Daily Chit-chat

Options
Happy Thursday all...lets make it a great day. It's almost the weekend!!!!! Speaking of the weekend, I am always excited for the weekend after a long week of work and school (for kids), but they always seem to get me off my routine in terms of healthy habits. So, weekends aren't usually a good thing for me. LOL Anyways, I need to reverse course and make weekends better in terms of healthy habits. This weekend will be a good start at it!!

Replies

• Jannah1208
    Options
    Weekends seem to be the time I have the most control. During the week with work and kids sometimes I am so busy, I grab whatever. So I have to plan out my meals and be prepared. During the weekends I have more time for activity, so if I do get caught with ordering pizza or something, I have a chance to get moving and work it off. We have a nice big homemade meal on Sundays. Everything gets turned off (phones, TV, computer) and we all sit at the table or even through a huge blanket on the grass outside and have a picnic. I usually a make healthy meal for this. Baked chicken with roasted vegs, a huge salad. Last week we made kale chips.
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I do know what you mean, skill133! We have a babysitter this weekend, so that means a rare opportunity for a date night. Going out to eat is usually something I don't do well on as far as food choices.

@Jannah1208 Sunday meals without technology sounds awesome! It reminds me of when I was growing up. We didn't have any of those things and with such a large family, it was considerably cheaper for homemade meals every night. Do you have a recipe for those kale chips? I have always wanted to try them.
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    I know reminds me also when I was young, family meals. Although we eat dinner together at the table about 4 nights a week.... for now..lol

Kale Chips (even my kids love it!):

Kale ( I usually make 1/2 of a big bunch)
    Olive oil (I use it in the spray)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Minced onion (optional)
    Garlic powder (optional)

I line my cookie sheet with foil and spray with my olive oil. you can also just use reg olive oil about 2 tsp and rub it with a paper towel over the foil to coat it. Next after I wash the kale I cut out the big stem area and make make about 4" pieces. Place kale on cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Most times I do the dried minced onion and garlic powder for that crunchy salty flavor. Bake in pre-heated oven (350F or 175C). I bake till edges are brown about 12-15 minutes.

We have had these with hummus, salsa and plain. My husband is now addicted! First he refused to touch them, then the baby (Adam, 2) was stealing them off other people's plates, so he tried it. I had to make another batch...lol

Let me know how it turns out.

Enjoy your date night. If your going out, try to make a healthier choice, but don't deny yourself too much. You will feel dissatisfied and try to replace that feeling later. If you know where you might go, try to pre-plan but visiting the restaurants website. This way if you want dessert of something loaded with calories, then you can make better choices earlier in the day. Eat a big salad for lunch or fruit with eggs for breakfast. Do some cleaning or take an extra walk. But most of all enjoy and make the most of special moments. I had a wedding a few weeks back, I had a low cal breakfast and lunch. At dinner I had fat free dressing on my salad and stayed away from the bread they gave everyone at the table. I was still able to stay not too far off budget. I had cake and some wedding cookies. It is not about denying yourself, it is about planing and making the decision and moving on.
  • traceylynnRN
    traceylynnRN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @cem614 I don't know about you but for me when I have date night, desert is the ONLY thing I want. I have come to find those Chobani flips with almonds, chocolate, and coconut to help satisfy the craving. They are so good you may get addicted lol Have a good date night!

The weekend is my usual downfall because I am at work for 12 + hours so I just want to be lazy :(
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I look forward to weekends after long work weeks. My daughter is coming home from college this weekend which makes this weekend even more exciting !!! Thankfully she is a health nut and will be happy to see mom in a healthier mindset !!! I will be making her favorite meal of Grilled chicken and baked spaghetti squash :)
  • skill133
    Options
    Just hit the elliptical. I like burning calories before bed instead of consuming them. Ok tomorrow is Friday. Bring it on
  • zoecollins
    zoecollins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just hit the elliptical. I like burning calories before bed instead of consuming them. Ok tomorrow is Friday. Bring it on

Burning calories before bed hahaha
    Its my birthday Monday so i have lots of Birthday celebrations goin on this weekend and although im trying to stay positive that il make the right choices, once the champers is popped it doesnt always go too well?!
    But hey ho .....
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    Its my birthday Monday so i have lots of Birthday celebrations goin on this weekend and although im trying to stay positive that il make the right choices, once the champers is popped it doesnt always go too well?!
    But hey ho .....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.. WEEKEND...lol

Enjoy it
  • skill133
    Options

But hey ho .....

Happy birthday...just try to watch your portion control, but enjoy. And yes burning calories before bed...not "in" bed...although that is always an option as well. :)
  • jesicaxnn
    jesicaxnn Posts: 7 Member
    Options

But hey ho .....

One thing I've learned is to not try to eat a lite dinner to make up for the calories I'll be drinking later that night because that just turns into me eating anything I lay my eyes on at 2 AM. If I eat a dinner that fills me up more, I usually either skip the late-night snack or can stop myself after just a little bit.

Happy Birthday!
  • skill133
    Options
    It's 7 am and I'm about to go burn some calories!!

Good tip jesica!
  • skill133
    skill133 Posts: 161
    Options
    Tomorrow is Hump Day....get burning those calories off today and tomorrow people.
  • crash_aly
    crash_aly Posts: 112
    Options
    Skill...you're a great motivator! I am already trying to plan ahead meals for this weekend since I will likely be quite busy and don't want to fall into the dining out routine!
  • cem614
    Options
    @cem614 I don't know about you but for me when I have date night, desert is the ONLY thing I want. I have come to find those Chobani flips with almonds, chocolate, and coconut to help satisfy the craving. They are so good you may get addicted lol Have a good date night!

The weekend is my usual downfall because I am at work for 12 + hours so I just want to be lazy :(

I'm so stuffed before we get to dessert! All I want is cheeseburgers and hotwings. :P I fit them into my daily intake sometimes, but I just can't seem to get enough lol.
  • mavis153
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get a good but cheap scale? I had a $10 one from Wal Mart but it was terrible. I go to the dr every other week, but I want to weigh in weekly....

thanks!
  • cem614
    Options
    Check Target. I am using a Taylor brand scale that has seemed to done well for me. They have different models for different prices. Mine is digital and supposedly measures bodyfat and water weight but I don't even use it. I paid no more than $30 for it. If you got one without all of the inaccurate measuring tools, I am sure it will be cheaper.
  • mavis153
    Options
    Thanks!:)
  • skill133
    skill133 Posts: 161
    Options
    thanks Crash!! Good idea on planning ahead...if you fail to plan that is a plan to fail...or something like that.. :)

Don't go to a sporting good store for a scale...I got raped there one time! Target...maybe bed bath and beyond..
  • jbuc07
    jbuc07 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea for the scale! I need one too!!
    So, I broke my lawn mower.... I could fix it, if I could get stupid nuts off... So, I now need to 'mow' my lawn with the weed eater. 30 minutes later, and all I have done is this very small section of my yard.... Pretty certain this is going to be an all day project. And my arms are sore already :laugh: I ran out of gas, so decided I should take a break and do my regular work out, before my arms are too sore to do it. I foresee some yelling involved.....:tongue: Anyway, that's my day. How about everyone else?
  • cem614
    Options
    "mowing" your lawn with a weed eater sounds like a workout in itself :P