I dread the monthly nurse weigh in...

Options
I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant and I've definitely gained more than I "should" have according to the recommended 1lb per week in the 2nd trimester suggestion in the 'what to expect' book I've been reading.
I've gained about 8lbs since my last check up a month ago.
I lost 30lbs before getting pregnant and I watched my intake so strictly, hardly ever going over 1300-1400 cals... nowdays I'm just feeling more hungry and yes of course I have to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry... but I think its put my body into shock having more like 2000 a day and I've gained lbs so easily :-( I have a weigh-in at the docs in a few days and I just feel like I'll be hanging my head in shame if I've gained twice what I should have since I was last there :-/ Dreading it.

Replies

• crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am now at 31 weeks and have gained right at 30 pounds. Just hang in there. its hard but know you are growing a precious little one inside of you. We can loose all that extra weight once baby is here.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    hang in there i know at about 20 weeks i could have eaten the paint off the wall I was that hungry, but it seems my appetite has gone in the opposite direction. I've actually lost some weight. Just listen to your body dont worry too much about the numbers eat the best you can.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    You have little control over weight gain in pregnancy. All you can do is eat at maintenance or just above (depending on your starting weight) and choose healthy foods. The rest your baby and your body will do for you. As long as you're doing everything you need to to stay fit and healthy that's all you can do.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is hard but I'm trying not to watch the numbers too much. I know of several women who've gained 20+ kg during pregnancy but were only 3-4kg too heavy leaving the hospital. It seems that some people just put on weight and it is not all fat. I'm just crossing my fingers that if I gain so much there'll be a lot of water weight. :-)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Reading this helped me the whole weight gain aspect of pregnancy. Also, realizing that I have a little person growing inside me helps too. :blushing:

If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height (a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9), you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby.

If you were underweight for your height at conception (a BMI below 18.5), you should gain 28 to 40 pounds.

If you were overweight for your height (a BMI of 25 to 29.9), you should gain 15 to 25 pounds. If you were obese (a BMI of 30 or higher), you should gain between 11 and 20 pounds.

If you're having twins, you should gain 37 to 54 pounds if you started at a healthy weight, 31 to 50 pounds if you were overweight, and 25 to 42 pounds if you were obese.

How will I get rid of all those extra pounds later?
    Much of the weight you've been accumulating will be gone pretty soon after you give birth. Mothers usually lose half of their pregnancy weight gain in the first six weeks after delivery. The baby accounts for about 7.5 pounds (more or less), and the amniotic fluid, placenta, and extra body fluids and blood in your body add up to another 8 to 12 pounds.

:flowerforyou:
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I know I shouldn't worry about gaining weight because so much of it is due to Baby/Placenta/Extra Blood/Fluid etc etc.... **but** what makes me nervous about the monthly weigh in is that the nurse I seems to be quite expectant of no more than 1lb per week gain and I've gained about 8lb in the past 5 weeks. I'm going in on Monday and I'm just hoping she won't say anything as I know I'll just get even more pre-occupied about it if she does! Maybe I'm just gaining at a faster rate at the moment and then it'll slow down/settle here for a bit. I'm making healthy choices most of the time but like anyone I like the occasional sweet-treat! I'm definitely having more calories now than I was prior to pregnancy, which is right i know, but I think partly my body has gone 'Woooohoo!' and its gaining a bit back that I maybe didn't need to lose before hand (I was a BMI 23.5 at week 0).

So long as Bubba is well and so long as I don't end up the size of a house, then I'll be happy as I'm planning to get back to logging properly after bub's arrival and I'm definitely planning to breastfeed which they say can do wonders... (hope so!) and already looking forward to going walking loads with the pushchair - that'll burn extra cals and help me get back into shape I'm sure. I know i can't rush it though...this baby means the world to me, and if it means putting on a few extra pounds then so be it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If you are eating right then your body is doing exactly what it needs to do.

Just as weight loss isn't linear, your pregnancy gain isn't, and labor won't be either! Sure they expect you to gain a lb a week. They also will expect you to dilate x cm per hour. But nobody ever does things exactly on that schedule, and a good provider won't freak out about a pregnant woman progressing at her own pace (weight or otherwise).
  • sarahmariemeans
    Options
    I am up so far 14 lbs. as of last check up. At 25 weeks. With this pregnancy I want to stay in a healthy weight gain because with my first child I gained 56 lbs! Don't want to do that to myself again! Decided to get back into doing my fitness pal today after not doing it the whole pregnancy. Anyone else feeling super hungry and often? To the point if you don't eat you might get sick? Thats hard to deal with. I find having a banana, appleasauce, or sugar free jello cup with me is a lifesaver! Good luck ladies!
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    8 lbs in 5 weeks is only 3lbs more then 1lb per week...I wouldn't worry about that in the slightest...it could be constipation, gas, slower digestive tract after eating too much (or even just eating enough) the day before, water retention. Now if you gained 8 lbs in 1 week there might be reason for concern but even pre-pregnancy my weight would fluctuate 1-4lbs daily depending on variables...and now being pregnant there's a BIG variable we have no control over.

I am having that opposite problem and am losing weight and hardly eating even though I feel like I am starving, between food aversions and then when I DO eat something after 2 bites I feel sick. OB said not to worry about until second trimester, but now I am in the second trimester and still losing....