Squats and leaning forward

Options
Yesterday as I was doing my squats, I felt like I was leaning forward and my lower back started to hurt a bit. So I videoed myself and sure enough-saw I was leaning forward way too much-Bar was not in alignment with the mid of my foot. Can anyone provide me some suggestions on how to avoid leaning forward when moving up from the squat?
Thanks!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    this is my problem, when the weight gets heavy they turn into half-good-mornings.

firstly, I'd deload to the point where you have good form. Then as you build back up it's about making sure that the hips don't rise faster than the chest (my problem) - yes the hip drive provides the impetus but the chest has to keep up. someone said 'tits out' which is a cheeky cue which is easily memorable! I also find the 'keep the bar path straight' quite helpful.

I'm not very technical, I'm sure someone will have a better explanation!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you've pretty much described the exact problem I was having with squats, i.e. hips moving up too fast and chest not catching up.

I second the advice re deload
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I asked a power lifter friend of mine to help me on form - especially in squats because I knew I was carrying the bar too high and leaning forward. My squats are MUCH better now. He had me do something different today that I'm going to keep doing because I found it really helpful.

First, I know I'm breaking "the rules" (sarcasm fully intended) because I do most of the 5x5 in the Max Rack. For me, until I get to more than 160 pounds, I'm not at all concerned about using the Max Rack. But, it means I pull the bench out of it every time I use it. Today, Greg put the bench back in behind me. He had me use the end of it as a "seat" or guide for me. I need to remember to stick my butt out behind me more and keep my back straighter. With the bench behind me, I use it like I'm sitting down. I can then use it as a sort of guide as to how low I am going. This may not be helpful for everyone, or anyone else, but I found it really helpful in getting me to be more straight up and down.

He also reminds me, a lot, to keep my heels on the ground. If they're down, I can't be leaning forward. Squats feel much more natural for me now, although I am only at 60# so far.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Are you pushing your knees out? Your heels should be at shoulder width and your toes turned out at 30 degrees. Keep your knees pushed out in line with your toes. I find that when my knees cave, my squats turn into good mornings. Do you have a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe? If not, pick one up ASAP and read the section on squats. He goes into great detail about this.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome replies! I will do all off these. I like having the bench behind you as a guide point to help remind me and get me back in alignment. thank you all for your information!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Are you pushing your knees out? Your heels should be at shoulder width and your toes turned out at 30 degrees. Keep your knees pushed out in line with your toes. I find that when my knees cave, my squats turn into good mornings. Do you have a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe? If not, pick one up ASAP and read the section on squats. He goes into great detail about this.

^^^THIS. LOVE Starting Strength. Very dry but a must read.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Does it matter which edition of Starting Strength I get?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    A guy at the gym offered me this advice and it did seem to work for me - he said to curl my toes during the squat. I guess it helps push you back onto your heels.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Does it matter which edition of Starting Strength I get?

you need the current version - unless you are in the US it seems impossible to get in paperback format, but the kindle version has a free sneak peek which includes the whole chapter on squats (I don't have a kindle but there is a free kindle app in the android store!).. well worth it :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm in the U.S., but the latest edition is a lot more expensive. I was hoping to get by with the previous edition.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would get the most recent edition of Starting Strength. I have the Kindle version, 3rd edition, and I refer to it quite a bit. I have it on my phone, too (Android kindle app syncs automatically and you can download whatever books you purchased onto any of the devices you have). Being able to search it is a big bonus.

About squat mornings: keeping the torso angle constant is something you have to work on consciously. That's the "not the legs" part of your squat, or more precisely, "not the quads". Your entire posterior chain will be involved in keeping the torso from caving under the weight of the bar, and that is the main way through which the squat trains your abdominal and spinal muscles. So just keep working at it, keep everything tight, and work with a manageable weight. If the weight is slightly heavier than you can manage without effort, you will make progress.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Rip has said v2 is pretty much defunct. the kindle version is much much cheaper than the paperback!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I got the paperback v. 2 and it's still useful. There are a couple of changes that I hope he made in v.3 but I'd rather have this than nothing, or than trying to read it on a kindle. I use a kindle for 95% of my pleasure reading, but the paperback is easier to consult while working out/resting.

My biggest complaint is that he will show several form problems but not clearly label which picture shows the correct form.

This is not a problem in the 3rd edition--each Fig is labeled, and the surrounding text makes it clear which of the two pics shows the right form. They tend to put the "right" form in the second of two pics, though, so if there is a Fig A and Fig B, the latter will be the one to follow. Just make sure the surrounding text agrees.

There is a DVD that probably makes things a lot clearer for people who learn better from videos than books. I haven't picked it up yet.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Tagging in as I have this issue. :grumble:
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to all of this (11 workouts now), but I made a mental change that seems to be helping me. I found as I got tired it helped me to focus on the squat as to separate exercises. My brain was saying, "Okay now keep back, go low enough, don't bend forward on the way down, remember to breathe, now stand up, weight on your heels, chest out" and there was so much to focus on I think I'd mess myself up.

Now I just focus on all the things I need to think about to move down into the squat. Then I let myself think about everything needed to correctly move back into the standing position.

It seems silly, but I'm still trying to get to the point where it all happens naturally without so much thought, and this seems to help until more of an autopilot and muscle memory develops.

PS - I'm LOVING this program and you experienced ladies on here are just AMAZING!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Ditto here - this is why I'm sticking at my current weight until I'm the boss of form at it. THEN I'll move up. I have to focus on every. Single. Squat.