T2B - How to accomplish?

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
Our WOD today has roughly 40 of these. I have a hard time even getting my hands to grip for very long, much less to swing my legs to bring my feet up to the bar.

What would be a good scale for this? Sit ups?

Also, what can I do to help strengthen my grip to be able to hold out....outside of losing weight, which I am working on.

Replies

• Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I usually do knees to elbows but I guess that doesn't help much with the grip issue. If you can squeeze out sets of 5 - 10 that wouldn't be too bad for time.
  • Dmkolls
    Options
    I usually do knees to elbows but I guess that doesn't help much with the grip issue. If you can squeeze out sets of 5 - 10 that wouldn't be too bad for time.

I would LOVE to be able to do knees to elbows. About all I can do now is knees to hip level and only 1-2 before my grip gives up.

Would lifting gloves help my grip?
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Gloves actually make my hands tear more for pullups or T2B, I think because its another layer that's rubbing against my skin causing my hands to rip because the moisture gets in there when you start sweating, whereas just using chalk keeps your bare hands dry. I would suggest working on your grip strength either practice just hanging on the bar or doing farmer's carries.

For today's workout one of the other scaling options my gym uses is v ups on the floor for those who are still working on knees to elbow.To perform an abdominal V-Up, lie down on your back on the floor and , keep your legs straight and lift them up, and at the same time raise your upper body off of the floor and reach for your toes with your hands. This will help in building your abdominal strength for when you're ready to do them on the bar.
  • Dmkolls
    Options
    Gloves actually make my hands tear more for pullups or T2B, I think because its another layer that's rubbing against my skin causing my hands to rip because the moisture gets in there when you start sweating, whereas just using chalk keeps your bare hands dry. I would suggest working on your grip strength either practice just hanging on the bar or doing farmer's carries.

For today's workout one of the other scaling options my gym uses is v ups on the floor for those who are still working on knees to elbow.To perform an abdominal V-Up, lie down on your back on the floor and , keep your legs straight and lift them up, and at the same time raise your upper body off of the floor and reach for your toes with your hands. This will help in building your abdominal strength for when you're ready to do them on the bar.

This is a great option! Thanks!

I'll google Farmer's Carries. I really need to work on my grip badly if I ever want to accomplish anything bar related.
  • DaddyM1
    DaddyM1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My WOD last night included 60 T2B. I'm brand new and would have trouble with this anyway, but I'm also dealing with certain injuries that would make hanging an issue.

Instead I scaled back by lying on the floor and holding on to something behind me (a barbell, wall ledge, squat rack, whatever). Then perform the same movement you expect from T2B, but while lying down.

It works you out the same more or less. You are engaging the same muscles with the same range of movement. But it minimizes grip issues.

Try it.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My WOD last night included 60 T2B. I'm brand new and would have trouble with this anyway, but I'm also dealing with certain injuries that would make hanging an issue.

Instead I scaled back by lying on the floor and holding on to something behind me (a barbell, wall ledge, squat rack, whatever). Then perform the same movement you expect from T2B, but while lying down.

It works you out the same more or less. You are engaging the same muscles with the same range of movement. But it minimizes grip issues.

Try it.

^this. Our coaches usually suggest doing them hanging for as long as your grip can handle it (in order to strengthen your grip) and then go to the laying version if needed.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do hanging knee raises, and before I could manage that I would just hang on the bar after the WOD for as long as I could stand it to build up grip strength.

And hate to be repetitive, but this yet another thing that will get easier as you lose weight.

Try to do as many hanging knee raises as you can, then go to sit ups.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Our coach scales T2B in the following progression...

1. Sit-ups (weighted or not is athlete's choice)
    2. Weighted V-Ups
    3. Toes-2-Post (Lie on back near a rig's vertical post. Put your head near the post. Reach over your head and grab the post, so your thumbs are between your skull and the post - for protection. Keep your legs together/straight and raise them up, lifting your hips as well until your toes touch the post. Recover. Repeat.) Be careful on the negative side of the movement, don't go too slow downward.
    4. Hanging Knee Lifts
    5. Knee-2-Elbow
    6. Toes-2-Bar

The only gloves I would recommend (the games elite wear these) are UnderArmor Clean Up IV batting gloves ($25 @ D!CKS). I have a pair and they are great for when your hands are tender or you are doing a lot of bar work. Other than that, use LIGHT chalk when doing bar work or you will definitely tear your hands. Chalk is meant to remove moisture so when you cake it on you risk over drying your hands and that's what causes the friction on the bar that rips your skin.

As for strengthening your hang grip you really just have to spend time on the bar. You don't need to necessarily 'do' anything. Just spend time trying to lengthen how long you can hang without dropping off it. Until you drop weight this is a great way to increase your grip and toughen up your hands with calluses. As you progress you can try just doing a small swing or even begin to work on your kipping swing.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I haven't read thru the other comments yet so I apologize if I reiterate anything someone already said.

Knee raises (as high as you can, doesn't have to be K2E) are the sub Id recommend. Your grip will get used to it. You just need to break it up into smaller sets so your hands can handle it. Also try gripping more with your fingers so the bar doesn't smush any callouses (if that makes sense).
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How has your progression come along?

yeah, you. :)

did you finally get it down?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I second the farmers carries. I'd also say start hanging in the bar after every class. Five times for as long as you can with your lats engaged (so pull your body up with your shoulders as much as you can.)

That will build your forearm grip strength.

Also, as you get in better shape and lose weight that will make it easier too. At least I hope it does :)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hanging knee raises definitely helped me. I can also see a difference now in how high I can get my knees.

I've also done an exercise on an incline bench where I lay back on it, grip the bench behind my head and then try to get knees to elbows. It's a bit harder than lying flat on the floor.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    V-ups are a good sub for TTB as well.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Spend time hanging from bar/working on kip
    Knees to chest/elbows

I did the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge (found on Tnation.com) and my grip strength improved greatly while I was getting a killer cardio workout.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Our WOD today has roughly 40 of these. I have a hard time even getting my hands to grip for very long, much less to swing my legs to bring my feet up to the bar.

What would be a good scale for this? Sit ups?

Also, what can I do to help strengthen my grip to be able to hold out....outside of losing weight, which I am working on.

Our scales are knees to elbow and then knee raises. I can almost get knees to elbow.

Good suggestion about just spending more time hanging from the bar. For me that is factor #1, factor # 2 is losing weight. The more weight I lose, the longer I can hang on the bar and the less my belly is in the way of getting my toes to the bar.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The more weight I lose, the longer I can hang on the bar and the less my belly is in the way of getting my toes to the bar.

Someone said it! Haha

I said this to my coach a few days ago - I feel like there is too much flesh in the way. I notice it when I cycle too, the top of my thigh hits my gut, especially if I'm in the dropped handlebars.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Some more encouragement to improve grip strength.

Our WOD Wednesday was the following:

7m AMRAP

4 Hang Power Cleans (155rx, I did 135)
    5 Pull ups (I did ring rows)
    6 clapping push ups (I did hand release.)

7m rest

repeat.

The goal was to do the same number of rounds both times. I did 5 rounds +4 cleans first and 4 rounds +1 cleans the second time. The ONLY reason I couldn't get back to five rounds+ was that my grip disappeared during that final round 4. I did the first hang clean and on the second the bar just fell out of my hands. I couldn't grab it any more.

So getting your grip strength up is going to help you across the board in ways you can't even realize. Do some hanging from the bar. Grab a 2pd kb in each hand and walk the length of the gym. Put them down, reverse directions, repeat. Do it until your grip gives out. Rest, then do one more.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Our progression is wall tappers, then hanging knee raises, then knees to elbow, then TTB. I actually have a much easier time with TTB than K2E so I kind of skipped K2E. I finished my first Rx high rep TTB Wod in the last couple of weeks. I was eeking out doubles and singles by the end. I progressively went from as many TTB as I could do in a wod to hanging knee raises, til finally finishing with wall tappers. Eventually I got rid of wall tappers and then finally hanging knee raises. Took 8 months.