Newly Sleeved - Looking for Friends

Options
Hello all,

My name is Kim and tomorrow will be my 4 week "surgiversary". This is by far the BEST decision I have ever made for myself and my health.

I am struggling a little bit with the transition from soft food to "real" food. Even if I make chicken salad in the Vitamix, it just doesn't sit with me. I get that "stuck" feeling whenever I eat something heavier than yogurt/isopure/shakes. It's my body's way of telling me it isn't ready, but i'd love to be able to chew something again. Any suggestions on transitional foods?

I'm also looking for online friends through this journey. I have about 100 more pounds to go. thanks - Kim

Replies

• LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Hi Kim!
    I was sleeved on Sept 9th, so you are just ahead of me. I also have about 100 pounds to go - so we should be good buddies! Feel free to friend me on here.

I am having trouble with some real food (even when I blend it too). I have a hard time with ground beef and sometimes with Chicken. Oh scramble eggs too - for some reason they really hurt to eat! I think because they are scrambled, my brain thinks they are soft and I don't have to chew as much. Honestly, I used to be the fastest inhaler of food, so learning to chew has been really hard for me.

Something that has worked: I made this tasty recipe and it's the easiest thing to go down so far.

ground turkey
    canned green beans
    canned fire roasted tomatoes
    garlic
    salt

I used a 1 can of each of the veggies and kept the juice. I just simmered that and made sure to make the turkey into the smallest bits possible. I think I will be eating on it for about a year, considering I can only eat about 2.5 ounces at a time!

About getting stuck. I get stuck on water when I take too big of a gulp! I am also getting hiccups a lot! Who knows???? Anyway -I just keep trying to take smaller bites, keep the food moist and I still drink a shake every day for breakfast.
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Heya Kim! I was sleeved 08/29 and while I had no problem transitioning to solid food, my body is hanging on to every drop of fluid it can. It is so frustrating! I dropped a ton of weight my first two weeks and then have gained all but 6 lbs back in weeks 3-5. I know it is just water but dang... Just make the transition as slowly as you need to and make sure to get in your fluids! And feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to! I love watching my fellow sleevers drop the lbs!

My easiest transition food was chili egg puff. Now, it is pretty high in fat, but my surgeon isn't concerned with fat content during the first phase of this. If yours is, you'll need to take that into account. I could eat about 1/2 serving at a time. Each piece has 18 grams of protein and I could get through maybe 2 pieces in a day. I have posted the recipe here before but here it is:

10 eggs at room temperature
    1/2 C all purpose flour, unsifted
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 pint (16 oz) creamed small curd cottage cheese
    1 lb shredded Jack cheese
    1/2 C melted butter
    2 (4 oz) cans of diced green chilies

With a mixer beat the eggs until light and lemon colored. Add everything but chilies and blend until smooth. Fold in chilies. Put the mixture in a well buttered 9" by 13" baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until top is lightly brown and the center appears firm. Makes about 10 to 12 servings.

Each serving (1/12 of the 9x13 pan) contains 250 cal, 7 carbs, 18 g fat, 18 g protein, 618 g sodium, 1 g fiber.

It has a great flavor and made me feel like I was eating "real" food again and my pouch was great with it. Like I said, not something you would probably want to do once the transition to solid foods is over because of the fat content, but in the intro phase of this thing, it worked wonders for me!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was sleeved 2 years ago, have about 75 left to lose (started this at 386 pounds with 226 to lose). Early on I was told to avoid eggs because they are really dense. I know that sounds weird, but that could be why it's bothering you. I did best on ground meats and everything had to have some kind of a sauce or broth to it. Dry food also doesn't set well, gives you that "stuck" feeling you mentioned. I still tend to make sure everything is really moist. It does get easier, so hang in there. :smile:
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I was sleeved 3/26/12. I'm not at goal yet, but like you, it's the best decision I ever made for myself. The transition from soft foods to more solid foods can be hard as it was a little for me. I ended up eating more cottage cheese because of it and it sat well with me. Hard boiled eggs didn't agree with me as much as soft scrambled eggs. If you are having difficulty in transitioning maybe concentrate on protein shakes in the meantime.

Also, I know it sounds crazy, but I also like the Gerber brand (yes, baby food) chicken or turkey sticks you find in a jar. The jar provides like 10g of protein, are soft, and tastes ok...I even drink the broth.
  • spooky228
    Options
    Hello Kim, hang in there. My nutritionist had me start on Ricotta Cheese, you can mush it with chopped cooked spinach.
    I also use cottage cheese. Soft scrambled eggs seem to work for me too and I stir in low fat shredded cheddar that melts
    and makes them stay softer.
    I am only about 3 weeks out and too big of gulps of water get me too...like a golf ball.
    It takes time. I am not one for "slow & steady" I am having to learn patience.
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow - THANKS EVERY ONE! This information is great. I am not much of an egg eater. I did start eating liverwurst (yes, sounds gross) but it's protein and smooth going down, plus it has a lot of iron. I am so glad to have the opportunity to learn from all of you.
  • lindalou0220
    Options
    Hi Kim! I was sleeved on Aug 1. My first two weeks of progressing to "solid" food was spent on a cruise ship! It was scary but also nice; I could try tons of different foods without buying groceries/cooking. If something didn't go down well, they were happy to bring me something else. I found that most veggies had to be really cooked well for me to tolerate. The only exception was cole slaw, and I ate quite a lot of it. Protein has been pretty easy for me to get down. Baked or steamed fish seems to be the easiest. Thin pork loin chops. Atkins frozen dinners (I can just about manage to eat half). Omelets with cheese, mushrooms and peppers went down ok. Try some egg salad, it seems to go down better than scrambled. I also found Gerber turkey meatballs early on. It is a good serving size and great for traveling. I still use protein shakes several times each week.

Best wishes on your journey! Add me if you like. I have almost 100 to go and am just a bit older than you. Wish I had been brave enough to have the surgery years ago!

Linda
  • bockenstedt6
    bockenstedt6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you using real eggs or egg substitute? I have not tried real eggs, however, the egg beaters egg substitue seems to work fine for me, and it requires alot less work!
  • lthesen
    lthesen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you have gotten good advice on things to try already but i'll add another vote for fish (light flaky white fish worked best for me) soft scrambled eggs, watery oatmeal with cinnamon and vanilla, yogurt and ricotta.

I wasn't too worried at the start about the carbs as much during the soft and pureed stages, i was barely getting in my protein shakes in at that time and any food i ate was so minimal? i was lucky if i got 2 tbs in :tongue: .

I'm 4.5 months out now and things go down way easier than at the start so hang in there :-)
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi all - 5 weeks post and am transitioning to more solid foods. I also vote for fish; Salmon, Blowfish Tail, Shark, Flounder have all gone down real well. For me the key is keeping the protein moist and chewing thoroughly. Fresh ground beef (seasoned "crumble") has alsobeen positively recieved. 40lbs down, 60 to go.
  • Choppy1973
    Options
    Hi Kim et All,
    I just joined myfitnesspal today. My surgery date is 11/6/13 and I'm looking to build an online support network. You all seem to have or will have great experiences that I'm hoping to draw from.

Thanks,
    Choppy