How is it possible that I GAINED A POUND?????!!!!

Options
Hi everyone!
I am so frustrated! I had VSG on 9/9 and as of today (my official weigh in date) I have gained a pound???? I am meeting all my protein and fluid goals. I am not PMSing. I just don't understand. I feel so super discouraged. 17 days of eating a ton of protein and going through the pain of surgery - just for my old patterns to emerge? I always felt like I did everything right in other diets - but my body just didn't want to lose....now I'm scared that the sleeve is going to be the same experience! What the heck?

Now that the emotional rant is over... here is what my logical brain is telling me.
1. Last week I had a huge loss - 12.8 pounds. It's probably too much for one week - so my body is trying to even that all out
2. Since I am eating only 800 calories max - there is actually no way that I could have gained a pound. This is somehow just water retention. One pound is 3500 calories - I definitely am not having any surplus right now
3. I AM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT! I am logging my food, weighing it, scheduling water time, waiting 30 minutes between food and liquids, meeting my protein and liquid goals, going to support groups - THIS HAS TO PAY OFF AT SOME POINT
4. Keep the faith - it will work, if you work it

Right? Has anyone else had this experience? Can I get an amen?

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad to see you took a breath at the end of that post!

As you say, 12.8 lbs last week is huge. It could be a minor reset or .... My first thoughts.

Scales - don't EVER trust them. If I don't step in EXACTLY the same spot on mine, I can get a 1.5 lb difference in weight. If it isn't that, the batteries start to die and weights go all over the map. If you can, use a measuring tape. (Note: I don't follow my own advice on that so take it for what it is worth - envy of those who can self measure.)

The dreaded three week stall - may have hit you a bit early. Periodically your body does have to catch it's breath. Almost everyone I've seen post or heard from has a stall at this point and it is easy to get rattled, but try not to let it derail you. Keep with the program, and in the words of Douglas Adams "Don't Panic." You can't be ready to quit only three weeks in, besides, the VSG isn't going to let you quit. Be patient. You will succeed if you allow yourself to do so.

Best of luck going forward!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't think I saw anything about how aften you are weighing yourself. I was told to weigh once a week at the same time, so for me that's Sunday mornings. Yes I jump on the scale more often sometimes, but you can drive yourself nuts that way, because your weight will fluxuate up and down daily. So if you are weighing yourself a lot, try cutting back to once a week.

Second I agree with dward59, it could be the dreaded 3 week stall a little early. Or it could be a bit of water retention. But really, it's 1 pound, so relax. If this becomes a trend, then get back in touch with your bariatric team and let them look over what you are doing.

Third, remember that one pound of muscle is physically smaller than one pound of fat. Yes they weigh the same, but as you lose fat and gain muscle you go down in size/inches but the scale may not move. That's OK. As long as your clothes are continuing to get bigger or your measurements are going down, you are still going in the right direction.

I've been sleeved for over 2 years and am now about 75 pounds from my "ideal" weight. This far out from surgery, the weight loss has slowed way down, but I am still losing. So take it from me, it's way too early in the journey for you to get twisted up about this. OK? Just take a breath and know you are still moving in the right direction.

PS - I started this journey at 386 pounds, meaning I needed to lose 226 pounds to get to that ideal weight. The fact that I am 2+ years out and not finished is relative to the amount I have to lose. It does not mean it will take you or anyone else the same amount of time to hit goal. I point this out because most people I've seen here reach goal a lot quicker than I am and I didn't want to leave you thinking you would still not be at goal weight for a few years. Like everything else, it's an individual thing.
  • spooky228
    Options
    Fluid retention is normal. Don't beat yourself up! Try to weigh only once a week.
    I gained 1.2 pounds when they took my drain out at day 7. Two days later I was up...then 3 days later
    I was down by 4 pounds. Your body is adjusting itself, and for heavens sake don't quit drinking your fluids!
    You will be fine.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating, but try to take it in stride. You'll keep losing. I didn't lose a pound for nearly a month after surgery and I was ready to jump out a window. Then I started losing 3 or 4 lbs a week.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Oh Patty! I hope that doesn't happen to me!
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. That helps so much. I do tend to weigh most days - but my "official" day is Thursday. So I am up 1 pound from last Thursday. I feel so much better from ready your responses. I also checked in with my weight center and got a pep talk there! Managing emotions seems to be a huge part of this battle and I really couldn't do it without you all!
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I am at week seven and for week six was stuck I gained two lbs. But when I weighed today I was back down 1.4 lbs. I was starting to panic until I read all of your post. So I know It's not what I'm eating because I rarely make it to my 600 cal a day. I'm mostly aroung 500 just can't get it all down. Thanks again for all the encouragement.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually gained close to 20 lbs the week after surgery from normal fluid retention. Don't beat yourself up , ups and downs of small amounts are normal. I have been a daily weigher since day 1 and have had to deal with the emotional ups and downs that come with the weight fluctuations.
    If you stick to plan and move your body the weight will come off at its own pace and pattern. I personally (since 8 months post op) lose 2 lbs and gain it back in a week then loose 3 the following week. Weird but the average is about 4 lbs a month for me at this point. I eat a low carb whole food diet (90%) and stick to about 800 cals a day. I also run at least 15 miles a week.
    You will succeed but weight fluctuation and emotional purging are part of the journey.
    Cheers to you!
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled if I only gained a pound. lol. I was sleeved 08/29. I lost 25 lbs in my first two weeks. When I transitioned off of fluids, I gained 10 lbs in a week. I thought, "Ok, no biggie, 3rd week stall and PMS combo" and my body continued to shrink even though the scale didn't move. Yeaaah, the scale has not moved in 2 weeks now. I had my 1 mo follow up with my surgeon last week and he said that this is normal and told me that I shouldn't pay attention to the scale for the first couple of months. As long as I am getting in my protein and fluids, he assured me that this will work. But still... that little niggle in my brain keeps going "OMG, what if this fails?".
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Thanks for keeping the discussion alive! I decided not to weigh myself again until my "official" day - Thursday. I really hope it will move in the right direction. I don't want to lose the same pound again - you know what I mean? It's about the 5th time I've lost pound 244 - hahaha - Hopefully it will stay off for good!

Jillian - I know exactly what you mean I really am trying with the "positive self talk" - but that little niggle gets us all!
    Renee! 15 miles a week of RUNNING? You're an animal! That is very inspirational! When did you start running?
    Shon - hang in there with me - hopefully we will have good results this week!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Marge I really got serious about exercise around January of this year. When I started this journey 1 1/2 years ago I was 5 foot 300lbs and BMI of 55, I could not walk to the mailbox and barely up 1 flight of stairs. So yes I feel like an animal. Really and truly if I can do this ANYONE can, with baby steps. My goal has always been to be a 150 lb athlete and it is happening. Whatever your goal cherish it, work hard, never give up, and there will be days you want to. This will happen for you. Don't worry about ups or oops' they happen and we move on. Besides we wouldn't mess up the whole house just because we didn't make the bed.
    :)
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    I love that saying Renee!

So I'm glad to report that I had a loss this week. It pays off to come on here and vent! You guys helped me through this!
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I think I found the lbs you lost. Ugh! I am so boated! I started exercising again this week though since I FINALLY feel good again so I am hoping my body gets the picture to flush. I mean, when you are drinking 64+ oz of water each day and only going to the bathroom once or twice... come ON! And if my doctor says the words "that's normal" one more time I am going to scream. lol
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Hang in there Jillian! It's so counter intuitive to keep drinking more water when your retaining water - but it really works!