5 Steps to Gluten Free!

Options
I searched and didn't see this posted. I'm on a gluten-free mailing list from my grandma's friend and she sent me this:

Step One – Omit the obvious foods from your diet. These are foods that can easily be identified as containing the grains to be avoided (wheat, rye, non-GF oats, and barley). Avoid cereals, breads, pasta, desserts. Avoid non-GF beers and ales. Try eggs, cream of rice, or fruit for breakfast. Substitute rice cakes, rice, potatoes, or corn tortillas for the breads and pastas you have usually eaten. Have sherbet or fruit for dessert. Use vinegar and oil on salads. Drink milk, 100% fruit juice, coffee, or teas. This step is a huge change from the ‘normal’ diet. Now sit back and breathe! Yes, it may not be fun, but you can still eat. Now you are ready to move on to step two.

Step Two – Begin reading labels for less obvious sources of gluten in food. Learn what to watch out for by reading labels. Avoid anything you think is suspect for having gluten. Keep in touch with a contact person, the GIG® office or a local support group. Step two can be very confusing. You will learn new words, and look at food and food preparation in a new way. It’s usually here that people will panic. This is a natural feeling. The reality of your situation is setting in. If need be, break this step into ‘baby steps.’ Only read labels on a certain group of products, such as condiments or frozen foods. Carry a pen and paper with you. If you find a product that appears to be safe write it down. Once you have a few items in a category of foods add another to your list, so that eventually you have a number of foods you feel comfortable buying. You can quickly review the label each time you purchase it. You still don’t know it all, but you are closer and haven’t made yourself and those around you crazy in the process.

Step Three – Reach out and touch someone. Now it is time to try calling or writing to a manufacturer. In doing this, make sure you are using the proper terms and being very specific in what you are asking. You don’t have far to go.

Step Four – Continue to fine tune. Now start looking at the things you may have never thought of…medicines, mouthwash, and toothpaste. Consider cross-contamination issues – such as toasters, shared foods products like mayonnaise, margarine, and jam. What about your chewing gum or breath mints?

Step Five – Finally, begin to explore new foods that are naturally gluten-free. There are many gluten-free grains you may not have tried before, like sorghum, teff and buckwheat (which is naturally gluten-free, despite its name). Often when some doors are closed, others are opened. Look at your gluten-free diet as an opportunity to discover new gluten-free foods and cuisines. Get inspired by Mexican or Indian spices and ingredients. Corn tortillas, salsas, guacamole and beans are naturally gluten-free. Cook with traditional Indian ingredients like cumin, turmeric and lentils.

We never stop learning if we choose to keep our eyes and minds open. Be thankful for a diagnosis and someone to lean on. Take one step at a time and learn and grow healthy!

This document may be reproduced for educational purpose only.
Other helpful information is available at www.GLUTEN.net.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I did it in two steps. I found a few gluten free recipes that I liked while I was still eating wheat. Then I cut everything with gluten out of my diet and cleaned the kitchen. It took about two days.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest challenge is the contents of packaged foods. Not only do I have gluten intolerance, but also gliadin which is the same kind of protein in other grains.

The ones that used to catch me out were malt vinegar, and maltodextrin ... both of which can be derived from wheat. For some it doesn't affect them; unfortunately they do affect me. The other good one is oven chips ... often dusted with flour to make them fluff up; so beware.

Add to that the fact that labelling ingredients less than 5% of the total is n't mandatory here it makes life interesting.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Add to that the fact that labelling ingredients less than 5% of the total is n't mandatory here it makes life interesting.

That could be a catastrophe. We just got a gluten free standard in the States, so that anything labeled "gluten free" has to have 20 parts per million or less. I suspect that standard is based on the ability to detect gluten with ELISA, which is a sensitive test. It doesn't necessarily mean that some people couldn't be sensitive to even smaller amounts.
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did it in two steps. I found a few gluten free recipes that I liked while I was still eating wheat. Then I cut everything with gluten out of my diet and cleaned the kitchen. It took about two days.

Same here. I knew it was coming, so I found some recipes and did some research beforehand. I met the surgeon, learned my celiac fate, had one last spicy chicken burger from Wendys (I really did) and have never eaten gluten again.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I came across this site recently and started to follow it: https://www.facebook.com/WildLives
    Lots of great recipes and info.
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found this wonderful app that has been so helpful. It's call GF overflow. When you're in the grocery store, you can enter what type of food you are looking for like "salad dressing" and it will give you a list of all the GF salad dressings available.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I have found this wonderful app that has been so helpful. It's call GF overflow. When you're in the grocery store, you can enter what type of food you are looking for like "salad dressing" and it will give you a list of all the GF salad dressings available.

Thanks for the tip. That sounds useful!
  • temera
    temera Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the steps. Any steps on how to deal with the Withdrawal symptoms? I've been gluten free for 3 months. I feel like I've ruined my life. I look better but feel horrible. Headaches, electro currents or some weird shooting pains in my head, dizziness and fatigue. I've seen every doctor and nothing is physically wrong other than I have gluten sensitivity pretty bad. Occassionally I've had a cookie or a protein bar with gluten and I get sick. I am not sure what is worse. The withdrawal symptoms or the gluten sensitivity.

How much longer for the Withdrawal Symptoms? What can I do to help?
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the steps. Any steps on how to deal with the Withdrawal symptoms? I've been gluten free for 3 months. I feel like I've ruined my life. I look better but feel horrible. Headaches, electro currents or some weird shooting pains in my head, dizziness and fatigue. I've seen every doctor and nothing is physically wrong other than I have gluten sensitivity pretty bad. Occassionally I've had a cookie or a protein bar with gluten and I get sick. I am not sure what is worse. The withdrawal symptoms or the gluten sensitivity.

It takes your stomach 6-24 months to heal, so you're just starting. Stay away from those cookies and protein bars with gluten. You're extending how long it will take your body to heal. I literally felt better at the 6 month mark on the nose. It just takes time.
  • lithezebra
    Options

It sounds like you're having gluten problems, not gluten withdrawal problems, since you haven't given up gluten. I've heard that some people who are gluten sensitive can have some gluten, but if you're still having problems, you probably aren't one of those people. People who have celiac disease must avoid all gluten.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're having gluten problems, not gluten withdrawal problems, since you haven't given up gluten. I've heard that some people who are gluten sensitive can have some gluten, but if you're still having problems, you probably aren't one of those people. People who have celiac disease must avoid all gluten.
    ^^ Great answer/observation.....