Our gym's Paleo challenge this month

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Thought I'd share just for fun. We started a Paleo challenge on Monday scored as follows.

4 points perfect eating.

3 points if you just miss (have some hummus, peanuts)

2 points if you eat a sandwich

1 point for pizza and beer

1 extra point can be earned for:
Attending Crossfit
Taking 4 1000mg fish oil suppliments
Drinking 1 gallon of water per day (128 oz)

My first day was perfect. Today has been as well but I have a cookbook signing at Harpoon Brewery tonight that is probably going to cost me a few points on eating. After this I should be locked in.

Replies

• Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How are they tracking what you're eating? Are they taking measurements as well?

I wish my box did this outside of a "Advocare Challenge." This seems like a lot of fun!
  • georgie304
    Options
    Without a doubt, you are gonna own this challenge!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    My box is doing a 90 Paleo challenge, which ends in three weeks actually. I like it. They weighed and measured us. However, it isn't as detailed as yours with the whole point system. It is basically who loses more after the challenge!!!!!

Good luck on your challenge
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i LOVE harpoon!! i grew up next to the Vermont location.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    i LOVE harpoon!! i grew up next to the Vermont location.

I kept it to about six small beers (4oz sampler glasses) and two pretzels. They make the pretzels out of the spent wheat from the brewing process. Might be the best pretzel I have ever had in my life. Enjoyed it, now back on plan for 28 days.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My gym is also having a Paleo challenge; I'm considering participating. I haven't read all the details, but I gather it's a similar set up to what you mentioned above. I'm not entirely familiar with Paleo, but I know one of the principles of it is to try and stay away from anything that's been processed, right? I'm used to slamming some protein powder mixed with water (which I actually enjoy). I'm guessing this is probably not in line with that diet, but I'm used to having protein powder or a Quest bar every day to help get my protein up in the 100g area. What would you recommend as a substitute, since I'm betting these are not options for the strict paleo eater.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    So most of you can see my diary because we are friends here (If not, add me.)

If I didn't know for FACT that I was doing everything right the scale this morning would have me worried.

I'm eating enough (I even cheated Tuesday evening) and have been pretty hard-core paleo. I ate a ton of fruit yesterday because I had a 5k and wanted to make sure my glycogen stores were filled up. I drink a gallon of water a day at least (and one coffee) and take 4 1000mg fish oils per day.

Also, I weighed in Monday evening in clothes and my NB Minimus shoes. Still, that weigh-in was 304. This morning I weighed 290.5.
  • georgie304
    Options
    So most of you can see my diary because we are friends here (If not, add me.)

If I didn't know for FACT that I was doing everything right the scale this morning would have me worried.

I'm eating enough (I even cheated Tuesday evening) and have been pretty hard-core paleo. I ate a ton of fruit yesterday because I had a 5k and wanted to make sure my glycogen stores were filled up. I drink a gallon of water a day at least (and one coffee) and take 4 1000mg fish oils per day.

Also, I weighed in Monday evening in clothes and my NB Minimus shoes. Still, that weigh-in was 304. This morning I weighed 290.5.

Wow! Very nice!
  • Dmkolls
    Options

You are OWNING it! That is awesome!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options

:noway:

WHOA. Apparently paleo agrees with you!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Weighed in at 296 this morning after a slightly non-Paleo dinner (Chili with beans and veggies and cheese) and a pretty paleo blackened chicken salad.

That makes more sense to me. I think before the scale was a bit off and I was a bit dehydrated. Will report back in Monday morning for a 1 week number.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Paleo Challenge for my box starts Oct 14th. We've got a points system as well, and we have to take fish oil and vitamin D. Also have to turn in our food diaries every Monday throughout. If you fail to turn it in, you get disqualified. I'm excited!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up with my final results.

Started on Sept 9th at 304.

Weighed in on October 9th (31 days) at 287. (290 as of this morning and going back on strict Paleo for another month)

Chest measurement was down 2.5 inches
    Waist at belly button down 3 inches.

Neck was 1/4th an inch bigger. BEAST MODE!!
  • Dmkolls
    Options

Weighed in on October 9th (31 days) at 287. (290 as of this morning and going back on strict Paleo for another month)

Awesome! We're 3 weeks into our challenge. Nobody on our team (me included) has seen any scale changes thus far. We've got until November 15th, but we hope to have results like yours!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My gym is also having a Paleo challenge; I'm considering participating. I haven't read all the details, but I gather it's a similar set up to what you mentioned above. I'm not entirely familiar with Paleo, but I know one of the principles of it is to try and stay away from anything that's been processed, right? I'm used to slamming some protein powder mixed with water (which I actually enjoy). I'm guessing this is probably not in line with that diet, but I'm used to having protein powder or a Quest bar every day to help get my protein up in the 100g area. What would you recommend as a substitute, since I'm betting these are not options for the strict paleo eater.

Do some research before you decide to try it. There are so many more "restrictions" other than just processed stuff and grains..

for example, no meats with nitrates - almost impossible to avoid with bacon and lunch meats. Nothing with sugar or soy- almost impossible to avoid with salad dressings, bacon (sugar), and TONS of other stuff.

No grains or beans whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I eat paleo and I love it. It has really leaned me up despite eating the same amt of calories I did before I started paleo. It forces you to be creative with your meals, which I love, because before paleo I had a habit of making the same easy crap for dinner.

this is a really good post to read before starting paleo. http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/

it's kind of long, but very good info!!
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    My box is doing a Paleo challenge right now, about 3 weeks left. This is harder than the workouts :)
    BTW, what Box do you belong to? I belong to the CF-Franklin in MA
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's hard right?? To me, the food is delicious...I have no gripes about eating the "healthy" food...the hard part is saying no to cereal. and pie.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Awesome! We're 3 weeks into our challenge. Nobody on our team (me included) has seen any scale changes thus far. We've got until November 15th, but we hope to have results like yours!

I want to say that 10 or 11 lbs came off the first week for me and the rest over the next few weeks. Make sure you are drinking the water, it actually helps with fat burning quite a bit.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My box is doing a Paleo challenge right now, about 3 weeks left. This is harder than the workouts :)
    BTW, what Box do you belong to? I belong to the CF-Franklin in MA

Forever Crossfit in Watertown.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    My Paleo challenge ended on September 30th. It lasted 3 months and I lost 20 pounds and a lot of inches. I still follow the Paleo lifestyle, I actually like it better.

Also, if you have a Whole Foods near you, you can get the nitrate free bacon and organic salad dressing if you need it. I buy the organic ketchup and salad dressing for my son.

Congrats on your success on your challenge