New Men's Marathon World Record

Options
CarsonRuns
CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
Kenya’s Wilson Kipsang has broken the marathon world record in Berlin. The 31-year-old won the race in just 2 hours 3 minutes and 23 seconds, 15 seconds faster than the previous record.

http://www.dw.de/kenyas-wilson-kipsang-breaks-world-record-at-berlin-marathon/a-17121727

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Absolutely incredible time!!!!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    That is insane! That's a 4:42 pace per mile, or 8.4 5Ks in a row at a pace of 14:38 for each of them. Damn!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    FLYING!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I did 2:03 once but race organizers insisted I needed the last 10+ miles too
  • __Di__
    Options
    That is insane! That's a 4:42 pace per mile, or 8.4 5Ks in a row at a pace of 14:38 for each of them. Damn!

Exactly!

Dang, I would be happy to be able to run ONE mile at that pace, let alone keep going for 26.2 miles at that speed!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    That is just an unbelievable pace. I'd have trouble doing that in my car... damn DC traffic. :laugh:
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I did 2:03 once but [the] race organizers insisted I needed the last 10+ miles too

ha ha. My thoughts too. I think it was an incredible race. I am also inspired by Kipsang's dedication to the goal (of winning the world record). I wonder if Makau being there would have made a difference. Congratulations!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I can't maintain that pace for 100 meters.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Incredible! Here I am hoping for a sub 4- hr full and he ran it twice as fast! I think that's the awesome part of running though! There is always someone that is faster or can run further than you... Always new goals to make :drinker:
  • __Di__
    Options
    I see some *kitten*, however, managed to steal the final bit of glory from Kipsang though. By gatecrashing that final sprint and going through the tape first, that is something that cannot be undone.

I hope they caught the wipe and arrested him. One big publicity stunt for his seedy little business, makes me sick.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I saw this last night and about died when I calculated the mile pace. I ran my first half in the time it took him to run a full.....some people are just amazing!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    He looked strong the entire race. I was happy to see Desi back out there looking healthy as well.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I wish I could have been on the sidelines as a spectator and watch him fly by!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone suprised? Kenya breeds their runners with cheetahs! I want blood tests to prove pure human DNA!

(I am just joking, super happy for Kipsang!)