Daily Challenge 30/09/2013--Why are you here?

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Good morning! (Or afternoon, or evening--whenever you read this...)

Today you are challenged to review your motivations.

Why are you doing this?

Why are you bothering to do all this hard work, to make healthy food choices, maintain a modest calorie deficit, and do sweat exercisey stuff, when the world is full of tasty bad things to eat and comfy chairs in front of televisions to eat them in?

Tomorrow is a new month. So today you are going to review your reasons for doing this.

Yes, some of you have posted your motivations on your profile, and I know that some of you have deeply founded, and seriously important reasons that will never change--(I'm looking at YOU Mike!) But it never hurts to remind yourselves why you are doing this. Write it down again for the world (or at least our little group of travelers) to see!

For you folks, this will be easy. (And I envy you.)

For some of you this might be more difficult. You haven't filled out your profiles, or, like me, your reasons may have changed.

In my case, I have up to now, been a bit glib about why I started doing this. And frankly, what motivates me fill in my diary and monitor my food intake is different than it was three months ago.

So share once more why you are going to stick to your plan and continue to work hard in October.

Because we all have our reasons to get fitter. Share yours below.

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    As I've said before: Life is hard.

Being fat is hard. It is hard to move, hard to breathe, hard to find clothing that fits, hard to consider what you think others are thinking of you. Heck, it is hard to look in the mirror, honestly look in the mirror, not just to focus on where you need to shave...

Losing weight is hard. You have to actually watch what and how much you eat. You can't have all the treats you want, or you have to give up your favorite fried food (at least as a regular food consumption item.) OMG, you have to walk and exercise.

Choose your hard.

My chosen hard has had some really great benefits, but lately I'm finding it is a bit too easy to justify not going to the gym. That has to stop. Just because the days are getting shorter and life is getting difficult is not a free pass to turn back into a couch potato. That first domino can start the entire process again...
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    My motivation get healthy get off my meds, run around with my kids, go Black Friday shopping with my friends and not be the one that has to sit down after every store, to lose that next 38 lbs so I can wear my cute white jeans and treat myself to the mall of America - in my cute white jeans! To get on the scale and not cry when the number pops up! I am doing this for me and I am motivated!

Thanks for making us think this out Mark!
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    In no particular order (except the first one):

- I made a promise to my older son on the day he was born. I said to him that he would never know his daddy was a fat guy. My goal was to lose the weight before his permanent memories started forming. Well, it's almost 4 years later, and I can't keep that promise to him anymore. However, I can make damned sure that his memories of my being fat are fuzzy ones at best.

- I have another chance to do the same with my younger son. He's 17 months old.

- I HATE being overweight.

- I want to make myself stronger and healthier because these are things I can control in improving my quality of life.

- A strength and conditioning coach that I admire named Mark Rippetoe once said, "Strong people are harder to kill, and generally more useful." That resonates with me.

- I want to look good naked.

- I want to love running, jumping, and climbing, like my children do. That is really hard to do when you're lugging around a bunch of extra weight.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I had a wake up call recently.

I had dieted before dedicatedly and gained it back. For the last several years I've been trying to exercise more to lose the weight and not concentrate so hard on the diet. That was working as best as I could manage it with 3 kids (who are now under 7). I lost around fifty pounds... then I got pregnant w/ my last child and gestational diabetes. That scared me and I decided I was going to lose weight... so I decided exercising devotedly again and started to get hurt. First took out my shoulder, couldn't lift much, or swim very long with it. Worked through the pain of that and kept going. Then a bad twist took me out entirely for three months. I sprained the muscle that connected the groin to the thigh. I couldn't sit for the pain and the pain of standing on my feet for twelve hours w/ no sitting... aggravated it worse. I had to go on pain meds (which I am seriously against) to function normally again. I gained about 30 lbs during this time.

While this last bit was going on my husband was getting sick again and again. I had to take on more and more of his roles. I started to look into WLS. I thought maybe if I could get some of the weight off that way, maybe I would stop hurting myself and get back on track. To even be eligible for this in Canada we have to attend Weightwise clinics. They teach you about weight, calories, activity, healthy eating patterns, what tools you can use to help you. I learned about pedometers, and MFP and journalling. Since I don't really believe in doing anything half-way... here I am.

Especially since my husband was recently diagnosed w/ Crohn's and had to have a bowel reconstruction surgery. He presented unusually and they couldn't figure out what was wrong w/ him for 2 years. He terrified me and I don't think I can opt to go in for surgery now. Not knowing how scared I was for him.

So I need to get healthier and stronger and lighter. For me, my kids and my husband. So I go to clinics to help motivate me and I come to MFP, where I find encouragement and fun. That's why I'm here.

I'd also like to squish my butt on a rollercoaster. :tongue:
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have several reasons for why I'm here, both tangible and intangible.

Here's a list, in no particular order.

-To feel strong and healthy and comfortable in my body.
    -To be able to walk long distances without pain.
    -To go hiking and camping without feeling limited.
    -To love my body.
    -To feel sexy.
    -So that when I go to New York City next year for my best friend's wedding, I actually enjoy the trip and all that it entails, instead of feeling exhausted the whole trip.
    -Roller coasters!
    -So that when we're ready, my SO and I can safely start a family.
    -To feel beautiful on my wedding day.

There are more. So many more.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I want to have a baby, and I want to be in the best shape and health for when it happens. I want to be a cool mom, who plays everything with her kids.
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have a vast list of reasons...
    1: My health, I have asthma and losing weight would help with that. Also my brother just died from colon cancer @ 31years old, it runs in my family and is an obesity related disease so I am trying to provent it from happening to me.
    2: To feel comfortable in my body and confident about my mobility, I like to hike and go on adventures and dont want to be fearful about falling down and hurting myself.
    3: To be able to wear all my skinny clothes (there's a lot of em) and feel sexy for my husband
    4: To dance like I used too
    5: To feel confident about myself
    6: To have a renewed love for life
    7: To have children one day
    Really the list goes on and on. But I am starting to feel some of these things,starting to feel more confident, starting to feel like I can catch my breath easier and starting to feel that renewed love for life and that makes me excited :)
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am here, committed to this new lifestyle for loads of reasons:

My mother died of colon cancer at age 32 and my dad has type 2 diabetes.
    I want to wear "normal" size clothing and look good.
    I want to ride roller coasters, hike in Washington State, fly comfortably on a plane, sit in chairs without worrying if they will fall apart beneath me, and run a Disney marathon!
    My two sons, (25 and 21) have never seen me at my correct size.
    I am tired of being tired all the time.
    I simply want to be the best that I can be. :happy:
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I am here because I am saying NO NO to the YO-YO! I have lost this 50-60 lbs so often that it should come with a zipper.

Now I am in the most dangerous area for me... having lost 60 pounds, complacence starts to set in. My guard slips and the weight loss stops... and then starts to reverse... until I am right back where I started!! Also, as the weather turns cooler in the year, I usually start to eat like a mother bear preparing for hibernation.

I have a love/hate relationship with myself. I love that I have gotten this far and I hate that I let myself put on this much weight (and so many times). I have become my own twin! :noway: My high weight in my 20s was 135. How did I let myself think that 150, then 175, then 200, etc. was 'okay'?? Why did I wait this long to decide to do something???

The difference NOW?!? I am taking this on as a change of lifestyle, not a diet. I am NOT going backwards. And I am reaping the rewards already. When I was at my highest weight, I could barely get through 2 sets of tennis every other day. I played tennis on Sunday for two hours and almost 4 hours last night!! :bigsmile: I am seeing the benefits in many other things that I used to take for granted - like tying my shoes without finding a chair to sit in and my feet not hurting at the end of the day.

I am doing my very best to only focus on the future - regrets are a waste of energy and emotion now. Thanks to everyone in this group and on MFP who are so supportive on the journey. :flowerforyou:
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "This man beside us also has a hard fight with an unfavouring world, with strong temptations, with doubts and fears, with wounds of the past which have skinned over, but which smart when they are touched. It is a fact, however surprising." ~John Watson

"Be kind; for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~John Watson

Reading all of your posts has me kind of teary-eyed. I think you are all so amazing and inspirational!

I'll get to my reasons in a few, have to head home from work first!
  • Carysta
    Options
    OK, nicely home from work snuggled on the couch with my kitties and my veggies and dip :)

My main reason for this journey I've undertaken is that my health was deteriorating so badly, to the point where I almost couldn't walk to the lunchroom anymore from my desk at work. I realized that I was facing getting a walker, or doing something about my weight. I'm only 34, and that was a scary wake-up call. I didn't want to have to have a walker, and the part-pity part-scorn looks that would come with it wherever I went.

I have dreams that involve me not being an immobile blob. I used to love going for hikes, and I would love to be able to do that again. There are so many amazing places to visit, but having to stay on the flattest shortest trail is not nearly as fun as being able to explore the other trails. I can't wait til I can take the pretty hike at the Bruce Peninsula National Park again and go swim in the grotto there.

I want to be able to sit in a movie theatre without getting bruises from the arm rests. Ditto most places with chairs with arms. I'd love to not have to gingerly weight-test unfamiliar chairs in the hopes that I don't collapse them. I'd love to never have to replace a friend's toilet seat again...

I'd like to go to Wonderland again (is an amusement park for those not familiar with it) because right now I exceed all the weight restrictions on the rides. I love roller coasters and things!

I want to be able to do fun things with my friend's kids, who are very little but already know that Auntie needs to sit a lot and take breaks. I would love to go skating or sliding with them!

I want to be able to reach things that fall under my desk without needing a reacher. If I need to get something on my hands and knees, I want to be able to do that too, like if things roll under the couch. There are a lot of things I can't reach right now!

I want to be able to stand on my tip toes again. Not sure if that will ever really work what with the foot injury from when I broke my foot, but I think being lighter will make a big difference there!

I want to go shopping at a store where the sizes don't go to 6X. Some of those Old Navy clothes are so cute! I want to be able to wear pantyhose again so I can wear a skirt in the winter.

I want to put away the seatbelt extender for the car. And not have to request one anywhere else I go.

Some of my I-wants have been met already. I wanted to be able to wear some jeans, and I now fit in some jeans! That was a happy mini-victory. I can walk to and from the lunchroom at work without pain. These little changes are a sign that what I'm doing is worth the struggles. Some days it is so hard, but I really want all of the above to come to pass, and I think this time I will be able to do this!

I definitely have to thank all of you for sharing your stories, your struggles, and your support. We're all in this together!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Cary, your words echo my thoughts in so many ways it made me tear up! I am so happy you took this journey!!
  • Carysta
    Options
    *hugs* Holly, I'm glad we're all in this journey together :)
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Cary, What an inspirational story. I love that you are starting to notice changes in yourself! It's so motivational to start seeing improvement from within! I know it has motivated me recently :) Keep up the fantastic work! :flowerforyou:
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Cary, what an amazing read, you're such a wonderful person and I am SO impressed with how much hard work you've put into this. It's stories like this that make people like me stay on track and remember to do my best. For some of us it may take years, but oh man, it's going to be worth it <3