Glucose tolerance and low carb diet

Options
HI, I am trying to decide whether or not to do the test. I have 2 weeks to decide, but Im afraid Ill set myself up for failure. I dont eat too many carbs , relatively speaking. I am around 200 daily and on a day with a party ill be about 300. I have failed this test before but it was on a regular carb diet. And not exercising as much as I do now. What have you read or what have you done if you are in the same boat! Thanks :)

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed with gestational diabetes following the failed test? I would probably be extra cautious and want to know the results, if I had failed previously. I passed the test easily with a crappy diet, so I suspect a lot of it is just the luck of the draw.
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well last time I had to take the 3 hr , my concern is im already on the diet im sure the nutritionist would tell me to be on : / ... so im kind of like "whats the point" but i have never failed the 3 hr , only had to take it once and I was on a high (probably normal to some) carb diet. This is my 7th baby , so 6 times Ive been good :)
    If I had a crappy diet I dont think id be as concerned ! Im not srue that i can handel 50g sugar because that is 1/4 of my normal intake all day plus its 200 empty calories .. im having big issues with that :P
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had my glucose test yesterday.... I felt like $#!+ all day!!!

personally I think you should do it, who cares about the empty calories. You could either get peace of mind knowing that everything is ok or worst case scenario you are diagnosed with GD.

A nutritionist may give you extra tips and up to date info that you didn't have. I know you have been through this before but I believe that knowledge is power. Good luck no matter what you decide :)
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Ill let you know what i decide!
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had my test last week. I was very concerned about not passing due to sugar issues I had before getting pregnant. But, everything went well and my numbers were great. And yes, you don't feel the best afterwards, but I was glad to have it done. I am at 22 weeks. They are going to test me again at 30 weeks just to make sure my levels stay good.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The GD diet is very strict - I think much stricter than what you are doing now. I spoke to a woman who was on it recently.