Lost It - Bawling!

I was reading a story online about a diabetic lady who got it when she was 10-years-old (just like me) and now she only has one limb left. The part where she says she was in a wheelchair watching her sons play on the beach and wanted to be down there with them made me start to cry, then tears and bawling my eyes out. I don't want complications from diabetes! I was really bad controlling it all through my teens and even early adult hood with all the partying I did. It was during pregnancy that i really took good control (just like the lady in story) and i havn't been able to get that good of control since giving birth - still trying and getting really frustrated but i now really want to try soooo much harder and not even look at something high in sugar ever again. So scared that because i neglected so long that this is where im going and have no chance to turn it around..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1309609/The-cruel-cost-ignoring-diabetes-Jane-lost-arm-legs-disease-like-didnt-seriously.html

Replies

• Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    We have to do the best we can with what we have. There's so much our of our control. My sugars go wacky for no apparent reason, but then, they get back on track. Very frustrating. One day at a time. Sometimes, I have to go to one hour at a time when the cravings set it.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Yes I must do better! Every day better! I don't want to miss out on a thing! This is my life! Eff you diabetes - dont eff with Barb! I am stronger than you even though I am unable to kill you, I will still beat you Diabetes!
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    I have a lot of complications from my poor control when I was younger.22 1/2yrs after diagnosis, I have retinopathy, macular degeneration, gastroperisis, neuropathy, kidney issues, weight issues, they believe my fibromyalgia is also due to my diabetes, and last but certainly the worst, the heart and health conditions my youngest son has because insurance refused to pay for a pump while I was pregnant with him and averaged 500+ BG's. I wish everyday that I could go back and show myself where I am health wise today and hope that it would change my ways. I'm very lucky when I went into renal failure last year that I have been able to get them functioning normally again and I do still have all of my limbs and am not completely blind. I am so thankful for that.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    I was reading a story online about a diabetic lady who got it when she was 10-years-old (just like me) and now she only has one limb left. The part where she says she was in a wheelchair watching her sons play on the beach and wanted to be down there with them made me start to cry, then tears and bawling my eyes out. I don't want complications from diabetes! I was really bad controlling it all through my teens and even early adult hood with all the partying I did. It was during pregnancy that i really took good control (just like the lady in story) and i havn't been able to get that good of control since giving birth - still trying and getting really frustrated but i now really want to try soooo much harder and not even look at something high in sugar ever again. So scared that because i neglected so long that this is where im going and have no chance to turn it around..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1309609/The-cruel-cost-ignoring-diabetes-Jane-lost-arm-legs-disease-like-didnt-seriously.html

I totally agree with you there. The biggest fear I have is not spiders or something scary, but having complications. It scares me because I am a type 1 diagnosed at age 10, but I have high insulin resistance as well so the lowest A1C I have ever had in 19 years was 7.9. I got into bad habits in undergrad too, and still have trouble beating them. Finances always play a role too, pump supplies like my sensors get so expensive, however if I wear my sensor I have much better control. I want to have a child sometime in the near future with my soon to be hubby and am a diabetes educator. I am getting back on track again, and find being on MFP is helping to motivate me a little.

I added spaces for BG numbers under my check-in measurements so that I can add the numbers and times in throughout the day to help keep track as well as downloading my pump at home. It take practice and lots of support to stay on track. Check out the book Diabetes Burnout too. Its a great read and helps when you are frustrated with numbers and such
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Oh diabetes is so hard...........I don't remember ever having an A1C under 7.9.... Is that really bad though. I know normal is between 4.5 - 8.0 so why not 7.9??? Way better than 12.0 or something!
  • Emsamom
    Emsamom Posts: 5 Member

I added spaces for BG numbers under my check-in measurements so that I can add the numbers and times in throughout the day to help keep track as well as downloading my pump at home.

What a great idea! I'm already here to enter my food info, so now I will just add my BG as well. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Oh diabetes is so hard...........I don't remember ever having an A1C under 7.9.... Is that really bad though. I know normal is between 4.5 - 8.0 so why not 7.9??? Way better than 12.0 or something!

Normal is actual 4.5 to 6.0 now.
  • BarbaraCarr1981

oh really!!! Didn't know that!
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member

Before getting my pump in August the lowest A1C that I remember having is 11.4. My A1C the day I went live on my pump was 14+. Mine is now down to 8.6, and right now, am so happy about it, but it's a little too late with the conditions that I have. I know of one diabetic that my Drs asked me to talk to one day when I was there in the office. She was 13 and skipping injections and eating whatever she wanted because she didn't want anyone to know she was diabetic. Kinda the same thing I went through as a teen. I told her all of my problems, about my sons heart condition, and how I wish I was her age again and do it all completely different. I told her that diabetes isn't anything to be ashamed of or hide. Having friends and loved ones that are supportive of you makes such a huge difference. Use it as education for those who aren't educated. I don't know if she is going to change because I know that old habits die hard, but I hope that she does think about the things that I told her. I wish someone would have shown me and talked to me more when I was that age. I had just turned 8 when I was diagnosed, and the only one in my Elementary school that had it. I lost friends because they didn't know and thought that you could catch it.
  • kgreenRDLDN

oh really!!! Didn't know that!

Yep they have tightened the reins on what is considered controlled. 4.5 is average around 70-80 and 6.0 is going to be around 110-120 ish.