just diagnosed

Options
katiedub
katiedub Posts: 5 Member
Hey everyone,

I see this group isn't very active but I figured i'd introduce myself and tell you all my story. I was just recently diagnosed with having a fatty liver at the age of 29 which is rare for my age group. I found out I had fatty liver after having my son 5 months ago and my gallbladder removed a month ago. The internalist I saw recommended a low fat low cholesterol diet for me and told me to lose some weight and that should help. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Replies

• KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie. I was diagnosed about a year ago - when I was 22. :X

I go to a gastroenterologist and have my liver panel checked about every 6 months. I'm actually going in for another checkup on Monday. Losing weight will help, so that is certainly good advice. This diagnosis is actually what prompted me to get serious about my health/weight. I tend to monitor my saturated fat intake as well as sugar/refined carbs (your liver plays a big role in processing these and excess sugar stores often turn to fat within the organ itself).

Losing weight is the best thing you can do, but do it safely and slowly. Rapid weightloss can actually exasorbate the problem. I was also told to refrain from alcohol entirely, which I had already been doing in the first place so it wasn't much of a change for me.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • ajacot924
    ajacot924 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I was diagnosed with fatty liver in April 2012.
    I didn't take it very seriously and since then, my AST and ALT have shot into the 100's.
    My GI has given me 2 weeks to get my numbers down or I will have to have a liver biopsy (yikes)!
    I have gotten serious about my healthy eating and exercise. I have also begun taking a supplement called Livatone Plus which has been said to improve fatty liver disease.
    Good luck!
  • ShylasMum
    ShylasMum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I was just diagnosed with a fatty liver on November 18. I have lost and gained 50 lbs twice in my adult life. I need to lose it and keep it lost this time. I have lost about 9 lbs so far since the diagnosis. I eat mostly lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, etc). I walk at least 2 miles a day. I have a book I purchased from Amazon that has been very helpful. It is by Dr Sandra Cabot called Fatty Liver You Can Reverse It.
  • cletilley
    cletilley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that's very helpful. How are you doing with it now?