Fingernails

Options
I noticed in the welcome thread (I think) a few others talking about the weak nails we seem to be plagued with. Does anyone have suggestions for strengtheners or other things that may have helped them?

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I swear by Nail Envy by OPI. LOVE that stuff. I also noticed my nails got much stronger when I switched to natural dessicated thyroid meds from synthetics.
  • djserani
    Options
    Ohhh! Thank you! I'll try that.

And I'm going to go for the natural thyroid meds when I go to the docs again.
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I will ask about that.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've started to notice my fingernails actually regaining a little strength and some sheen now even with only a few weeks in on Nature-Throi. I've also added B-12 shots and extra D, as well as trying to get in more grassfed gelatin. Not sure if it's the combination of things, but I'm excited to see them growing again!
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was actually just looking at gelatin supplements the other day and thinking about taking them for my nails. As of yet, the best thing I've found is Sally Hansen Nail Strengthener, but if you don't use it pretty much every day or two it doesn't seem to really help.

Rose, are you liking the natural meds? I have heard of them, but haven't done much research because I'm assuming they cost a lot more. The Synthroid (well, the Levo generic) is on the $10/90 day supply list at my local pharmacy. Don't want to hijack the thread, so feel free to answer in a new thread so we can keep this one about nails if you want. :-)
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've started to notice my fingernails actually regaining a little strength and some sheen now even with only a few weeks in on Nature-Throi. I've also added B-12 shots and extra D, as well as trying to get in more grassfed gelatin. Not sure if it's the combination of things, but I'm excited to see them growing again!

Gelatin is excellent for nails. I am going to look into making my own bone broth at home once I get a bigger crock pot, right now I have one of those dinky ones for making a meal for like 2 people - that won't cut it for making broth! lol Bone broth is loaded with vitamins, minerals, gelatin, and all that good stuff.
    Rose, are you liking the natural meds? I have heard of them, but haven't done much research because I'm assuming they cost a lot more. The Synthroid (well, the Levo generic) is on the $10/90 day supply list at my local pharmacy. Don't want to hijack the thread, so feel free to answer in a new thread so we can keep this one about nails if you want. :-)

I absolutely love being on NDT (natural dessicated thyroid). Levothyroxine and Synthroid did nothing for me except normalize my blood numbers for TSH and all that. I never felt better for the long haul. I would feel good for a week after a med increase and then it would wear off. I feel more level on NDT meds, like my body is actually using the hormones. Another good thing is Synthroid is only T4, NDT has all of the thyroid hormones so that makes a huge difference.

The reason I wanted to switch to Westhroid-P is because it has very few ingredeints and no fillers. And I have been seeing rumors circulate that Armour has trace amounts of gluten in it...not to mention the cellulose fillers. I had to chew those to make sure I broke the pill up enough and absorb the thyroid hormone.