Gluten free Pasta noodles?

Options
I usually do not try to "substitute" regular foods with "gluten free" copy cats because I have found that most of those products have been made with flours that are just too high in carby starches for my weight loss efforts.
:flowerforyou: However I would like to try to find a substitute for pasta noodles to make an upcoming special occasion family gathering meal. Is there any tried and true varieties?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to do homemade or store bought? As far as homemade, I tried the pasta from "A Girl Defloured" and it was great for lasagna. Haven't tried it with smaller noodles though. You could also try using zucchini or summer squash as the noodles or mixing some in with the pasta to lighten up on the starches. I do that with spaghetti. You just use a julienne peeler or attachment on a mandolin to make the "fake noodles" and then saute them for 2-3 minutes. They twirl like pasta and they are delicious. I use this this trick to make my husband eat more vegetables. He'll eat them if they're included with his meatballs and red sauce! I'm sure this works with kids as well as husbands.

As far as store bought, I hear nothing but great thing about RP's pasta. I think it's in the frozen section though. I haven't tried it since it's hard to find where I am, but if you see it, that's worth a try. If you're looking for box, I hear Ancient Harvest and the rice based pastas are good too. I have tried Ancient Harvest for shrimp scampi and it was great. It had a similar texture to whole wheat pasta. With a bit of nutty taste and a little firmer than normal pasta. But I hear rice based pastas are more similar to the white flour pastas. So it depends on what you're used to. I'm not sure about how much starch they have in them, but at least for a special occasion, they're an option.

What are you making btw? Give some updates on how it turns out!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Store bought: I like Rizopia pastas.
  • demandablue
    Options
    Trader Joes brown rice noodles are great! Not slimy or soggy at all like a lot of brands. The tubey ones are better than the spirals. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I prefer the quinoa pastas. Probably actually more nutritious than actual pasta. And has a good texture and taste.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Tru Roots brand gluten free penne pasta that's my favorite. Of all the gf pasta I've tried this stuff holds up the best. I can't stand mushy pasta so that's important to me. :)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Prince Ronzoni Gluten Free is great. Tastes exactly the same as regular pasta. My husband loved it and he's as picky as they come.
  • Lonapaterson
    Lonapaterson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you- every one, for your prompt and kind replies!
    I am planning on making a family traditional recipe for Lasagna.
    I was thinking on using thin zucchini alternately with a good GF noodle.
    I am going to Amazon search some of your suggestions.
    I live in a very small town, so my shopping choices are VERY limited, so I may need to make a list for my next months "out of town" shopping trip.
    :) once again = many Thanks!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Pastabilities is "ok" ... kinda gritty.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sam Mills corn pasta is great
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I like the Sam Mills corn pasta and the Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta best. I've also used the Heartland brand at Wal-Mart and the De Boles and it's been fine. Most people seem to like the Tinkyada pasta but for some reason it never turns out right for me.
  • mandy623
    mandy623 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My go to pasta is bionaturae organic gluten free I know Whole Foods carries this product. they come in about 4 or 5 different styles (shapes). It is a rice, potato and soy blend.

For lasagna noodles I use Tinkyada Pasta Joy Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles locally I have found them at Kroger.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I love Tinkyada pasta. It is the only one I have found in my area that has a non mushy texture. Even those who can eat gluten can't tell the difference between it and regular pasta.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like the brown rice substitutes for wheat pasta. Quinoa and corn are a bit grittier, but also tasty. There are numerous Asian noodles that are simply gluten free, not substitutes for wheat pasta. Besides the obvious rice noodles in thick and thin versions, there are mung bean threads and yam noodles. They're all amazing.

I haven't had a problem with gluten free pasta being mushy. I stand by while it's cooking, and test frequently.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For lasagne I replace the noodles with zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant...slice them thin, fry them in a skillet with some earth balance and italian seasoning, layer them in the lasagne pan just like noodles...tastes fantastic and no pasta necessary...
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've tried tons of them and like the Ancient Harvest quinoa/corn blend the best. Rice noodles were too mushy/bland for me.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Both Ronzoni And De Boles make great GF pasta since I am GF and they are delicious!
  • Lonapaterson
    Lonapaterson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AWESOME IDEA!
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also use zuccini or make my own noodles. To make my own I use:

1 cup flour (usually white rice flour but a gf flour mix works great too
    1 tsp xanthan gum if the mix doesnt have it
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp olive oil

mix it up and roll it out! I have a pasta roller. They sell for less than $20.

If the noodles are sticky, add more flour! its better to start with it a little on the wet side as its easier to add flour during rolling.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't try the quinoa noodles. I love quinoa itself, but the noodles just turn into a big mess. They stick together horrid even if you put oil in the water, and stir them constantly. Now any of the corn pastas they work very well. The one I use is De Boles.
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We tried Catelli GF noodles last night, they're awesome! They are a white rice/brown rice/corn/quinoa mix and they have a texture close to real pasta.