Soreness

Options
Just wondering what to expect for soreness. Do you get over being sore, or are you sore all the time because you are always increasing the weight?

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This varies from person to person, so do not expect to get sore (you might be one of the lucky ones), and do not be alarmed if you get sore. I do not get crippling soreness doing any of these lifts, because there is a relatively small eccentric contraction component to most of them. This can actually be a problem because you are working pretty hard and your muscles are fatigued, but if you are used to equating soreness with working hard, you won't see it. So you might accidentally overtrain. Something to watch out for, although it is pretty improbable at the beginning of your lifting program.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I used to get really sore when I first started, but now I just get regular DOMS... Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the difference is..........

I used to get really sore when I first started, but now I just get regular DOMS... Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any difference... Soreness, like any other type of inflammation, will usually hit you after some delay.

The important thing about soreness is to learn to differentiate between muscle belly pain (middle of the muscle, perfectly normal and nothing to worry about) and pain in your joints (ligaments, cartilage) or at the attachment sites of the muscle (tendons). For example, you have constant soreness around kneecaps or the place where your quads are attached to your pelvis, it indicates a problem in your technique. That usually doesn't happen until the weights get heavier. Likewise, if your shoulders hurt inordinately, get your form checked asap before you injure yourself. Pain in your pecs or triceps is fine.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Do you get over being sore, or are you sore all the time because you are always increasing the weight?

I rarely get DOMS anymore. If I do it's either my Legs or Triceps that get sore. I get tight more than anything, especially in my traps/neck and that is just due to me having a horrible habit of not stretching/foam rolling post workout. I guess that gives me an excuse to get regular massages-LOL.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was at first, especially when I started upping my weights but it went after a couple of sessions, glutes and pecs mainly. Sore in a good way though :D
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the difference is..........

The pain I felt from the beginning was so much I couldn't sit on the toilet. Now it doesn't bother me at all.. That's the difference in my book. YMMV.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    The fronts of my thighs are very sore after doing the 25 squats, and then doing Zumba the next night.