3 weeks sleeved

Options
Hi all my name is Tami and I had the vertical sleeve done on Sept. 24, 2013. I have been doing good, I have lost a total of 25lbs so far! Best decision I have made, looking for support and recipes. I'm not good at eating 3 meals a day so any and all recommendations are great. I have trouble with protein shakes and powder due to a quick gag reflex but have found the atkins protein shakes I can tolerate so any advice on shakes would be appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the losers' bench! I had trouble with protein shakes immediately after surgery. Chicken broth went down much better. I was also able to tolerate Isopure better than shakes. Jello and Vitamin water also helped me get in my liquids. My nut told me many patients can't meet their protein requirements for a while but it's important to get in all of your liquids.
    Hope you continue to feel good!
  • losinit4evermore
    losinit4evermore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Tami: I'm Kay and was sleeved on Sept 9. Things are going well for me too. I had difficulty at first with getting enough of anything, but by about the 4th week most everything was ok. I agree with the chicken broth. I found refried beans with just a bit of cheese worked for me. Add me as a friend if you would like and we can support each other on our journey.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do the shakes at first either, but my doctor's office store had protein infused chicken and beef broth that was wonderful! They also carry Syntrax Nectar in various flavors, and I found those shakes to be easiest to drink. Even now 2+ years out, I still occasionally drink those shakes. Good luck in your journey. Like you, I know this is the best thing I ever did for myself.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I find that the Syntrex Nectar lemon tea or other water mix flavors go down easier post surgery than the milky ones. Just mix it in my 24oz Tervis cup and suck on it all day. Get one down between breakfast and lunch and another in the afternoon. Water+protein is a win-win! Add what little protein food portions I can consume and whatever other water/liquid I get at the end of the day an I always hit water/protein targets!
  • spooky228
    Options
    I like a soft scrambled egg with a tablespoon or two of low fat shredded cheddar cheese. I to did the low fat refried pinto beans
    and cheese. Cottage cheese and applesauce goes down easy too. Good Luck!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Curious about the refriend beans. Docotor's office cautioned me away from gassy foods, I would have thought any type of bean would be verbotten so early on but it seems to be a popular choice. I'm 5 weeks out and have tolrated everything well - up to chicken cutlets (or should I say cutlet) but have not tried any bean.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm just over two weeks out and pureeing black beans. They really don't seem to be causing more gas, surprisingly. I've also been eating pureed homemade chili that has both black and pinto beans. For me, beans have been doing something that other foods are not. That is filling me up very quickly. I can only eat like a tablespoon or so of pureed beans and not much more of the chili. It sits kind of heavy in my tummy, too, but they are a great option, I think because they are full of fiber, protein, low fat, and since they are calorie dense it is good that I can only eat a small amount compared to the other things I am eating.

I've been able to tolerate everything, too, so far. It's all been pureed, but been doing fine.
  • favor030969
    favor030969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use and REALLY love Jay Robb Egg White Protein. And Unjury makes a chicken soup flavored protein powder which I really enjoyed during my first weeks following surgery.
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had a terrible time transitioning to "real" food - even now, I can't eat chicken. The great advice here helped a lot. Cottage cheese works well and I found if I blend it into protein shakes, they go down easily. I tried a few different brands, but Unjury is the one that mixes the smoothest for me. I also got some of the Syntex Fuzzy Navel and that's really good too. I think the key is to keep protein moist and chew chew chew. String cheese also worked for me, but I could only get 1/4 of a stick in at 3 weeks. Listen to your body, it will let you know when it's happy with what you are putting into it.
    Sending you friend request - I was sleeved on 9/6 and like you, best thing I ever did for myself.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tami - welcome! You'll find great ideas on here and support from fellow WLS folks.

I liked the Atkins shakes too, but they are a bit higher in sugar than I wanted. I really like the Syntrax flavors... mint chocolate cookie is delish! I like flavored coffees so I start with coffee, add a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk to cool it just a bit, then stir in a scoop of the protein powder. Mixes beautifully and tastes yummy!

Also, get yourself a good blender - like a little magic Bullet. You can make DELISH shakes in those with a bit of skim milk, your protein powder, some ice, maybe a bit of cottage cheese - some people add some guar gum to thicken it all even more although I haven't tried that yet. But a nice, cold, icey shake goes down pretty easily and can be doctored up to your liking.

Quest protein bars are good, too. Some great flavors (chocolate chip cookie dough! yum!) and 20g of protein, 17g of fiber (an important element if you haven't already found that out!), and a minimal amount of crap in them... pretty chemical/preservative free.

Good luck and yes, you will love this new way of life!