slings

Options
tinybry
tinybry Posts: 71 Member
I would be really interested in recommendations from anyone here for a sling. I was given an elderly baby bjorn when I had my daughter 3 years ago and loved it (using it face in for a while and then face out until she was nearly 2 - she is very little not yet 10kg and still in 18 month clothes....)

But I would be really interested in something that works better for feeding this time round and have also read a bit more about potential damage to baby's hips and spine with certain slings or positions so feeling a bit lost now!

any advice or recommendations gratefully received!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bumping. I got a bit of a scare with slings as I was reading on article from the March of Dimes about babies suffocating in them. Curious others experience.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Mobies are good for tiny newborns - they are outgrown by 15lbs though.

Ring slings and mei tais are also good, as are ergos.

Generally bjorns can put bad pressure on the spine because of the narrow seat so wider seated carriers like the ones above will avoid that problem.

The suffocation issues are usually the bag slings like this: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2010/Infantino-Recalls-to-Replace-SlingRider-Baby-Slings-Three-Infant-Deaths-Reported/

Whatever sling looks easiest to you - go for it. They will vary in prices. There are probably babywearing groups near you - check out BWI (baby wearing international) and you can find a group, often they'll let you go to a meeting and try out a bunch plus teach you how to use them :)
  • tinybry
    Options
    Thank you, that's really helpful, I've been feeling rather overwhelmed! I've not come across BWI here in the uk but will do some research and am planning a trip to mothercare next weekend so can take a look at some optuons - living out in the sticks means I rely on internet shopping a bit much which is not right for this purchase!
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I didnt use it until my first was a few months old, but I really liked my moby wrap. It was convenient being able to have him in front or on my hip.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I second everything hbarnstein said. Also, carries with the baby facing out aren't really good for the baby *or* the parent because of the way they encourage baby to lean away from the wearer.

I've had a ring sling that I love ever since my second baby. It's a simple carrier that's good for newborns all the way through toddlers, and is known for being easy for breastfeeding. I've also had a simple, lightly padded mei tai since my fifth baby, which I really like for back carries, though I've also used it for breastfeeding while walking around a store. For this baby, I've bought my first wrap, which is a very versatile carrier that is good for many things, but has a learning curve. I got a woven wrap instead of a stretchy one (Moby is stretchy) because it's still good for heavy babies and can be used for back carries.

Some good brands are Maya Wrap, Moby, Infantino, Little Frog, Didymos. I recommend the Babywearing On A Budget Facebook group - it's a great swap for new and used carriers, lots of knowledgeable and friendly moms, and everything is $100 or less. You can find some really good deals.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Just to add: I decided to buy (after much research but no personal experience yet) the breezebaby http://www.breezebaby.com.au (just realised it's an Australian brand, not sure if it's out in the UK) which really is just a light ring sling suitable for newborns with breathable mesh which suits the really hot weather here. You can also shower with your baby in this sling when he/she has clogged sinuses for example, it says.

We heard so many good reviews on the ergobaby mentioned by hbarnstein that we got that one too, but that's a carrier, not a sling.

Some people freak out and end up not using their sling because it can be a bit fiddly to get used to but people who have persevered have really loved it, I hear :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    There are a million great slings.

The suffocation occurs because of positional asphyxiation, which can also be a hazard if you leave your baby unbuckled in the carseat (ie your baby falls asleep in the car, you bring them inside and set them down, and then unbuckle the harness so they will be more comfortable or something) or if your infant carseat is installed in a too-upright position. The baby slouches into a position where the chin touches the chest and cuts off breathing - like a kink in a hose. You can avoid this by not carrying your baby in any sling where it's sort of "duffel bag" hold... it can happen in a deep pouch sling, or in a "bag" sling. I believe Infantino and Boppy made them and they should have been recalled. If you are concerned about suffocation, though, I'd say there's far more risk in a carseat since you are not holding the baby right up against your body and less likely to notice that your baby has stopped breathing.

A ring sling is safe and very adjustable, but only one shoulder. Not a great choice for your back if you'll wear the baby for hours at a time, but wonderful if you want something easy for quick trips. My absolute favorite sling. I've been using my ring slings for about 7 years and I recall there being a bit of a learning curve.

I like a mei tai or soft structured carrier like the Ergo or Beco for longer trips.

Wraps... the stretchy wrap like the moby is very popular for newborns but because it stretches it will sag as the baby gets heavier, and need constant readjustment. Woven wraps are awesome but you have to be pretty motivated to learn wrapping technique.
  • superhelga
    superhelga Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would start with a moby when the baby is tiny and then get a sling or a woven non stretchy wrap as the baby grows. With a wrap you have more control with a newborn and they are great for nursing. I found the moby easier to use when I first started, because it was stretchy. Once I had the hang of the different ways of wrapping and felt pretty comfortable with getting the baby in and out I switched to a woven wrap. Post on facebook for a used wrap or whatever you want, or check Craigslist/ ebay. I got so many different used carriers handed down, I got to try a bunch of them. The sling was great once the baby was old enough to hold his neck, but I never found it comfortable for long walks. The Ergo is also a great investment and can be used a million ways. I still occasionally use an ergo for my 2 year old.
  • tinybry
    Options
    Thanks everyone, lots of really useful info :) I will have a look around at what is available in the UK (including second hand) and see what I can sort out :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Great info here on safety and proper positioning:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowTo/Positioning.pdf
  • LuluA85
    LuluA85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've just bought a Beco Soleil and LOVE it!

It's one that keeps the baby's legs in the M position that's supposed to be best for little hips. It's got buckles like a Baby Bjorn, so no long tails to drop in puddles in the car park when you're putting it on. It's great for feeding in too and lasts from newborn to 2/3 years and can go on your back once they get too heavy to heave about on your front. I also like that with this model you can cross the straps over on your back when you're doing a front carry as this takes a lot of weight off your shoulders.

Other brands of similar carriers (called Soft Structured Carriers SSC's) are Tula, Manduca, Boba. I got mine from GreenMums.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Loved my moby, hated how involved it was to get on and off though and never could figure out how to feed in it. I've heard great things about a K'tan carriers though, similar material just less of it and easier to get on and off. The person that made me use my moby has now switched to that for their 2nd little one. Have tried several different carriers (I have 6 now?) and I can say once baby was big enough to go into it the Ergo has been my best friend. I have a toddler to chase and this has made my life so much easier. She sleeps in it. 2 buckles, that's it! It's not 15' long! I would highly recommend it. I know you can buy an infant insert, but I'm not sure about it as I didn't use it. I have a simple sling from 7slings.com (I think that's the name). It's alright. I liked to have it in the car when she was small to throw on, get out, do something, and get back in instead of the moby. Best of luck.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love babywearing. Mobys are really only good for very tiny babies. I also have an ergo that I still use for my 2-year-old and love, and I have a ring sling which is slightly less comfy than the Ergo but very fast to get on and off, plus it's made of a quick drying fabric so I use it when swimming. The carriers that were suffocating babies seemed to be a particular kind, iirc, that has been recalled.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I have a Mothercare 4 Way Vibrating Carrier and have used it with four kids so far, with another going in it soon. This was my fourth different sling and the one I feel my kids have been most comfortable in. With practice it is easy enough to get a small child in quickly and is totally adjustable. I use it when shopping, bussing it and even doing the housework when baby won't be put down. It is not so good for the larger child though and I would go for a back carrier for the 'just crawling/walking' to 'active toddler' stage.