September final weeks -- September 16 to 30

Options

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    16 miles today means 57.7 for the week.

MTD: 164.

Probably should have set a higher goal because I have 60 miles on the calendar for next week. I already have my training schedule done for October so I should be able to set a better goal.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    20.1 miles, first 14.1 miles at 10 minute pace, the last 6 miles at 10:40. Achilles was bothering me at 10 miles but then subsided, and it didn't get worse. So pretty happy with the run.

I don't think I could go further than that, really beat. I am also going to be bad and have some bubblies now to celebrate, and hopefully that will not be too bad for recovering. :drinker:
  • Cooriander
    Options
    I had to do 20 because of j_courter. :tongue: :smokin:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Big week this week.

M - 6.6
    T - 10.1+5.6=15.7
    W - 12
    H - 9
    F - 10.5
    S - 10.3
    S - 21.1

WTD - 85.3
    MTD - 227.0
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    9/19 - 5.25 miles
    9/20 - 5 miles
    9/22 - 12 miles
    MTD - 99.21 miles
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    28 miles this week including 5K PR of 27:36!
    MTD 81.1 miles
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    24 Sep 9 miles
    WTD 9 miles
    MTD 105.25 miles
    Goal achieved:glasses:
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Hi Runners,

HELP!! I need some input from the marathon experts regarding pacing and setting a time goal :tongue: :frown: :drinker: :bigsmile:

I am scheduled to run a marathon on October 5 (yes really HELP!!!!) it is mostly downhill but have rollers at 8/11 and 18 miles, and I am super worried, because my training slowed unexpectable, I lost motivation and crashed in June/July (I think b/c of the delayed processing of my parents situation, but I am back to running now and hopefull not TMTS). I still did some running during this down period but it was minimal.

In the last four weeks I have kept a 40+ weekly mileage. My longest run is at 20 miles last weekend (but it includes 4-5 miles on the tread mill because of the hills (mostly uphill :bigsmile: hah! right) and a sore achilles - it is chronic so I can't do much about it except the normal things massage stretching etc. I did this run at a 10:06 average pace, somewhat faster on the tread. The last road miles were at 10:48/10:50/and 11:10 (ugh). My long runs are; 13, 13, 11, 16, 17, and 20.

I am not even sure where I should set my goal. My dream goal was initially 3:59 but that seems optimistic now, my secondary goal is 4:29:19 (to surpass Oprah), and my third goal is 5 hours. I did a 1:48:27 half last year.. and I have a recent 15K at 1:19:44 almost 2 weeks ago, and my most recent 5K is at 24:03 (same week as the 15K).

I just did a 6 mile run today, and I felt I was worked really hard at a 9:45 minute pace! Now I am wondering if I should just forget the sub 4 goal? And go for a sub 4:30? or maybe 5hrs?

Or maybe keep a 9:30 pace - 4:09 (but that time just seems like an odd time for a goal- but maybe that is the most appropriate)?
    What do you think?
    [sorry for the lengthy message but appreciate any response :flowerforyou: ]
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    9/27- 5 miles
  • j_courter
    Options
    Cooriander- I would actually recommend scheduling walking intervals. It sounds nuts, in fact, that's what I thought when someone recommended it to me, but it can give your body a chance to recover a bit and then you can actually run faster on your intervals, evening out the time with much less stress on your body.

"Why do walk breaks work?
    By using muscles in different ways from the beginning, your legs keep their bounce as they conserve resources. When a muscle group, such as your calf, is used continuously step by step, it fatigues relatively soon. The weak areas get overused and force you to slow down later or scream at you in pain afterward. By shifting back and forth between walking and running muscles, you distribute the workload among a variety of muscles, increasing your overall performance capacity. For veteran marathoners, this is often the difference between achieving a time goal or not.

Walk breaks will significantly speed up recovery because there is less damage to repair. The early walk breaks erase fatigue, and the later walk breaks will reduce or eliminate overuse muscle breakdown. "

To see the whole article http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

You can do this! :-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Or maybe keep a 9:30 pace - 4:09 (but that time just seems like an odd time for a goal- but maybe that is the most appropriate)?
    What do you think?
    [sorry for the lengthy message but appreciate any response :flowerforyou: ]

I would go more conservative. Maybe even starting out at around a 10:30 pace or so. Do that for 7 to 10 miles and if you are feeling good, drop to 10:00s. When you hit 20 miles, if you feel like you still have something, drop to 9:30s and bring it home.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Sorry Cooriander - no advice but interested in the replies. I am doing my first marathon 3 Nov and currently wondering how I go from my 3 hour long runs to the prob 4.30-5 hour marathon. Winding myself up!!

27 Sept 4.3miles speed work
    WTD 17.65
    Mtd 113.9 miles
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the marathon Cooriander! I will be interested to see what you end up doing with pacing.

I finished up my September goal today with a 10-mile run with a new running friend. We blabbed the whole time, which was a first for me. Definitely made the time pass faster, and I'm glad to see that I am capable of holding up my end of a conversation at training pace. I have been using gels during my 10+ runs, definitely can feel the extra kick.

Went conservative this month at 60 miles, going to up my mileage for October to 80 miles. Doing my first half in November.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Hi Runners,

HELP!! I need some input from the marathon experts regarding pacing and setting a time goal :tongue: :frown: :drinker: :bigsmile:

I am scheduled to run a marathon on October 5 (yes really HELP!!!!) it is mostly downhill but have rollers at 8/11 and 18 miles, and I am super worried, because my training slowed unexpectable, I lost motivation and crashed in June/July (I think b/c of the delayed processing of my parents situation, but I am back to running now and hopefull not TMTS). I still did some running during this down period but it was minimal.

The "mostly downhill" part is what worries me a bit. Have you been training on the hills? That is going to be murder on your legs if you haven't done a lot of downhill training. I've heard folks say that a good hard downhill workout will help, even one week out from the race. But I've never tried that myself, so take it with a grain of salt...otherwise I like Carson's advice, start out very slowly and don't worry about your overall time; the goal is to finish without it becoming a death march.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Okay, folks, the October spreadsheet is ready. Head on over and enter your goals for next month!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107120-october-let-s-go
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I've only ever run one marathon. so not sure I can help that much.

I have a half Marathon on the same day - I feel my training has gone a bit like yours. I'm going for the "Carson plan" - conservative start and step it up depending how I feel.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Not regular posting :-(

7Sep->5.9
    8Sep->6.0
    11Sep->3.2
    12Sep->3.2
    14Sep->10.1
    15Sep->1.1
    19Sep->5.9
    22Sep->14.2
    24Sep->3.2
    28Sep->6.6

MTD 59.6

I have the Royal Parks half marathon next week. I was targetting 2 hours - but over the last six weeks seem to have really lost pace - not really sure why; I'll just have to see how I do.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Congrats Leanz on finishing your goal!!!

Sarah - I started having company on my long runs as well, it really helps! (: the only bad part of it is that we run to fast when we chat!! LOL. Good luck on training for you half!

Black cloud - you may be recovering for your 14 miler? (accounting for the 'lost pace'), so perhaps 2 hours is still in the cards!!!
  • Cooriander
    Options
    thanks guys for the advice on pacing. The course has a big 1 mile hill at 7 miles, and .3 miles of it is 4% grade, so I need to save up for that one!

It seems I will really need to get in my head I must really go slow the first few miles. I always start fast, and die late on (for longer races), so it will be hard to break out of this habit. But I understand a marathon if different. I am very happy I got a 20 miler in, that is helping me feel more ready.

I am scared of running breaks, but that is how I have been doing my longer runs so I will probably do some of those as well especially when picking up water & fuel.

I just ran 10+3 (slow) miles today, and I felt really good, giving me more confidence.

thanks again!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: !!!
  • j_courter
    Options
    9/28- 6.24 rough miles on wasted legs!