Will You Be Stocking Up??

Options
allison0820
allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
So I am 15 weeks + 4 Days.. and am about to start a baby stock pile.. With my first child I was very lucky and got a lot of packs of diapers at baby showers, so much so that I didn't have to buy any diapers for the 1st month or 2..... So I plan to use coupons and start getting some of the following...

*Diapers (various sizes)
*Diaper Wipes
*Diaper Rash Ointment
*Baby Bath Supplies (lotions, soap, shampoo)

So I have a question... what are your thoughts on stock piling formula?? I recall you need a lot of formula and that it is very expensive.. I know sometimes you have to change formula and such but I believe you can exchange formula if you get the wrong kind??? so my question for those who do not plan to breastfeed.. would you consider stocking up on baby formula (keeping receipts in case you had to exchange it later after the baby).. and then does anyone know what the shelf life of formula is??

My 1st child is 14 so it's been a while.. am I missing anything else that I could stock up on in advance??? Ideas are welcome!!

Feel free to add me!! :)

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We went a different route and every time we went to Target, we added a $25 gift card to what we were already buying. That helped SO MUCH in the end because we didn't miss the $25 along the way, but my son is 9 months old and we still have giftcards left. Then we could use it on whatever we needed it for, as opposed to having packs of diapers or tins of formula you may not need.

We did, however, stock up on house stuff like toilet paper, dog food, etc, so we wouldn't have to get out and buy those after baby came :)
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We went a different route and every time we went to Target, we added a $25 gift card to what we were already buying.

What a great idea!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing $20 gift cards a couple of times a month like Fitmama!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are so on top of things already!!! I'm 32 weeks 5 days and haven't bought anything. Granted this is my 4th, but I haven't bought diapers or anything of that nature. I also haven't even pulled out my baby stuff just yet. I think the gift card idea is great that way you have the money there and then can use them on what you need them for later on. It's hard to buy diapers and wipes early because you never know if your baby will be allergic to any of them.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You should see if Amazon Mom Subscribe and Save has good formula deals. You won't even have to go out and buy it, or pay shipping, and you could do the same thing with socking money away toward Amazon gift cards. I know they have some good diaper deals.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 weeks with my first and started buying boring stuff right away, I heard someone once say when you find out you're pregnant you should spend $20 a week on supplies so you don't have such a burden when the baby comes and you're not working.. Being my first I need everything, so it seemed like great advice. I plan on buying baby & general household supplies we'll need.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    It's a very good idea. I got so many diapers w my 2yo I was good for a couple months too. Formula, I am pretty sure I tried to return once & was told they coukldnt accept it. So I would say, definitely double/triple check!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We went a different route and every time we went to Target, we added a $25 gift card to what we were already buying.

Best. Idea. EvAr. Gah, so wish I would have thought of this!

We are overly stocked on wipes and diapers (we are doing cloth, but for just in case purposes, we grabbed a few boxes and can always donate them if they don't get used).
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would definitely stock up on diapers and wipes but not formula since you don't know what your baby will be able to take.
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    So I am 15 weeks + 4 Days.. and am about to start a baby stock pile.. With my first child I was very lucky and got a lot of packs of diapers at baby showers, so much so that I didn't have to buy any diapers for the 1st month or 2..... So I plan to use coupons and start getting some of the following...

*Diapers (various sizes)
    *Diaper Wipes
    *Diaper Rash Ointment
    *Baby Bath Supplies (lotions, soap, shampoo)

So I have a question... what are your thoughts on stock piling formula?? I recall you need a lot of formula and that it is very expensive.. I know sometimes you have to change formula and such but I believe you can exchange formula if you get the wrong kind??? so my question for those who do not plan to breastfeed.. would you consider stocking up on baby formula (keeping receipts in case you had to exchange it later after the baby).. and then does anyone know what the shelf life of formula is??

My 1st child is 14 so it's been a while.. am I missing anything else that I could stock up on in advance??? Ideas are welcome!!

Feel free to add me!! :)

If you are planning on formula feeding that I would totally stock up you can get some great coupons offers and free samples from similac enfamil and gerber. If you have bought the stuff I'd keep the receipts with the cans and if it doesn't work out see if you can exchange it but Yes the stuff is very expensive and they eat a lot! LoL
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a FTM but I Have been a foster mom to infants...

I think most things you can stock up on whenever you see a good deal...but I wouldn't bother stocking up formula.

The thing about formula is babies might have unsuspected issues....lactose intolerant babies need a different formula, some babies need to be on rice formula because regular and soy formulas don't sit well. Some kids just have terrible gas pains and there's formulas that are better suited for them, and even if a company/store is willing to exchange...if your only 15 weeks will they be willing to exchange a year down the road (or if that specific size/style/brand is discontinued or no longer sold at that location), and will they exchange for a different brand if the brand you bought doesn't make a dairy free formula (for example). In my experience its WAYYY more of a hassle to try and exchange things months later then it is if you are exchanging something right away/trying one at a time to make sure it works before buying in bulk.

I would buy some (enough to get you started and not have to buy anything the first month or so maybe), but I wouldn't go a buy huge amounts at least until the new year/closer to being due.