Prenatal Yoga and birth

Options
kitsune1989
kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
I'm pregnant with my second and I've started doing prenatal yoga as my exercise. I walk as well, but have heard that yoga can make the birthing process easier. Any experience with this?

With my son I was in active labor for two days. The pain was minimal, but I got so tired which is why it took so long. Hoping to have more energy this or at least more body awareness this time. *crosses fingers*

Replies

• Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with my first and started yoga. Hoping it will help with my balance.

I'd be interested in other people's experience.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had a scheduled C section with my first, but am going for an unmedicated VBAC this go around and I have been practicing yoga the whole pregnancy. I am due in the next two weeks, so I can report back! I have a feeling it will only help though. :)
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Do you have a video that you are using or are you taking classes? I live in a very rural setting, so would need a video. I have done some research into different options, but would love anyone's opinion on a video that they used that they loved or disliked. I am currently 9 weeks along so hoping to start soon.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do you have a video that you are using or are you taking classes? I live in a very rural setting, so would need a video. I have done some research into different options, but would love anyone's opinion on a video that they used that they loved or disliked. I am currently 9 weeks along so hoping to start soon.

I dont have any prenatal yoga DVDs to recommend but if you are interested in prenatal circuit training (similar to the 30 day shred style) I can recommend ''Body by Trimester'' by Joy southworth. I have been using it through my pregnancy and love it. Its a 30 min intense circuit training workout.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I took a month long class, but mostly go by video or my own routine. I still use my regular yoga video, with modifications. It is MTV yoga and by far the best yoga video I have found for beginners and on up. I barely modified until I got into the third trimester. I also do the Gaiam 20 minute prenatal session on Hulu Plus some evenings. I have been doing it so long that I know now what works for certain ailments, so the bulk of my practice is done without a video while I watch tv with the hubs in the evening, lol.
  • kitsune1989
    Options
    Unfortunately there aren't any prenatal classes near me either. Plenty of regular yoga which I've taken before. So I mostly do videos online or things from memory.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about yoga, but if part of your problem with your first labor was getting tired, I wonder if you were able to eat and drink? That can make a big difference in keeping up your energy level in labor. Best to drink juice, milk, electrolyte drinks (like Gatorade), decaf tea or red raspberry tea, protein drinks, etc. For food, light carbs and light protein to help you keep up your energy without making yourself throw up (like the kinds of things you'd eat if you were sick).
  • kitsune1989
    Options
    I don't know anything about yoga, but if part of your problem with your first labor was getting tired, I wonder if you were able to eat and drink? That can make a big difference in keeping up your energy level in labor. Best to drink juice, milk, electrolyte drinks (like Gatorade), decaf tea or red raspberry tea, protein drinks, etc. For food, light carbs and light protein to help you keep up your energy without making yourself throw up (like the kinds of things you'd eat if you were sick).

I was able to eat. I had a midwife, so I didn't have a lot of restrictions.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was able to eat. I had a midwife, so I didn't have a lot of restrictions.

That's good. I can't imagine not eating for two days. I hope the yoga makes a difference for you!
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome if it helps with childbirth. I am only 7 weeks, but have been doing yoga (almost) nightly with my son. He has tummy-time and momma has yoga time! :heart:
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise with my first pregnancy but have been doing a combo of yoga, andrea orbecks pregnancy sculpt dvds and elliptical and walking this pregnancy and I feel so much better. My best friend did yoga in her last trimester and she said she really felt that the breathing and focal points as well as being in tune with her body as muscles made a SIGNIFICANT difference in her birthing experience and it was her first child :)

The Yoga dvds I have are Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea (Aint gonna lie I don't dig this one too much) and Yoga Journal and Lamaze present yoga for your pregnancy with Kristien Eykel and I like that one a lot. Like I said i do andrea Orbecks pregnancy sculpt and it's pretty intense and is circuit training.

I would strongly suggest it the benefits of prenatal yoga have been noted in different studies I've read if you google some I'm sure you find something :) Plus it just feels awesome :)