Hello, just rejoined

Options
rusaner1
rusaner1 Posts: 17 Member
Hello,

Just rejoined fitness pal after the dietician suggested I start tracking my proteins etc. Unfortunately I cannot access this on my phone as I have a new Blackberry Q10 and app is not available yet for my phone. This is ok as I tend to be more of a computer user for entry anyway.

I had my surgery May 31, 2013 after having my lap band removed Jan 2013 and my surgeon was Dr. Sohi. Absolutely love this guy he is amazing. I had no issues even though due to my surgery being a "redo" I was warned about the risks. I have lost 37 lbs total since before my surgery and promised myself to only weigh myself on Wednesday mornings so as not to become obsessive.

I recently had to call Roshni (my dietician at my clinic) as I had started to plateu with weight loss (might have been the 2 small meals I was eating per day) and also that I was really tired and sleeping lots. I had some bloodwork done today and am awaiting the results. I don't go back to the clinic until near the end of August.

So far, I am struggling with protein options. I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse so food needs to be portable and easy. Does anyone have any ideas what works for them? I find what I am using i.e. turkey pepperettes, cheese, crackers with cheese etc. usually contain alot of sodium so would like to try new ideas. i have trouble with plain tuna etc. as I need to mix with mayo or something. Just tried a new trick - mixed flakes of ham with 0% plain greek yogurt and alittle mayo and that really cut the fat and tasted good.

I am wondering about the whole hair loss thing? I know if you keep your protein high you won't lose any but does anyone know how much you usually lose?

Anyway, I hope this group keeps going, would be great to talk with some people who are going through the same thing. i live in Kitchener so don't get to my clinic for support groups etc as it is over an hour away. I am in this for the long term, failure is not an option so lets talk and get everyone motivated!

Replies

• JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good morning! What surgery did you have? VSG? There are lots of folks on here with different WLS's... lots of support. Good luck with your journey!

Do you use protein shakes? Some are quite good and lots of protein in them. I also keep Quest Protein bars handy - lots of protein and fiber - hard to get with our diets!

Other portable options - hard boiled eggs, string cheese, greek yogurt... I have those little blue freezy ice-packs and that will allow you to keep things cool at work.

Hair loss is probably inevitable for most regardless of protein or suplements... at least from what I've been reading and experiencing. It's not too bad - just a bit alarming. I was told to expect some just from the trauma of surgery and the lower calories we suddenly are eating. Mine started in month 4, but after a month it's slowing down. I make sure to get my protein in, along with extra iron and zinc. I've also taken biotin since before surgery.

Good luck!!!
  • rusaner1
    rusaner1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, yes I've been trying the eggs, greek yogurt and cheese etc. I'm just worried because of the carbs and calories. I know they say not to worry about that but feel that I am over on all these things.

I have roux en y gastric bypass and am just finishing my 2nd month. I think I just lack the creativity or time to be creative and change up the same old stuff. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks
  • TriumphantLife
    TriumphantLife Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I like baked fish, and chicken. Im a creature of habit so I can eat the same foods over and over and not sick of it. As to the hair loss, I lost alot of my hair and my beautician used Nioxin for a couple of years to get it back. On the other hand my mother had surgery a year after me and lost over 100 pounds and didnt lose any of her hair so I think it's different for everyone.
  • scoopsgalore69
    scoopsgalore69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I've just rejoined myfitnesspal after being away for several months. I had gastric sleeve (VSG) on 9/23/13 and am 1 week post op. I've lost a total of 24 pounds since 9/13 and 16 pounds since last Monday. I'm back on board with myfitnesspal and look forward to chatting with everyone.
  • TriumphantLife
    TriumphantLife Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey how is everyone doing out there?
  • denisetrujillo1
    denisetrujillo1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I like baked fish, and chicken. Im a creature of habit so I can eat the same foods over and over and not sick of it. As to the hair loss, I lost alot of my hair and my beautician used Nioxin for a couple of years to get it back. On the other hand my mother had surgery a year after me and lost over 100 pounds and didnt lose any of her hair so I think it's different for everyone.

• denisetrujillo1
    denisetrujillo1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All is well