What's your approach?

Options
There are many paths one can take on their way to fitness.
As I said in my weigh-in post, I have actually increased my calories from my original goal and incorporated heavy lifting into my workout program.
I usually lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I do cardio for whatever 3 days works best with my schedule and have 1 day a week as a rest day. I also try to do Yoga in addition when I can. I took the author's suggestion in NROLFW and do an interval run, rest, and then endurance run on my cardio days. The author seems to have a lot of negative things to say about doing a lot of endurance cardio, BUT I'm training for a 10k in October as well, so I need to. It doesn't seem to be hurting my lifting and I've been steadily able to increase weights every workout!
As far as eating goes I try to eat at least 5 meals a day. I have changed my macro goals to 40% carbs 30% fats and 30% proteins. I'm going off of the NROLFW calorie suggestions for my height and weight, though I'm thinking of dropping it down by another 100 calories and seeing how I feel. I do still eat some processed foods and I do still eat out sometimes, but nowhere near as much as I used to and eating is really a work in progress for me. Since changing my diet I've started to crave healthier things, for example I've been wanting salads a lot for lunch. I think I could eat a salad every day if available (I just have to not be lazy and make sure my salads are prepared on days that I work!)

What have you found to be successful for you? What didn't work for you?

Replies

• vision4life
    vision4life Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I currently doing Jillian Michel's 30 Day Shread. I am on week 2. Along with shread I also go on walks pushing stroller. I am watching my diet along with it. workign on increasing protein intake. My diet fall, anything spicey and fried. I know.... I am working on it. I keep strict eye on my diary and work on not going over my calorie goal.
    Days when I burn more than 500 calories during excercise I increased my calorie intake so My net calories don't go below 1000.
    Good luck everyone and lets look fabulous by christmas....
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    As far as diet, it's in the process of a huge change right now. My husband and I are going gluten free after finding out that I'm gluten sensitive. I guess I'm not a total Celiac, but close to. Which is a shame because I'm huge beer lover. So I found a great site called "A Girl Defloured" that has given me great ideas and recipes for ways that I can be gluten free and still enjoy the foods I love, but it's definitely a work in progress as opposed to a success. But time will tell. The little things that have been a success is making as much as I can from scratch so that I can decide what goes into things, and going shopping twice a week instead of once so that I get more fresh food in my diet without it going bad before I can get to it. I don't follow paleo or clean or anything like that, but I do try to focus on getting my fiber, protein, and iron. Those are the ones that I'm always a little short on.

For fitness, I do a lot. I like doing home workout videos since the gym near us sucks. We also live on the hottest, driest, least shaded part of Oahu (but hey! It's also the cheapest! ;P ), so being in with the air conditioning is really nice. I'm doing a combo of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (a lot of focus on strength building), T25 (great cardio, you're sweating in 2 minutes), and videos from the blog Blogilates. She does some great flexibility workouts. The other 2 programs definitely come up short in flexibility. I like doing 1/2 to 1 hour workouts in the morning and the same at night. I started slow, and I know that once I'm in maintenance I'll be doing less, but having built myself up to 2 workouts a day is working out fantastically for me. My husband does the same, so it's nice to have someone to kick my butt when I need it. It also helps me keep my studio clean since I have to pick up my crap off the floor in order to workout. Bonus!
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I currently doing Jillian Michel's 30 Day Shread. I am on week 2. Along with shread I also go on walks pushing stroller. I am watching my diet along with it. workign on increasing protein intake. My diet fall, anything spicey and fried. I know.... I am working on it. I keep strict eye on my diary and work on not going over my calorie goal.
    Days when I burn more than 500 calories during excercise I increased my calorie intake so My net calories don't go below 1000.
    Good luck everyone and lets look fabulous by christmas....

I keep hearing about the 30 day shred but I'm not sure what kind of stuff is in her videos. What do you plan on doing after the shred?
    What I like about NROLFW is that I'm going to be preoccupied with it for a while (about 6 months) and won't have to plan something new for a while, lol.
    Mmm, fried food. I miss fried chicken. :( Though I find the more I eat anything fast food, especially fried, makes me feel kind of sick. I don't know if that's a good thing because I won't eat it as much or a bad thing because now when I want to enjoy it I can't.
    As far as diet, it's in the process of a huge change right now. My husband and I are going gluten free after finding out that I'm gluten sensitive. I guess I'm not a total Celiac, but close to. Which is a shame because I'm huge beer lover. So I found a great site called "A Girl Defloured" that has given me great ideas and recipes for ways that I can be gluten free and still enjoy the foods I love, but it's definitely a work in progress as opposed to a success. But time will tell. The little things that have been a success is making as much as I can from scratch so that I can decide what goes into things, and going shopping twice a week instead of once so that I get more fresh food in my diet without it going bad before I can get to it. I don't follow paleo or clean or anything like that, but I do try to focus on getting my fiber, protein, and iron. Those are the ones that I'm always a little short on.
    It seems there's some options for beers for you, actually! http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/tp/GlutenFreeBeers.htm
    Another part of this site says that rum, wine, and some others are also option (I am partial to rum myself!)
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/copingwiththediet/a/AlcoholicDrinks.htm

I believe a lot of paleo recipes are also gluten free, so those sites don't hurt, and allrecipes has plenty of recipes that cater to gluten free folks. I also have a lot of trouble using my produce in time. :( I feel bad for wasting it but I get stuff with the intention to make things and then I end up not having the time to do it! I still haven't really worked out a solution for that yet.
    I like doing 1/2 to 1 hour workouts in the morning and the same at night. I started slow, and I know that once I'm in maintenance I'll be doing less, but having built myself up to 2 workouts a day is working out fantastically for me.
    {/quote]

Two workouts in a day! Where do you find the energy?!
  • shirlinap
    shirlinap Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @kayla First, congrats on your success and on your progress to your 10k goal!! Hopefully I can say the same some day sooon!!

Right now.. I'm just now starting on my journey.. and most of all, I'm sure like you and most others, want to make this a lifestyle change. My ultimate goal is to eat lots of fresh foods most of the time and the occasional dine out ..instead of the other way around! :/ haha

@vision.. I am the same way! I love my fried foods!! I always say I'll start tomorrow and tomorrow never comes! lol Yesterday I decided to put my foot down and get a group going! I need the help and encouragement, french fries taste too amazing lol

@kayla I was very fit in 2007 and kept it off for a while doing basically the same thing as you. That is my plan.. to eat 6 small healthy meals and workout 6x a week. I'm working out 5x a week now so if anyone wants to me a little push on Saturday that would be awesome!! haha I bartend so I won't get home until 5 or 6am Sat and I deftinitely want to relax all day.. then football season just started and I go to University of Alabama so its really hard to go to the gym when everyone is out tailgating! yikes!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I plan on riding my bike to work 3x a week for my cardio and hike on the weekend. I also would like to add weight lifting (p90x) to help tone up what I have.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Two workouts in a day! Where do you find the energy?!

Coffee. It's my "pre-workout". Lol. I usually down a cup (and I mean DOWN IT, like when you did beer chug races in college) 15 minutes or so before my workout. By then I'm shaking to the point I can't sit still anyways, so I workout!
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My approach is attempt to eat a percentage less of my maintenance calories, and burn about 500cal through a mix of lifting and cardio daily, which totals to about 1000 calories burn per week. My heart rate monitor tracks the calories I burn through exercise. As for diet, I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day. 1200 is too little...I get super grouchy.

Good luck everyone!
  • jbuc07
    jbuc07 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity. Well, that's the plan anyway. I've tried 3 times now, and only made it 2 weeks. It's rough, but I'm hoping to control my calories this time, and see some BIG changes. I supposed if I can't lose 20#, but I can have a toned body, I'd be ECSTATIC! :love: I'm absolutely TERRIBLE with diets. Terrible. So, I'm going to log everything I eat, which, btw, today will be embarrassing. And hopefully, on an average, keep it ~1300-1500.
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    Going to start C25K with my 12yr old who just signed up for cross country at his school. Lead by example.... no more like having someone with me to call 911 when I fall over....lol
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm doing yoga 2x/wk. Plan on doing JM's 6W6P 3x/wk. Going to the gym 1x/wk. And do ab work in the morning before work. So working out 6x/wk with a rest day on Sundays (my weigh in day).

So the goal is to workout 2x/day, 6x/wk and hopefully I can get my diet back under control (like I said in my intro, I have been stalled for 9 months after losing 30lbs (but I also gained back 10 lbs after losing 40!)

I would like to loose that 10 I gained back!!
  • MorganOfTroy
    MorganOfTroy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Uh, wow you guys are all awesome!!. I can't get myself going at all! I did 4 weeks of insanity last October before I got pregnant, and haven't lifted a finger since. I don't know where to start now that I have an infant to care to all day. I go back to work in 2weejs and I'm afraid that will make it even harder to find time. Anyone have luck with any of those "10 minute" work out programs?
  • awlosing30
    awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I decided over the weekend that I'm going to concentrate my gym time on heavy cardio and heavier weights. Going from working out 2-3 x's a week to 5-6x's a week. Eating is normal (with the occasional slip ups) but I need to drink protein shakes afer each workout now that I'm upping what I lift. (And by heavy weights, I mean going from 5-10 lbs - 10-15 lbs) :)