Medication Challenges

Options
mindywilliam
mindywilliam Posts: 11 Member
If you've been diagnosed with bipolar or were just recently diagnosed, you are either a seasoned pro at meds or are just learning about how they could help or impact your life. This is the thread to discuss these issues. Remember, these are member's opinions only and are not to be considered professional medical advice.

What challenges do you face taking medications for your situation and trying to improve your overall health?

Replies

• justbeingjlo
    Options
    My Story - since I was a pre-teen I was told I had depression. In my early twentys I was told I had severe depression. It wasn't until my thirties that I was finally diagnosed with Bi-Polar 2 disorder w/ Manic Depression. So needless to say I was going untreated for more than 20 years. I've experienced a lot of challenges with medication but my worst was with Celexa. My body became addicted to it and when I missed more than 2 doses I had to be hospitalized from the withdrawal symptoms. When I found out I was bi-polar 2 my doc weaned my off Celexa but even that was a challenge. I ultimately had to take 2 weeks off from work and take tranquilizers just to get through all the symptoms.

I was so scared that about the depressive bouts but I feel I was lucky to have a great support system to see me through them. Finally off Celexa and on Cymbalta and a few other meds as well. After 1 year, I feel great! Yes, I still struggle with it but at least I know what's wrong and why I am the way I am. And more important my family doesn't think Im psycho anymore lol. They feel better knowing mom's ok.

So my advice is: If it's not working, chances are you need to speak w/ your doctor about your options. There's a whole lot of drugs out there and you just need to see what works best for you. Don't be afraid to get second/ third opinions. This one cost me 20+ years of my life for not doing it sooner. And try to have someone to be your support system through the touch times.

JLO
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is managing 2 official diagnosis and a hidden anorexic streak. I am bipolar 1 with psychotic tendencies and also have Generalized anxiety. I don't take a lot of meds but I struggle sometimes to remember to take them . I had early onset at 14 - full blown psychosis at 16... enough paranioa to keep me from seeking help until a major crisis hit me so hard that I had been suicidal for months in 2008.

The meds make me be more cautious about over exerting myself at as working out for long periods of time and heat affect me greatly. I gained weight when first put on meds but that could have been moving from an active job to a sedentary one. It is nice knowing that I can count on my meds to help me sleep- manic highs and deep depressions make sleep difficult.
  • DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, new to the group. My Dr & I have found a great combo for me. It keeps me stable & allows me to lose weight. The problem that I'm now having is that I feel so good that I don't want to take them. I have to have an argument with myself everyday to take them. Does anyone else go through this?
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yes, usually when my underlying condition is manic.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This used to be a difficult topic for me, but now I have long since accepted and have searched for places where others go through some of the same experiences. I began my depression when I was just 10 yrs of age .My parents would often get phone calls from school to come get me as I was non-stop in tears. By the time I was 16 I would go from being home in depression to being out drinking and living a care free life behind their back.

At 22 married with 2 children I hit rock bottom , hospitalized where I was diagnosed Bipolar 2 ,Manic/depression and chronic anxiety .Finally answers. It took a few years and many med changes as I am a rapid cycler which gives me even a more difficult time at being stable for long . I take Tegretol, Epival, and Lamictal. I also take clonazepam 3 times a day and Ativan as needed for the anxiety. There are many times drugs are added when I am in a hypomanic stage or deep depression.

I know the main thing through this is that I have a husband who has been a rock and shows me nothing but support and much love through my illness as do my 3 wonderful boys. I think right now the most difficult is knowing my 20 year old has it, why? because it is past through genes.

The one thing I find is the weight gain is a get me down !!!