Ender's Game

Options
Kadoober
Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
Is anyone else darn near pooping their pants with a mixture of glee and terror at the mere thought of this movie adaptation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRizeR4MmU

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, so I'm looking forward to it... then I'll read the book.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I already wanna put a costume together :D
  • Kadoober
    Options
    A costume! LOL, I love it!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to see it but lets just say the thought isn't filling me with glee. Ender's game is one of the first books I remember reading and I love it. I love the whole series and I'm worried that the movies is gonna be badddddddd
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to see it, loved the book. And I'm also excited about Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley. I was surprised to see a trailer for it when we took the kids to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 last weekend. That has me thinking perhaps I could bring them (ages 9 and 7). Most of what I found disturbing in the book was psychological stuff that would go over their heads anyhow. It helps that the actor isn't an 8 year old. I had to keep reminding myself throughout how YOUNG Ender really was.

I'm eager to hear how kid-appropriate (or not) the film is before I decide though.
  • formongo
    formongo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I'm boycotting.
    WHY!?!

Ender's Game stunned me. So hope the movie measures up!
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's been years since I read the book; I read it back when I was a tween who didn't really realize that authors were real people, past a name on the cover. And then they announced the movie, and with it a bunch of Orson Scott Card bashing. Turns out he doesn't seem like the kind of person I would really want to associate with, but gah, the book was so good!

/mixedfeelings
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Okay, I looked up Card on Wikipedia and read things that were news to me.

Being raised Mormon helped me watch their culture evolve, and my family's views on homosexuality currently seem to be in flux, as are many non-Mormons around the country. They once banned African Americans from holding priesthood, but now allow it. Women are still not allowed, which is part of what first drove me out.

Don't think I can ban Ender's Game, loved it too much, have to see if the movie can come close. But it's going to be tainted for me now.

SleepyOtter: LOVE your picture!
  • Kadoober
    Options
    I've never been one to pay much attention to the personalities or private lives of those who've created works that I love. So I was ignorant to many of OSC's views, right up until the controversy with this movie came to light.

I admit... I am appalled that the person who created ENDER (of ALL characters! C'mon!) has such short sighted views. I don't think I would care for him much as a person.

BUT. Ender Wiggin is one of my favorite characters of all time. More as Speaker Ender, but still. I love Ender, and the rather extreme douchebaggery of OSC won't stop me from seeing the movie. Probably a little hunched down in my seat, peeking through my hands, like when Hitchhikers Guide came out. I am so excited to see this on the big screen, and so scared it's going to suck!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Read the book twice, ready to see the movie. Hope it doesn't disappoint

ETA: If I boycotted every movie that was created by people who had views I didn't agree with, I would almost never see any movies
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book. I plan to read it though. I do not know details about the Author's views, however know someone who commented about him because he was a Mormon as well. The way I look at it, I don't boycott people for having opinions and views about the world. The only people I have problems with are those that want to force their views on me.

We live in America, we are all allowed to our own opinions. The only time I have a problem with people is when they try to force their religious views on me. Or if you act hatefully toward others.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to look forward to this because movies have a tendency to ruin awesome things, but... gah!
  • Kadoober
    Options
    I didn't want to look forward to this because movies have a tendency to ruin awesome things, but... gah!

I know. It's so rare for a movie to come even close to being as good as the book it's adapted from. The only two that come to mind at present are Misery and The Silence of the Lambs.

I don't expect this movie to be better than the book. I just don't want the book to be brutalized by the movie. I will be one sad panda.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ive been listening to the audiobook on repeat for a week lol
  • TheBabyRaider
    TheBabyRaider Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm :) Cute-Nerd! Who's getting into The Halloween Spirit & I just bought "Dead Rising 2- PC Game today :-D Hope its good!
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Okay, now that it's out, has anybody seen the new ENDER's GAME movie yet? Any reviews?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I went this morning and really liked it, but I haven't read the book.
  • Kadoober
    Options
    Okay, now that it's out, has anybody seen the new ENDER's GAME movie yet? Any reviews?

I enjoyed it, I really loved how much attention they paid to the sets, so much of it looked just like it's looked in my head for the last 25 years. They managed to hit the major plot points, but there was a lot that was lost due to time constraints (I'm guessing). The entire Locke/Demosthenes line is gone, but that makes sense to me, though if they continue to make films from this series I will miss it in the long run.

A few things that I felt they rushed through, that impacted the overall feel of the story, and more so the feel of Ender himself:

In the mind game, specifically the Giants Drink, there is no agonizing over passing that stage. In fact, it doesn't appear to be a stage, rather the whole game. He tries each drink once, gets frustrated, and just bores right through the eye. No frustration, no agonizing for weeks, rather he just jumps right to death.

There isn't really anything illustrated in the movie that gives any reason for all these kids to follow him. How does he lead? You get little almost nothing of that. One battle with Salamander, immediately gets Dragon, one battle with Dragon, he fights Bonzo and right of Command school, where everyone is waiting for him. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they could have used a montage.

There's no evolution of toons, or their plays. It just all happens.

They mention the ansible, and Strategos, and Hegemon, with no reference whatsoever. I wonder what people who've never read the book thought of that? Like, what the heck ARE those things?

They did stay pretty true to the story, I will definitely give them that. There was a bit of a tweak to the ending, that will leave a nice door open for a sequel, I would guess Ender in Exile, rather than Speaker for the Dead.

My fiancé said it would have been better served as an HBO series, and I can't disagree with him, it would have been able to preserve a lot of the heart of the story that was lost in a 2 hour movie.

That said, I was still giddy as a school girl. I got choked up numerous times (even during previews), just to be able to see these things with my eyes!
  • Kadoober
    Options
    I went this morning and really liked it, but I haven't read the book.

Ah! I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering what it would have been like to see it without being familiar with the story. I thought there might be a fair amount of confusion. Cool!