Goals - short term and long term

Options
Via_14
Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
So guys i think goal setting is very important to weight loss so I was wondering what your goals are for becoming a healthier weight?

Mine are:

Short term - lose 5kg in incremental stages till i hit 30kg
healthy diet
60 min walks daily

Long term - lose 50kg
buy new clothes and shoes!

Replies

• larrytricia
    Options
    I would agree that goals are important. When you find yourself where I am at, a short and long term goal wont quite cut it. I have to chop my goals into stages.

Stage 1 - loose 33 pounds to get under 250 - this will have required me to maintain a healthy eating and walking lifestyle so my joint pains and back problems should have lessoned.

Stage 2 - loose another 50 to get under 200 - Also hope to have a major change by this point in all areas of internal health (cholestorol, blood pressure, blood sugar) and hope the struggle to maintain a healthy food and exercise lifestyle will no longer be a DAILY struggle.

Stage 3 - loose another 50 to get under 150 - By this point I am hoping that my physical ailments will have transformed themselves. I have not seen this weight since I was in middle school

LONG term - find a healthy weight around the 120 - 130ish range and MAINTAIN - I can not even imagine what internal, mental/emotional, and all other life areas will be like when/if I make this goal. I am sure eager to find out.

I need to figure out some incentive to go with my stages, but that has always been a difficult endevour and still haven't found anything good yet.

I will be interested to see what the group members here are dealing with and working toward.
  • GKSTcoach
    GKSTcoach Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been heavy since age 1. I haven't been under 200 lbs since I was a senior in high school...23 years ago. My ultimate goal (long-term) is to get back to 200 lbs. and maintain!

The benefits are also goals: avoid diabetes, kidney disease, cancer, blood pressure issues, etc.

Right now, aside from my obesity, my health is ok, but all of the above are in my immediate family, so I want to get healthier.

My exercise short-term goals are to swim at least 3 times a week (more when the pool opens more than 3 days a week), work out on a stationary bike at least twice a week, and eventually work up to an elliptical 10 minutes a day, three times a week. I insist on taking one day off from exercise just for myself.

My food short-term goals include no sugar or junk food. So far I'm doing pretty well in that area. Have only had something sugary in the last 50 days, and I've had no junk food during those 50 days.

My other short-term goal is to utilize MFP every day and watch my sodium levels (kidney disease).

So that's my thinking in a nutshell.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Very true and important goals there guys, thanks for sharing.

@larry: Yea i have to break my goals down to more specific ones like you have mentioned which i do bt have nt written, all the best to you!

@GKST: your goals are good too! i can really relate to them and jst might steal a couple for my list ;)