Is it normal to feel like this after a run?

Options
Hello all,

I did my long run earlier, and I was able to finish it. However, during the run, It felt like I am so heavy and that I need more effort to propel my body forward. Also, after the run, I feel like I was gonna throw up, but I didn't. I have never felt like this on my previous training. By the way, this is my 11th week of training, and I haven't change anything (pre-run food and hydration method).

I would like to know if is it normal to feel like this, or is this a sign that I should take a week off so that my body can recover from 3 months of training before I train again?

Thank you all.

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    it's kind of hard of to say anything intelligent without knowing your weekly schedule, but sometimes, a bad run just happens. It if becomes a trend, then you may have to make some adjustments
  • kntxx
    kntxx Posts: 29
    Options
    it's kind of hard of to say anything intelligent without knowing your weekly schedule, but sometimes, a bad run just happens. It if becomes a trend, then you may have to make some adjustments

I train 3 times a week, every other day. I've been doing the training from Run Less Run Faster. For me, Monday is intervals (~4-5 miles including warm-ups and cooldowns), Wednesdays are tempos (~4 miles including warm-ups and cooldowns), and Saturdays are long runs (5 miles at the moment).
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use the same program, so unless you using too fast of a reference pace, or really going super hard on the cross training, then my guess is that it was an isolated bad run. Maybe it would be helpful to go over what you ate that day, to see if it was food related (wrong food or not enough food). If it continues to happen, then there may something else in play. With the FIRST program, my experience is that sometimes you just can't hit the assigned pace and to make some kind of overly straining effort to do so just undermines the next run. It's important to be patient and let the program come to you, imho.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I threw up after yesterday's 18 miler. But it's kinda normal for me. I puked during my first road marathon 2 years ago. Then last year, I puked after most training runs of 16 miles or longer. It's kinda like a nauseous, motion sickness type thing for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure dehydration plays a role.
  • kntxx
    Options
    I use the same program, so unless you using too fast of a reference pace, or really going super hard on the cross training, then my guess is that it was an isolated bad run. Maybe it would be helpful to go over what you ate that day, to see if it was food related (wrong food or not enough food). If it continues to happen, then there may something else in play. With the FIRST program, my experience is that sometimes you just can't hit the assigned pace and to make some kind of overly straining effort to do so just undermines the next run. It's important to be patient and let the program come to you, imho.

I'm probably just pushing myself too hard this past few weeks, because most of the time, I'm about 5-10 seconds faster than the recommended pace. I'm hoping that's the problem and I just need a good rest, so I can come back strong. Thanks for your reply.
  • kntxx
    Options
    I threw up after yesterday's 18 miler. But it's kinda normal for me. I puked during my first road marathon 2 years ago. Then last year, I puked after most training runs of 16 miles or longer. It's kinda like a nauseous, motion sickness type thing for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure dehydration plays a role.

Oh wow! I really don't like the feeling that you get when you're about to puke, so I'm hoping that this will not happen to me again.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Nausea is standard fare among runners who don't get enough water in their system before hand. However, the heavy sensation could come from hitting the wall. Maybe you've been training a bit too intensely and not fueling enough. I ignore the designated paces for most of my easy runs and start my long runs slow to save energy and keep recovery even between runs as easy as possible. It's important to keep easy runs easy to be able to perform well for intervals, hills, and long runs. But maybe it was just an isolated bad run. Hopefully the next one is better.
    (If you plan on taking a break, maybe just do a week of medium length runs without speed work or a long run).
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Unless you're absolutely killing yourself with hard paces in your runs, i don't think it's an issue with over training if you're only running 15 miles or so a week. I agree that it's an isolated bad run and likely you didn't get enough sleep. Also check your macro and micro nutrients. You could be low on carbs of a couple nutrients.

In my first few months of running, I would have a bad run every week or so. One day I would run 10 KM like it was nothing, rest a day, and come back and not even be able to run 5. It's just the way it is sometimes. Your body is changing and there will be lots of ups and downs. Just keep going and don't let it set you back!