Protein Powder

Options
TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
Does anyone have a good recommendation for protein powder?

Right now I'm using EAS, but it has soy and sucralose in it (two ingredients I'm trying to avoid). I'm looking for something soy, gluten, and artificial sweetener-free. I know I could do egg protein powder, but I've always heard that whey is best. (I'm willing to bend on the soy thing if it's just an additive). Best I can find is SDC Nutrition About Time.

Thanks, ladies!

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I use AllMax IsoNatural. It doesn't contain soy and uses stevia as the sweetener. It's a little more expensive but it's cold filtered processed not with high heat and harsh chemicals which can denature the whey. My personal trainer is a rep for 1st Phorm and their powder is made the same way. He's glad I picked the one I did.

TrueNutrition.com though allows you to pick your protein source and blend your own custom powder. I bought some and like it a lot. You can even add digestive enzymes and/or electrolytes, they have lots of options.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I use Whey Perfection from Body & Fit, it's a Dutch company / brand so I don't know whether that is of use for all you US folk :smile:
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to try Klean Isolate from Klean Athlete. It has 20 grams of protein with just 85 calories and no wheat, artificial sweeteners or fillers. Plus the serving size is just 22 grams. I was pointed in that direction from a doctor friend of mine that invented the Bodycustom line. I can't use Bodycustom because of my wheat allergy. I'm excited to try the Klean athlete because I can flavor it to my taste, or use it in recipes without having the flavor overpower what I'm cooking.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I really like Trutein from bodybuilding.com. The aftertaste doesn't make me want to hurl like some of the other powders I have chosen. Its a blend of egg, whey, and casein proteins and the chocolate peanut butter cup flavor has 25g protein per serving (125 calories).
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Just ordered whey from Truenutrition.com.

Because of the protein conentration s. the fillers in my current powder...the price works out to be the same for a better product. Thank you!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just ordered whey from Truenutrition.com.

Because of the protein conentration s. the fillers in my current powder...the price works out to be the same for a better product. Thank you!

I found the price very reasonable as well. I like the fact you can add digestive enzymes and pick everything from your protein including grass fed whey to the flavor, sweetener, etc. :drinker:

By the way, I heard about that over on bodybuilding.com, seems it's getting pretty popular with many of the ladies there.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really like Trutein from bodybuilding.com. The aftertaste doesn't make me want to hurl like some of the other powders I have chosen. Its a blend of egg, whey, and casein proteins and the chocolate peanut butter cup flavor has 25g protein per serving (125 calories).

Ooooh, I've had my eyes on the chocolate peanut butter cup flavor! I know this is a silly question, but do you find it to taste really salty?

Before this thread was started, I just ended up ordering 2lb tubs of the #1 & #2 of the top 50 protein powders on bodybuilding.com. I went with Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey in Mocha Cappuccino (freaking deLISH when mixed with cooled coffee) and MusclePharm Combat Powder in Chocolate Peanut Butter (WAY too salty- giving it to my brother!).

As I eat mostly paleo-ish, I would prefer to go with a protein powder like the ones you can create from Truenutrition- that's pretty cool! But, I am open to trying anything once. And I'm a huge sucker for PB&Chocolate anything. :) I am getting some nasty tummy aches from both of the ones I purchased though, so I will def keep searching!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    As I eat mostly paleo-ish, I would prefer to go with a protein powder like the ones you can create from Truenutrition- that's pretty cool! But, I am open to trying anything once. And I'm a huge sucker for PB&Chocolate anything. :) I am getting some nasty tummy aches from both of the ones I purchased though, so I will def keep searching!

I do paleo but add dairy because of the awesome protein benefits and it doesn't seem to bother my system. I do a couple of things with protein powder and I'm hoping that the whey I'm getting (plain, unsweetened) will still work. One is to add to greek yogurt with cocoa powder and almond butter. So, so good and a TON of protein.

ETA: I do paleo because I'm insulin resistant and it seems to help control things...not that you guys expect/need an explanation LOL
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use optimum nutrition gold standard protein, its 100% whey isolates, from milk i believe. Milk proteins are supposed to be the best, thats what i've heard? anyhow, i get the french vanilla and love it! its low cal for the amt of protein grams i 110 cal for 24g. GNC sells it , or i think bodybuilding.com also sells it.