Raw vegans, please!

Options
Hi,

The last time I was completely raw I invested in an excalibur 9 tray dehydrator, which is really awesome, btw! But I feel like that is what was my down fall. Now I am probably 95% raw (my only 'cooked' thing is rice) but I feel like I could do this forever. For me, the dyhdrated foods and fancy, elaborate recipes were kind of teasing me to eat junky foods again. "Raw mock chicken", "Raw mock cheese", "Raw this, raw that.." and at the end of the day I felt like all I was trying to do was chase my Mc. Donalds days. Now I eat completely raw, unaltered, unmixed foods. A banana, a peach, a watermelon...without adding sixty different things and letting it sit for twelve days before it's ready (okay, I exaggerate, but it can feel that way!) lol. Is there an actual term for this form of raw foodism? I want to read about others, their views on it, etc., but now when I type raw anything into Google I get raw cheezecakes and raw philly cheezesteakz, and other variations of foods that make me just wanna get fat again! Does anyone have any input on this?

By the way, there is nothing wrong with either, that is not what I am trying to say at all. And I know that one of these days I'll find my favorite youtubers and make kickass raw onion bread and buy daiya cheese, but, you know, for me it seems more reasonable to just eat the food as it is and leave it alone!

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    On youtube fullyrawkristina is awesome or shakagoddess
  • meeper123
    Options
    Once i get home i am going 80-10-10 for a bit see how i like it
  • carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been incorporating more raw foods lately. I usually start the day raw and eat mostly raw until dinnertime. I've had a few 100% raw days but it's not realistic for me to eat that way in the long term. I love how quickly I can recover from a workout eating raw. I read 80 10 10 and incorporated some of the ideas from that book. I can't just eat 10 bananas though. That's nuts! My diet is a hybrid of Forks over Knives, Thrive, Engine 2 and 80-10-10. Feel free to send me a FR if you want. I no longer track calories but I do record what I eat in the notes section.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love Freelee the banana girl (https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea) her and her partner Durianrider are both raw vegan and really interesting and cool people. They're large advocates of mono eating and just eating straight up fruit and vegetables.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The gourmet raw stuff has always made me feel yuck. Our bodies don't thrive on dehydrated foods. Would we really be eating that in nature? Not so much. We would come upon a fruit tree and eat what was there instead of waiting 8+hrs for something not really even raw to eat. Of course there would be stuff that would fall in the sun and naturally dehydrate but it wouldn't do us much good.

Once in a while its fun to have something dehydrated or gourmet/high fat but if we do it too often theres risk of falling into the junk food trap like you mentioned. Good job sticking to foods in their natural state.

Like the others I love 80/10/10. It takes a little while to get up to eating the amount required but now it's no problem to down a 20 banana smoothie and it makes you feel pretty damn good! :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    I love Freelee the banana girl (https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea) her and her partner Durianrider are both raw vegan and really interesting and cool people. They're large advocates of mono eating and just eating straight up fruit and vegetables.

I like those two a lot :)
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You are following your intuition which is great!
    Low fat is KEY!!
    All those raw gourmet recipes and faux meats make u feel like sludge.
    I follow the 80/10/10 ratio and am about 80% raw.
    Its inspiring to hear about someone who is on this amazing great path.
    Adding u!! Xxxx
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought a Good4U Dehydrator which is basically a cheap Excalibur rip off. I got a 9 tray but in retrospect I'd probably get the Excalibur 4 tray. HOWEVER, I realized I don't like most dehydrated foods either - I had a few that were so gross they threw me off raw as a whole for awhile.

I'm currently still not RAW (but always vegan) but just had a lovely green smoothie for breakfast - kale, peaches, bananas.