Nutrition

Options
Jasminna
Jasminna Posts: 24 Member
My first topic is about nutrition: how long have you been logging your food? Either MFP or food diary.
How has it helped you?
What are your goals?

Replies

• mizzfreeman
    Options
    I have been loggin in my food for a few months off and on. However even when I am not logging my food I am still watching my food intake (sugar, calories etc) It has helped me to know how I need to fix how i was eating and how to better myself. My goal is to lose about 10-15lbs as well as to lose some body fat in my stomach area. Right now it is hard for me becuase I am working 3 jobs however that is no longer an excuse for me.
  • Trish1278
    Trish1278 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have only just started on MFP today but have logged both my food log and exercise log in a yearly calendar book for sometime. I do better when I am keeping close track of my accomplishments. My goal is to lose 20-25 lbs and I am striving to have at least 10-lbs off by the first of the year.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my food on and off for many years. The problem I found when I first started was that if I had to write it down, I simply wouldn't eat. So not good, I was eating way under 1200 calories a day. The next time I tried logging, I was accused of cheating on my own diary, so I quit. The last time, I was meeting with a dietitian three times a week, and she helped me to log and eat meals at the same time. The MFP app for my phone is really a godsend, when it comes to logging this time around. I have found that when I quit logging I quit watching what I eat and start gaining weight. So, lets just say that I have a ton of weight to lose, and am trying to be vigilant in logging what I eat so that I can get the scale to move in the right direction.
  • Jasminna
    Options
    Food is so tricky, it can be a way we survive, a hobby or career, we reward ourselves, or even emotionaly support our brains.
    MFP is a great tool... Even at the grocery store there are products that are questionable or don't have nutrition labels and I just scan with the bar code feature :) love it.
    I am also guilty of not logging my food and that's something that goes back and forth with me.
    I have been doing it so long that I have imbedded in me head to make good choices but I do tend to eat under my calorie goal if I don't log my food.
    So the other day I was excercising and I couldn't push myself as much as I wanted because I felt like I didn't drink enough water throughout the day. I try to keep a bottle with me at all times but I constantly need to be working at this.
    How are you guys doing with your water intake?
    Do you log it in MFP or do u forget?
  • Jessiejla80
    Jessiejla80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Jessica and was looking for a new active group to join:-) I've been logging in for 35 days in a row. I had baby #6 5 1/2 months ago so I figured it was time to get back into shape. I used MFP after #5 also. I love it and I love how easy it is to log everything. I have about 10-15 more lbs to go but I'm getting there one day at a time.
  • Jasminna
    Options
    Congratulations
    Baby number 6 that is a special kind of momma <3
    My first and only is 6 months and I'm having a blast!
    I'd like to just say to all the moms that are making healthy choices everyday
    THANK YOU
    We are making a difference by leading by example
    We need to raise active and healthy kids to lead our future generations
    Educate them about health fitness and nutrition.
    And it's amazing to me that we find time to do it all everyday cuz
    Everyday life gets in the way and we just go with flow the best we can
    Fit moms deserve a gold medal :)
  • Jasminna
    Options
    How has everyone been doing this week
    Have you come across and set back? Weakness or cravings?
    Are you rocking it this week? What's motivating you?
    Are you working out alone or in group?
    How was ur eating overall ?

Think about how u feel when u have been working out hard and someone actually notices and makes a comment, can you pass this gift on to anyone you know that has been working hard and might need a compliment or some encouragement?
    Helping each other is so powerful and allows that positive energy to come back to you.

Feel free to invite anyone to the group too
  • Jasminna
    Options
    It's been one week, how are you doing reaching towards your goals?
    We are here for you
  • mizcanbro
    Options
    This has been a good week diet and exercise wise but I really struggle with drinking enough water. Mostly I forget but also don't like the bloating feeling I get after drinking a glass of water. I really don't like having to run to the bathroom a hundred times a day. So 20 to 40 oz is usually about all I drink in a day, give or take. Any tips or suggestions?
  • Jasminna
    Options
    Your right the bloated feeling sucks, but that means our bodies are retaining it cuz we need it, the bloat does go away with drinking more water.... Sounds crazy but it does. Water flushes toxins from our body constantly so I try to think bout that when I'm going often. Having a water bottle ready at all times helps: in the car, by your bed, desk, extra cold is my favorite.
    Your body will give you key signs of thirst so watch out if your not getting enough.
    And if you are great job everybody!
  • Jasminna
    Options
    When you look at an items nutrition facts, what stands out to you? What do you look at most?

When I first started I wasn't into counting calories but I did have a general amount I would like to stay at for each meal.
    Usually 300-400 meal or snack and dinner 400-600 depending on the day and activity.

I would usually look at protein first and decide if it was a protein rich food that is worth the calories.

Fiber is my next stop, plenty of people overlook this health need

Then I would look and supers and sodium equally... Depending on the foods they can be extremely high so it doesn't hurt to look and maybe compare to a healthier choice.

The Vitamins section is important especially if you aren't getting enough iron and nutrients from fresh produce or a daily supplement. It's important to try to get most of your vitamins from natural food sources but it may be had for some of us and daily supplements help.

Are you a nutrition fact checker???
  • toniwoo88
    toniwoo88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my foods for about 60 days now. MFP has really helped me because when I started my weightloss and healthy living journey I was eating good but my portion sixes were horrible. MFP has challenged me to be mindful of what and how much I'm eating and to measure everything I eat. I really appreciate that because my lack of awareness might def would not have gotten me as far as MFP has.