Weight Gain

Options
Anyone gain lots of weight going gluten free?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes - I was 100lbs overweight when I started MFP and I've been a coeliac for over 20 years.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Dx Celiac March 2012. I gained 15 lbs in 4 months when I replaced all my gluten processed foods with GF versions. Started tracking on MFP and was shocked how many calories I was over eating! :noway:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Nope. I rarely eat GF breads or anything of the sort... I just cut it out altogether.

I've lost 25lbs eating "clean".... granted I do eat rice and GF pastas here and there I just don't consume them like I did before I went GF.... simply put I just am really careful with what I put in my mouth and haven't been working out much so I know it was the gluten / processed foods.....
  • Lonapaterson
    Lonapaterson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was very shocked at how much fat and calories the gluten free diet added.
    Especially if you use the GF replacement grains and or GF processed packaged foods. They are all so very high is starchy carbs that will pack on the body fat and weight quickly. Also the nuts, while nutrient rich, are also very high calories and fat.
    So I am diligent and careful to log every thing that goes between my lips into my stomach.
    Myfitnesspal has quickly become my best judge of when to stop eating for the rest of the day and drink only water until starting over in the next morning.
    In order for me to stay in charge of my weight loss goals, I now eat mostly veggies and meats, occasionally adding extra things only as this app approves them each day. :ohwell:
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have gained about ten pounds since my celiac diagnosis in February. I don't eat a lot of gluten free foods because I was low carb, cleaner eating before. I just figure it takes some time for your body to adjust to actually be able to feed itself normally. I have been on mfp for over a year so I know my diet hasn't changed much other than the removal of gluten.
  • wenchyh
    Options
    I've gained 60lbs since going gluten free and its horrible :(
  • CndnJo
    CndnJo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gained weight (10-15 lbs.) since going gluten free. I used to be able to just cut back on my portion size and sweets when I would see that I was gaining a bit of weight - but since going gluten free three years ago (celiac) I don't seem to be able to make myself cut back. It's like I already feel kind of deprived so I don't want to be even more deprived. Kind of a immature attitude I know, I'm working on it :-)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gained weight (10-15 lbs.) since going gluten free. I used to be able to just cut back on my portion size and sweets when I would see that I was gaining a bit of weight - but since going gluten free three years ago (celiac) I don't seem to be able to make myself cut back. It's like I already feel kind of deprived so I don't want to be even more deprived. Kind of a immature attitude I know, I'm working on it :-)

That actually makes a lot of sense. Because i also have other food allergies my diet is very restrictive and its hard to say no when you find something you enjoy and can it have it.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

I'm kind of the same way, if there is a treat that's actually safe for me then I want to take advantage of it. Plus where gluten free stuff doesn't have as many preservatives I feel like I need to eat more of it before it goes to waste! lol! I guess I could start freezing things.
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes. I gained too. Have been trying to be better about picking better recipes lately and that has helped. Any of you on Pinterest? I've got lots of recipes out there GF Eats (new things I want to try) and Family Faves (tried and true). I'm always on the hunt for a healthy/GF recipe...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I lost a bit. I don't crave other grains the way I craved wheat.
  • CndnJo
    CndnJo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I first went gluten free I would buy almost every cookie and snack food I found that said gluten free on the package. Most of them were very expensive and pretty yucky. I am now trying to stay away from most of those processed store bought treats. I try to remember that apples, plain nuts etc. are good snack options and are gluten free even if it isn't stamped on the package. :) I am also getting better at making some gluten free treats that are much better/healthier than the store bought ones.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    How much fruit are you eating?
    The only person I know of that had that happen was a friend that kept eating fruit because she assumed it was healthy but turned out she was eating too MUCH.....
    If you log your calories here, you will lose. Trust me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

That reminds me that people who have celiac disease sometimes gain weight after going gluten free because they start absorbing nutrients properly again. You might be used to eating a lot more than your body needs, now, because you really needed to, in the past. There is no doubt that going gluten free can require a lot of adjustments. Good luck!

P.S. About a year into being gluten free, I'm no longer iron deficient, vitamin B deficient, and vitamin D deficient, speaking of absorbing nutrients.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also gained 60# and am still working 10 years later to lose therest of it. I no longer take B12 shots, am no longer iron deficient, but still overweight.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    I was already overweight when diagnosed as gluten intolerant... I was so violently ill, and I lost 10 lb initially because when I changed my diet I cut down to just meat and veggies while I learned what was safe and not safe... Then I found the gluten free substitutes, and had another weight gain... so when I got on here, I started tracking much more and learned a whole lot. Now, I don't do as much substitution as before, and do more low carb most of the time. Right now I'm super busy so the convenience of a wrap or something similar is just easier for now, but I will get back to my home cooking real whole food as soon as things slow down a bit. The trick is to watch what and how much you eat, no matter what it is. Exercise is never a bad idea either.
  • NoMeat101
    Options
    Nope, I lost around 28-29 lbs when I went gluten free earlier this year. Although I've noticed NO difference whatsoever on my body, I really have no idea where the weight disappeared from... But I didn't gain. I was worried when I first switched because I heard from a lot of people that the GF alternatives were less healthy, but I've been feeling great. I don't eat much GF stuff - I've tried the breads once or twice, I eat GF cereal everyday. Occasionally I'll get GF pizza if I'm with friends & getting pizza, and occasionally I'll make GF pasta - but rarely. MOSTLY because it's so expensive!

I'm also vegetarian - so really I just ended up eating more vegetables and fruit to my already vegetable & fruit diet. I used to have peas, corn & cheese in wraps, or egg & cheese in wraps, so that was probably what I missed most. But I started using lettuce leaves as wraps for eggs & stuff, and I've found corn tortillas now for other wraps & stuff... I find it easy. But impossible to eat out because finding something gluten free AND vegetarian isn't quite as easy.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I ahven't gained but I haven't lost, however it is still avery new diagnosis. I only east about 6-7 foods, because I'm scared/nervous. I do eat Chex and rice but everything else is mostly fruits and meat.
  • wenchyh
    Options
    Thanks all.

Its coming off :)