Getting healthy before IVF (PCOS)

Options
Oh the joys of infertility (sarcasm at its strongest)! My name is Nikki and I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago after ttc with no success for 2 years following a mc due to low progesterone. I was on metformin for about 6 months and could not handle the side effects i had from it. Attempted 3 un monitored cycles of clomid with my gyno... No success. In 2009 i found an amazing RE but was a little taken back by all of the info he gave me and didnt take any steps to do anything. I finally decided in Feb this year to go ahead and see what he suggests! I had a hsg and hysteroscopy done in march and thankfully nothing was found wrong with my tubes or uterus! Only this awful pesky disorder a lot of us have unfortuinately been given to deal with.

My cycles are about as crazy as they get. For 6 months ill be like clock work... 30 day cycle and ovulating (most cycles) on cd 17-19. Then ill skip a month or 2 without af and have anovulatory cycles that come whenever theyre ready for about 6 months after. FRUSTRATING!!! I know im lucky to be ovulating at all but with my husbands job (gone 30 days and home 15) he's only home during O (when it happens) a couple times a year. So... We have decided on IVF in march 2014! I want to be as healthy as i possibly can before to increase our chance for success. Since joining myfitnesspal, i have noticed a HUGE change in symptoms ie:hair growing in places it shouldnt on a female, acne, and anovulation. I have been more conscious about what i am putting into my body besides a few days but noticed that cutting out the yucky carbs and sugars has helped all 3 of the previously listed symptoms.

Now that ive bored you guys with all that mess, i am hoping to find others to help keep me motivated and to motivate others on any area of our journey!

Replies

• pearljam1997
    pearljam1997 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello. While I don't suffer from pcos we do have mfi after a failed reversal. We're currently on the waiting list for ivf w/icsi and should be cycling this december. Infertility sucks so bad!! We do have two boys who are teens already! and are hoping to add just one more. I know you posted this a few weeks ago but I hope you're still on and looking for some support. I'd love to follow along and possibly lose some pounds with someone who get how much infertility sucks.
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    Hello. While I don't suffer from pcos we do have mfi after a failed reversal. We're currently on the waiting list for ivf w/icsi and should be cycling this december. Infertility sucks so bad!! We do have two boys who are teens already! and are hoping to add just one more. I know you posted this a few weeks ago but I hope you're still on and looking for some support. I'd love to follow along and possibly lose some pounds with someone who get how much infertility sucks.

Hey! Yes maam..... All fertility sucks, no matter what the cause. It is so unfortunate that so many of us have to experience such a horrible thing. December?!?!?!?! How exciting! :) We need all the support we can get! Its nice to have it from others that know what you are going through! Looking forward to us motivating and supporting each other on our journey!!!
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    I would really like to edit the mame of this topic but it is no possible. Would like to delete the PCOS part of it. I want everybody to feel comfortable posting here and joining the discussion for support!
  • pearljam1997
    Options
    If they read our posts they'll know they can join in. While I don't hope for more to join us, hate meeting other who have IF but would love to have more people to talk with, lol.

Yes it looks like Dec will be it for us. I'm hoping for sooner since I'm so freaking nervous about it but at the same time I could use the weeks to lose some weight!!!
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    If they read our posts they'll know they can join in. While I don't hope for more to join us, hate meeting other who have IF but would love to have more people to talk with, lol.

Yes it looks like Dec will be it for us. I'm hoping for sooner since I'm so freaking nervous about it but at the same time I could use the weeks to lose some weight!!!

I know whatcha mean! Im nervous at the thought of IVF and my anxiety only makes it worse! Lol! It'll be here before u know it!!! :) use these weeks wisely but dont be hard on urself! Uve got this maam!!!
  • pearljam1997
    Options
    Thanks!!! I had lost 16 pounds but then quit smoking and put 12 back on. While it felt bad to weigh that much again I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I feel so much healthier then before. SO glad I kicked that nasty habit to the road!!!!

I've also been doing acupuncture to help with the anxiety and my adhd, makes for a fun combo, lol. Love it so far. I do have WAY more weight to lose then the 23.8 that my ticker shows. I set a low goal that I would like to see before we cycle but who knows how close I'll actually get to that number.
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    Thanks!!! I had lost 16 pounds but then quit smoking and put 12 back on. While it felt bad to weigh that much again I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I feel so much healthier then before. SO glad I kicked that nasty habit to the road!!!!

I've also been doing acupuncture to help with the anxiety and my adhd, makes for a fun combo, lol. Love it so far. I do have WAY more weight to lose then the 23.8 that my ticker shows. I set a low goal that I would like to see before we cycle but who knows how close I'll actually get to that number.

Im wanting to stop smoking but terrified of the possible withdrawls. I start thinking too dang much about the what ifs and never do it. Even though ive seen what itll do in the long run. Ive thought about accupuncture for my anxiety but wasnt sure if it really works or not. How effective is it really? Im not one to take meds.... Thise things are not for me. Make me feel crazier that i already am lol! I just deal with it when it comes and go about my business. Gets old though! When u stopped smoking, did ur anxiety increase? Sry for all the off the topic questions but im really wanting to attempt this soon and want to be prepared. Lol
  • pearljam1997
    Options
    Hey ask away.

Because I was on Champix and it acts like an antidepressant my anxiety was actually lower when I quit but it did start to creep up again after a few weeks. I can safely say that since starting acupuncture my anxiety has gone down again and I also started taking a supplement for it, called Veeva, I highly recommend it. Its a bit pricey but is working well for me. Also quitting is SO very scary and just like you that is why it took me so long to actually quit. That and couples with moving forward with IVF. I didn't want to be the sole reason it didn't work. I also couldn't imagine myself being pregnant and a smoker again after the years of infertility we've been through now.

But yes, the first week is considered hell week and then after that your body is done with the physical aspect of it but then the mental kicks in. Which can be harder at times then the physical. Just have a good support team in place, lots of deep breathing. I also joined an online quit smoking group, it keeps track of all the smokes I haven't had, the money I haven't spent and how many day/hours/minutes I've added to my life. It definitely helps.

I started smoking as a young teen because I was living with ADHD but hadn't been diagnosed, had a ****ty home life with a mom who suffered a nervous breakdown and a dad who was an alcoholic, it just fit back then you know. So I'm having to relearn how to live my life with ADHD and no "crutch". I can say though that I don't miss it, not one bit. Those stressful days when I think that I want one I remind myself how good I feel. I no longer wheeze and don't need my inhaler. Yes at the age of 32 I needed those things from my smoking. I can go up and down the stairs without a problem, even jog a bit again.

Also when I quit I told myself that picking it up again was just not an option. I want to grow old with my husband, I want to see my grandchildren. Just keep reminding yourself of the positives, even if you don't feel positive, do it. I smoked for 17 years, almost a pack a day in the end. Good luck to you!!! And keep me posted.
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    Hey ask away.

Because I was on Champix and it acts like an antidepressant my anxiety was actually lower when I quit but it did start to creep up again after a few weeks. I can safely say that since starting acupuncture my anxiety has gone down again and I also started taking a supplement for it, called Veeva, I highly recommend it. Its a bit pricey but is working well for me. Also quitting is SO very scary and just like you that is why it took me so long to actually quit. That and couples with moving forward with IVF. I didn't want to be the sole reason it didn't work. I also couldn't imagine myself being pregnant and a smoker again after the years of infertility we've been through now.

But yes, the first week is considered hell week and then after that your body is done with the physical aspect of it but then the mental kicks in. Which can be harder at times then the physical. Just have a good support team in place, lots of deep breathing. I also joined an online quit smoking group, it keeps track of all the smokes I haven't had, the money I haven't spent and how many day/hours/minutes I've added to my life. It definitely helps.

I started smoking as a young teen because I was living with ADHD but hadn't been diagnosed, had a ****ty home life with a mom who suffered a nervous breakdown and a dad who was an alcoholic, it just fit back then you know. So I'm having to relearn how to live my life with ADHD and no "crutch". I can say though that I don't miss it, not one bit. Those stressful days when I think that I want one I remind myself how good I feel. I no longer wheeze and don't need my inhaler. Yes at the age of 32 I needed those things from my smoking. I can go up and down the stairs without a problem, even jog a bit again.

Also when I quit I told myself that picking it up again was just not an option. I want to grow old with my husband, I want to see my grandchildren. Just keep reminding yourself of the positives, even if you don't feel positive, do it. I smoked for 17 years, almost a pack a day in the end. Good luck to you!!! And keep me posted.

Almost through my HELL WEEK! It really hasnt been near as bad as i thought it was gonna be! Having my hubby home helps out a lot.... Hopefully things are still smooth sailing when he goes back to work. And i have noticed a HUGE difference in my anxiety levels since quitting. Almost cut in half! I have been looking in the area for a good accupuncturist (sp?) and have come down to a couple that i think im gonna look into more! I totally understand the childhood stuff.... Im right there with ya girl! Sorry i havent had time to keep up on my posts.... The hubbs keeps me running arounblike crazy the entire time he's home, i almost dont have the time to think! Lol!
  • pearljam1997
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!! Quitting is a difficult thing to do but once you get through the real ****ty part it starts to rock!! I love being able to tell people I quit 3 months ago!!! I'm also able to run again, which I haven't done in a very long time. Feels so good to hit the pavement again.

I'm freaking out here. I've been off the beaten path and since we have our dates I'm freaking out even more. Have I even mentioned we got our IVF schedule???? I start BCP's with my cd1 around mid Nov, stims start around Dec.30 with retrieval tentatively set for Jan.12!!!!!!!

If you had the money to spend on a diet that would allow you to ditch 20 pounds with ease in a matter of 8 weeks would you do it? I'll cost around a grand to do but I've done it before in the past and its worked. I've been mulling it over for a while now. I just don't know if I can be pregnant at this weight.