Just joined, starting week 4 this week. Any advice?

Options
LaChinaDoll
LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
Hi,
I've successfully done 3 weeks. Up and down the hills of the shenandoah valley. I keep reading post of people that quit. So far I've been able to keep up but I will admit I don't run straight through those free form runs, are you supposed to? Ill mainly do intervals during the free form times. The hills in my neighborhood kill my endurance but they don't stop me just slow me down a bit.

Replies

• DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! I took a super long break and am starting around there also.
    My route is really super hilly also, so I can't always run the whole time through the free-form runs at a steady pace, I slow a lot.

What was neat-o for me at least was to take a field trip to a more not-hilly area and I totally impressed myself with how much I could run at a steady, quick pace.

I think getting used to hills is important. So I wouldn't change the route or worry about not being able to run the whole thing, maybe just plan ahead and as you're approaching a hill say "okay I'm going to go slower as I approach it to try to keep my pace the whole way up and back down" :]
  • jetenold
    jetenold Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i will be starting week three tomorrow and i never run through the whole free form part - usually do some sort of intervals during that time. I don't think that hurts anything.
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There's not much activity in this group-- which is kind of sad because I'd love to hear from others about how they are doing with this. I love the app even though, as a newbie to running (last time I did any was in 1977-78!), it's been slow progress. Am curious to know how others determine whether to repeat a workout or a week before going on. Am surprised to hear that others have quit-- I find it very motivating (even though I repeat workouts all the time). Have never run the whole free-form part-- usually try to set a goal to run for a while every time Dr. Myers comes on to talk to me during the free form.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am brand new to MFP (on ww for in week 3). I signed up because every question I have lately that is fitness related is answered by the forums here. So thought I better join.
    I am on wk1 have completed the intro and 2 sessions.
    At the moment I am not able to run at all during free form - I started with a background in couch marathons, work as an IT nerd and am very unfit. I have about 75lbs to lose to just get into the healthy BMI for my height.

I was a bit naive and thought I would just be able to do this... and run the whole time by week 8
    I realise now that this is probably a bit optimistic given where I am starting from, so I will give myself permission to repeat days, but unsure how I will structure that.

I like the idea of running a little every time the doc talks!
    Thanks for that idea
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi, Qski! I've been taking it slow and often repeat. Am on week 3 but have been doing this for about 6 weeks. Had one week off because of a dislocated rib (ouch!) but I feel like if I go too fast and hurt myself, that won't do any good. The funny thing is, I'm starting (just this last week) to feel extra energy and a desire to jog a little on my walks (which I do on my "off" days from Zombies). Right now, only able to fit Zombies in about twice a week so am now thinking I might be able to finish around Christmas.

Have recommended Zombies Run! to lots of friends. It really is a lot of fun! :-)
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of the 5th week. I do all my training on the treadmill at the gym. I try not to go back and repeat episodes because I enjoy the spontaneity of experiencing each run for the first time. I really "get into" the story, and find myself answering out loud...which nets me strange looks sometimes, but I'm having fun and training at the same time.

My advice is to follow "the doctor's" advice and take a day or two off (but not more) between runs. If I try to space them too closely together I am often tired/sore and perform poorly.

Good luck, and please feel free to friend me so we can run from zombies together!