A confession: I stopped. *sobs*

Options
Afura
Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
I have a confession to make, I stopped my Zombies 5k. I could not graduate on to week 4. There's a huge difference between running 30 seconds to 1 minute that I could not break. Sure, I could do it once (1 minute), but after that, no matter how fast or slow I ran, I was out of breath exhausted by the next. I've been working on cardio to help increase endurance, but I honestly haven't tried again in a few weeks because I got so bored running week 3 for the 2nd or 3rd time. Any other suggestions besides keep trying, and doing cardio?

Replies

• mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Confession, I stopped too.. I couldnt get over my insecurities of people who know me seeing me out there trying to learn to run. I live in a VERY small town and everyone knows everyone. I am moving soon so maybe I will try again inthe new place. So your not alone, I didnt make it out of week 3 before I stopped
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I failed miserably at week 4!
    I finally gave it up and moved on anyway.
    I just did the best I could and kept going.
    I finished my 5k training with minimal walks and am happy with my end result.
    No, I didn't run the Entire 5k, but I ran most of it... and 100% more than I was able to run before I started it!

Maybe you could just move on from week 4 and not look at it as a 'must do.'
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to do what a friend suggested (she saw the wall post about the topic :D ), and just do the best I can, and if I can't do the full minute, so be it.
    MD, yeah I can see that being not so much fun, it's why I'm glad about the semi-anonymity of the gym. Peeps don't care. If they did, they'd have been laughing at my side planks a long time ago.
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one that had an issue with week 4 at least. :)
  • jessmarionrai
    jessmarionrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone; I had pushed myself to week 6, then stopped to get my wisdom teeth out. Restarted after a number of weeks with week 3 and made it to week 7 before stopping again for work obligations and stress and whatnot. Just restarted with week 2 after over a month lapse. Hoping to make it to week 8 this time and move onto the full Zombies, Run! app before Christmas.
    It's tough going.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't get through programs like this for whatever reason. I tried C25K once before (on treadmill at a gym) and didn't make it - I just stopped going to the gym entirely.
    It's the same with losing weight, if we all just gave up the first time we tried to lose and went off the rails or gained or had a tough time, most would never lose the weight or learn the best way for them. I have tried to lose weight so many times, I'm back now and optimistic that I am in the right time and right head space of my life to keep going.

@JessMarionRai - I think it's great you keep going back! It will stick eventually, and I think I am going to be open to repeating weeks if I can't make the step up. But I have decided that I will only do it when I try the new mission and can't quite make it, that I won't repeat just if I think I can't.
  • jessmarionrai
    jessmarionrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Qski: I've found that repeating missions from time to time allows me to move onto the next without hurting myself. I always seem to injure myself if I really push through just to get to the next mission. That's how I ended up running my first 5k with gnarly shin splints. It is not recommended.
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Afura: I'm on the 12th day (doing 13th today-- which is Week 4 workout 3), however, I've done 19 runs total. So, I've repeated 7 of the 12 episodes. Once classes began again, I had to switch to only doing the Zombies two days a week instead of 3 and that has been helpful to me-- I move forward with fewer repeats that way. I think everybody is a bit different so for me, the slower training schedule and repeats work. It hasn't been until this last week when I've been able to run continuously for any amount of time and, for the first 2 weeks, I never ran any bit of the free form runs. I just walked, as best as I could, as fast as I could. My body just wasn't ready. I've had plenty of times (even when it was only 15 second runs) where I couldn't complete the run time. And I did plenty of huffing and puffing upon completing those 15, 30 or 60 second spurts (and still do!!!)

The good news (if you enjoy the Zombies story line) is that Dr. Myers will never know (shh!!!) if you walk or run. And getting out to walk, walking faster at some points, and just moving is good for you, right? And that has to be counted as a success and not a failure.

So I encourage you to be positive and celebrate your accomplishments! You'll continue to get stronger!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I stopped for a month and a bit, actually. The reason I stopped was because my knees were just aching all the time. I haven't had that problem resurface again, but I'm not quite sure what I should be doing if it does.
  • RedsknU2
    RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "The good news (if you enjoy the Zombies story line) is that Dr. Myers will never know (shh!!!) if you walk or run. And getting out to walk, walking faster at some points, and just moving is good for you, right? And that has to be counted as a success and not a failure"

Vaugirard15 - What an interesting thought. I ALSO stopped as I have "bone on bone" in my left knee, felt I looked the fool hobbling along, and naturally wondered what the neighbors thought. It honestly NEVER crossed my mind to walk faster, or just do what I could through the walking parts . . . .

Going to try and get back at this tomorrow . . .
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    RedsknU2: Every movement helps, I think! Just enjoy the story and go at your own pace!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I've never done any type of regular exercise or running before, even though I've always wanted to. Even in school I walked more than ran bc that's all i could do. I started the beginning of October and just completed week 2 workout 1 this past Monday. I'm enjoying the story so much so I'm trying very hard to take it easy, do what I can, and make the workouts "my own" so i don't give up and quit. My biggest thing is my lack of endurance - my muscles can run, i just lose all my breath doing it. I know the only way I'm going to make it to the golden 5k is to have patience, do as much as i can each workout, and keep at it.

One big incentive for me is that physically this is the best I've felt in years and I really don't want to lose that :)