New Month, New Goals?

Options
missmacsays
missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
Good morning everyone! I woke up today with a renewed sense of possibility and motivation. It's a new month! That means we can evaluate how last month's goals went for us and reset some new ones too. So my goal was to stay at/below my calorie goal everyday. I was successful half the month. So that's definitely a start, but that's not where I want to be. I can be glad I was able to make some improvements though. What I learned from this past month was that giving myself a "cheat day" on Saturday usually ended up in drinking an outrageous amount, so probably tripling my normal calorie intake in just one day and then being so hungover and lazy the following day I ate whatever was available. Doing that pretty much wrecked all work I had done in a week. I am happy to report I have been doing decent with exercise, making sure to get in walks as often as possible. I was happy with that ,but like I said, the weekend binges make that progress almost non-existent. Never fear, new month, new goals is here!!!
I've decided to set myself two separate goals for the month of October. I really want to buckle down and be successful with these, so I hope to have more check-ins on this group and to have as many of you as my friends on here as possible. That way, we can keep each other motivated everyday!!!
Goal #1-No cheat days. As mentioned above, they're bad for me and I don't do them in moderation. Until I can do them in moderation, I'm not having them at all. This will be hard because I know I have parties and things to attend for halloween. I'm going to plan ahead for things like this and make sure I can enjoy myself without overly indulging though.
Goal #2-Start doing the Couch 2 5k program so I can train to run a 5k on Thanksgiving! I like the format of this program a lot, but I've never stuck with it more than a week or two. I'm going to start a separate group, which I will invite anyone interested in to join as well, but it will basically be an accountability group so that everyone gets there runs in each week.

Okay, so there's my evaluation and goals. What about the rest of you?!

Goal-quotes-life-quotes-Dont-let-life-change-your-goals-because-achieving-your-goals-can-change-your-life..jpg

Replies

• WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I need not slip up so much on the weekend. I stay active, but LORDY to I blow it. My goal is to drink more water. I think that's where I'm having the hardest time losing any weight. I hardly drink anything....at all. Then when the weekend hits, I don't drink water and it puffs me right up!! My other goal is to buy some new running shoes, because after I'm done running lately I feel like a broke down ol woman.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Amanda, you and I have a similar goal, just for different reasons. I don't want to have "cheat" days or weekends anymore. After this past weekend, which included way too much sodium and a moderate amount of alcohol, I have been feeling every bit of the inflamation in my body and it hurts. So, no more of those types of weekends b/c I seriously don't want them anymore b/c I don't want the pain. My other goal, well, I started that Learn 2 Run Club and my hope is that it will be successful with at least 1-2 other people to join me while I learn to run. That is my goal, just to get that new workout routine actually going but not worrying about any set goals within the routine. Not yet.

We can do this as we are all strong people! Thanks Amanda for getting this thread up and going, its great motivation:)
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I agree, I feel like poop when I cheat. I feel lazy, sluggish, achey and I have no motivation to eat well or exercise. Glad this thread is helpful to you guys also! I definitely need the extra kick in the *kitten* to keep with it. I so often want to give up, but then I see how far I've come and I just can't quit until I'm where I want to be. Woo, we got this ladies!
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My goal was to lose 5lbs, and I lost 9 last month! :D Only 6 more til my summer weight is off, which leads to accomplishing new weight goals!

New goal for October: I just started my C210K and have only been doing it on weekends, if that, so it slow going! I really need to push myself to get out for my run. I want to do it at least twice a week, with running club on Tuesday being my Day 3. And I am going to keep my goal of losing 5lbs by the end of October!

Good Luck to everyone with their new goals. With all of this support, we can achieve anything :D
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    :drinker: to a new month!

I stuck to my goal for exercising 3 days a week last month, except for the last week.

New goal for this month: Insanity

I'm totally nervous about Insanity, but I need to kick my butt into gear. I'm not going to get fit by walking 30 mins on my lunch break (even though it's a good start), and I miss having my lunch break to myself to read and relax. I'm enlisting the help of my kids to do Insanity with me, and turning it into a family event :) they're both pretty excited about it :)

I ordered my HRM yesterday, and should have it next week, and I get my DVD's this weekend. I also bought my food scale yesterday, so I can be more accurate when entering foods.

I love the support I get you from all of you, you are each so amazing :flowerforyou:
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Awesome goals everyone! Keep us all updated on progress!
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Progress Report: Down 2.6 lbs this week! Super exciting because this only leaves me with 3 lbs to lose to be back to my pre-summer weight! I have lost 12 lbs since the end of August and very excited to start reaching new goals!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Great progress! I had a good weigh-in today too. I think weighing on Saturdays will be good for me, so it'll keep me accountable on Fridays (which have been a struggle) and give me that kick of motivation to be good on Saturdays too. Woo! I like new plans. Going to try this out for the month of October and see how well it works. I started the couch 2 5k again this past week and I've completed week 1. Looking forward to week 2. I think 3 days in the gym doing that, ab work, arms and other strength training for an hour or so a day is going to be good for me. At least getting myself into that routine and then trying to up it as I progress. Anyone else have progress to share?
  • jailbirdjubie
    jailbirdjubie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My goal this month is to pare down the wheat products. I've been hearing/reading that gluten is an inflammatory and I've been having a heck of a time with my joints! I'm just going to try to limit or even maybe delete them all together by the end of the month. It's going to be hard, so that's why I'm taking the whole month!

I've weaned myself off of diet soda, so I know I can do it.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Great job so far ladies!

I started Insanity on Sunday, and OMG are my muscles killing me! But it actually feels good, and I'm excited to stick with it. Both kids are doing it with me, and my son (who is 5) LOVES showing me how fast he can go. He told me after yesterdays workout "Mom, I'm a beast!" it was so cute. :laugh:
  • tabarrett0261
    tabarrett0261 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I am new to this group and I need the motivation! I just finished a 12 week Nutritional Weight and Wellness Class and I'm still struggling. I had no willpower at all in September! I'm so mad at myself. I get all this good information and then I don't use it! So my instructors parting words last night were: It does not end after a 12 week course, it does not end after I lose 30+ pounds, it just does not end! She recommended that we take our measurements more than weigh outselves because we will see better results as muscle weighs more than fat and you can get better results with measuring. Makes sense! She also said just eat REAL food! No processed, ultra pasturized, chemically treated, just eat REAL foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables, good fats and a lot of protein. Try to stick to grass fed/range free meats and eat organic as much as you can. I like the idea of living this way, but for some reason I just cannot get away from that darn sugar! I need to eat more balanced meals and snack. When I eat balanced, I do not crave the sugar. So my goals for the month of October are:

1) keep coming to this Web site every day for 15 minutes to get my motivation fix!
    2) Plan, plan and plan some more! Make extra meals and freeze them on Sundays for the week and get lots of healthy snacks and meals lined up. Plan all my snacks and meals balanced with protein, good carbs and good fats. NO SUGAR!

I don't want to start over with lofty goals I can't keep. Hopefully this will do it. Good luck to you all and I will see you tomorrow!
  • tabarrett0261
    Options
    I'm with you JailbirdJubie! Gluten and sugar are killing me! Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • tabarrett0261
    Options
    Oh and I've decided that my long term goal is to REWARD myself every week I'm good with money in a jar going towards a treadmill for my house. I can't afford expensive gym memberships or yoga classes so want to get in the habit of doing it at home. Now that winter is getting closer and the days are shorter, I've lost my walking hours after work. I thought this would be fun to see my fund grow and maybe it will motivate me to keep working towards my goals! Woohoo! Thanks for the motivation today ladies!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've decided that my long term goal is to REWARD myself every week I'm good with money in a jar going towards a treadmill for my house. I can't afford expensive gym memberships or yoga classes so want to get in the habit of doing it at home. Now that winter is getting closer and the days are shorter, I've lost my walking hours after work. I thought this would be fun to see my fund grow and maybe it will motivate me to keep working towards my goals! Woohoo! Thanks for the motivation today ladies!

That's exactly how I am. A friend of mine gave me her treadmill since she never uses it....and it has got to be THE best thing Ive gotten free for myself lol Scour the papers....I'm guessing there are more out there like her.
  • missmacsays
    Options

That's exactly how I am. A friend of mine gave me her treadmill since she never uses it....and it has got to be THE best thing Ive gotten free for myself lol Scour the papers....I'm guessing there are more out there like her.

Yeah definitely look in the papers or craigslist, even in thrift stores or goodwills. People always get them thinking they'll use them and then get rid of them for wayyyyy cheaper. I'm about to buy an exercise bike from someone for $20. I love me a good deal. I need something to do indoors for winter too. I'll be done with the c25k by then AND my work does have a gym, so I can't justify continously spending money on a membership. Although I'm thinking about joining the Y because they have so many classes to offer too. Indecision, as always :D
  • tabarrett0261
    Options
    I will definitely look at all these sites for good deals on a treadmill. I never thought of buying that way. Good idea!

A couple of summers ago I bought a pair of XCountry Skis that fit me perfectly, at a garage sale for $30. I think I will try to get those out again too and go to a trail near my house on those days that I want to play in the snow. My daughter said she would do it with me and we found some at a thrift store for $25. I'll have to make it a goal for the winter!
  • tabarrett0261
    Options
    So how is everyone today? I did really good yesterday and then after work I messed up. No groceries so on the way home my daughter and I stopped at Arby's. Boohoo I'm crying today! My goal for today is to stay on track!!!!! But, because I ate so well the entire day I did not have any swelling or puffiness which made me feel really good. Even after eating Arby's.I'mm going to make a pot of split pea with ham soup tonight. Anyone have a good healthy recipe?

Have a good day everyone! Remember our goals!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Today seems to be a good day!! After eating double my calories on Monday, I logged it and moved on. Today is day two of being on track for this week and I have tomorrow planned too. There's always going to be setbacks or situations that come up that stop us from being perfect, but at least we're here and we want to improve. That's half the battle. I know back a year or so ago, if I had a day like that, I'd just give up on myself and say there was no way I could improve. That's not true though. One meal might set us back, but not enough that it ruins all progress made. Keep up the great work everyone!!
  • tabarrett0261
    Options
    Good job MissMac! I know I need to keep telling myself "it's all worth it!!!" Last night was the 1st time in a very long time that I stuck to my plan all day and night. I had a good day yesterday and that is giving me the movitation to be good today too. That and this group!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Good job MissMac! I know I need to keep telling myself "it's all worth it!!!" Last night was the 1st time in a very long time that I stuck to my plan all day and night. I had a good day yesterday and that is giving me the movitation to be good today too. That and this group!

Yay, I hope you had a good day today also :D