Gloves?

Options
Wondering if you ladies use gloves when lifting? It seems like sweaty hands start slipping on the bar.........

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    only for the pulls (rows and deadlifts) and I'm about to put on my big girl knickers and buy some chalk instead.. chalk is supposed to be better all round!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use gloves... chalk seems too messy for my liking. My boyfriend uses these grip gloves he got from work for moving boxes.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No gloves and my gym doesn't allow chalk (then again they supposedly don't allow jeans, workboots, dropping weights, or not reracking your weights, but that doesn't stop people....did I mention my gym doensn't have the most sophisticated of clients?). I just suck it up, wipe my hands on my towel, and am learning to love calluses.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use some pretty thin gloves for everything, but now that I'm starting to get really heavy (for me) on DLs I may have to stop using them on that lift and change up my grip some. My gym doesn't allow chalk.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    I was told by the guys on the SLIC that are pulling 300+ lbs "Gloves just add extra thickness making it harder to grip, and adds more creases and folds to make callus formation worse" You may want to get wrist straps if you are having trouble with grip strength, but starting out with chalk is your best bet.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Chalk is allowed at my gym, but I don't even know where I would get it. Is it just plain chalk like for writing on a board?
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Chalk is allowed at my gym, but I don't even know where I would get it. Is it just plain chalk like for writing on a board?

Google weight lifting chalk, check sports authority, or ****s sporting, or order it online.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Chalk. You can make do with regular calcium carbonate chalk (blackboard or sidewalk kind, even). Magnesium carbonate is preferred by many lifters as it has less slip. That's the chalk that rock climbers use, too, and you will find it in stores that cater to climbers. The sidewalk variety is less messy, but mag carbonate gives you a more secure grip and is easier to use since it's designed for the purpose of, well, chalking your hands.

Gloves will be a problem if you have small hands. The bigger the diameter of whatever you are gripping, the harder it is to hold on to. This is especially a problem for many women, so keep that in mind--it could be the reason your grip fails on deadlifts, and the reason your presses feel weak. You need a secure grip to transfer force to the bar and to protect your shoulders and elbows.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I do have small hands.............
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Within the last couple of months I've dumped the gloves (& straps) and started using chalk for Deadlifts, Romanian Deadlifts, and Power Cleans (and eventually other Olympic lifts I hope to include in my workouts soon). Everything else I do wear my gloves simply because I like wearing them, always have, and if it's not a heavy pull it has never been an issue for me as far as grip is concerned.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I dislike gloves. They cause more problems than they solve.

I do own a pair, however. The only time I use them is when I want to use the pull-up bar at the local park, and the metal is too hot from being out in the sun...

I don't use them for barbells.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I do own a pair, however. The only time I use them is when I want to use the pull-up bar at the local park, and the metal is too hot from being out in the sun...

I have a pair that I keep in my bag for chin-ups, when I do them at the gym and my only choice is the cheese grater bar.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options

I have a pair that I keep in my bag for chin-ups, when I do them at the gym and my only choice is the cheese grater bar.

Oh yeah, the dreaded cheese grater bars!! Forgot to mention those, lol
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I was told by the guys on the SLIC that are pulling 300+ lbs "Gloves just add extra thickness making it harder to grip, and adds more creases and folds to make callus formation worse" You may want to get wrist straps if you are having trouble with grip strength, but starting out with chalk is your best bet.

I only listen to dudes that pull 600+

When I first started lifting my delicate gamer hands hurt even holding the bar to squat. I used my cycling gloves and gradually toughened up my hands. Now I use chalk on my last 2 sets of deads, and go barehanded on the rest of my lifts. They do have a chalk substitute available that does an okay job according to the internets. If your gym doesn't allow chalk hit up amazon and give it a shot.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    If your gym doesn't allow chalk, that may refer to the powdery stuff. I ordered some liquid chalk off amazon. I used it for awhile on deadlifts, and then after awhile it seemed I didn't really need it.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    All of the bars at my gym are "cheese grater".
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Have any of you ordered gloves online? How do I know which size to buy?
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use gloves on everything except deadlifts mostly because it helps with calluses. For some reason, even if my hands get sweaty, I feel like I can grip the bar better. I also wish I could use chalk, but my gym doesn't allow it either.
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was gloves, because the bar I got online is pretty crappy. (waiting until I get higher in weights to get a better bar). However I have tiny little girl hands and have a hard time holding the bar for squats (for everything else I'm fine, go figure.
  • thingo
    thingo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on Team No Glove these days. Ditched the gloves and now using hook-grip when I need to and improving my grip strength overall.