New to the 3DS

Options
So, my awesome wife bought me a 3DS, and I'm looking for some quality games. Does anyone have any that they'd recommend?

Also, what kinds of other fun stuff is there to do with it that everyone likes to do? I've had it for a few months and I'm finally devoting some quality time to it (work/life/etc. gets in the way of my gaming addiction sometimes), but I'm still a total DS noob.

Replies

• monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a dork, I get a kick out of the streetpass feature - I think it's interesting to see how many different people you can pick up with it, or how many times you may find the same Mii (check out the Mii Plaza for this!). As for GAMES, I'm a hard core Zelda fan, so Ocarina of Time 3D is totally a must. I also love Mario, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox 64. I also have a guilty pleasure right now, usually gets my husband to shake his head and sigh - Animal Crossing New Leaf XD. Freaking addictive and I don't know why!
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Zelda is definatly good. Also Chrono Trigger (if you are into RPGs)- its not 3D but the 3D sometimes makes me sick (you can turn it off).

Animal Crossing New Leaf is totally addictive!!!!! :happy:

Resident Evil Revelations was amazing!!!!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would highly suggest taking your 3DS with you everywhere so you can get streetpass hits. That will let you complete puzzles and get new hats for your miis. There are also 4 Streetpass Plaza games you can purchase which also incorporate the streetpass hits.

As for actual games, I spent several weeks trying to get 3 stars on all the circuits in Mario Kart 7. I'm currently working my way through Super Mario 3D Land, it's a lot of fun. Both of those use the 3D features to great effect, but it's not necessary (I keep mine off unless I'm watching a cut scene).

I haven't played too many 3DS-only games, I've been playing a bunch of DS games (Mario vs Donkey Kong series) and I bought some Gameboy games from the eshop.
  • Sunnystylegrl
    Sunnystylegrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The new animal crossing game is way too addictive lol. I love it!
  • madpaddyjack
    madpaddyjack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
  • rosie_dibrell
    rosie_dibrell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love my 3DS and I am totally addicted to Animal Crossing New Leaf. I play it everyday and I have 3 towns and 2 systems.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is my first 3DS, I got an XL. I love it! I cannot figure out how to work Streetpass though... so if someone would like to explain, that'd be pretty decent. :flowerforyou:

As of right now, I have Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem, Pokemon Y and am going to pick up Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which I am way too excited for, by the way). My bf loves Fire Emblem, I have only seen a bit of it. Pokemon Y is awesome, of course.

SM 3D Land is good, the 3D is fantastic and really solidifies my love for the 3DS. There is no story so I don't feel like it was worth the price of a $40 new game - but it is Mario and there is obviously some reason I paid full price for it. Love me some old school Mario. 64 was still my favorite, I probably played that 15x over as a pre-teen. :ohwell:
  • d0gma
    Options
    This is my first 3DS, I got an XL. I love it! I cannot figure out how to work Streetpass though... so if someone would like to explain, that'd be pretty decent. :flowerforyou:

SM 3D Land is good, the 3D is fantastic and really solidifies my love for the 3DS. There is no story so I don't feel like it was worth the price of a $40 new game - but it is Mario and there is obviously some reason I paid full price for it. Love me some old school Mario. 64 was still my favorite, I probably played that 15x over as a pre-teen. :ohwell:

What do you mean you don't know how to work Streetpass? When you get within 30 meters of someone else who is carrying a 3DS, the systems should connect and when you open your Streetpass Plaza, their Mii character will be on your system. From there you can go to Find Mii or Puzzle Swap and you'll be able to use their character in those mini-games.

I have beaten SM 3D Land (5 stars!) and didn't realize until now that there was no story.
  • jaimrlx
    Options

What do you mean you don't know how to work Streetpass? When you get within 30 meters of someone else who is carrying a 3DS, the systems should connect and when you open your Streetpass Plaza, their Mii character will be on your system. From there you can go to Find Mii or Puzzle Swap and you'll be able to use their character in those mini-games.

I have beaten SM 3D Land (5 stars!) and didn't realize until now that there was no story.

I mean that I have it set on, all the settings for Streetpass are turned on but it doesn't work. I go to work where there are at least 7 other DS'ers and it won't pick up on a single one. What am I missing here?

Haha, yeah. I got halfway through (still playing) and was like 'this game is awesome!'.. but there is no story and that is sad for me. Still a success to make such a great game with no story, IMO.
  • d0gma
    Options
    I mean that I have it set on, all the settings for Streetpass are turned on but it doesn't work. I go to work where there are at least 7 other DS'ers and it won't pick up on a single one. What am I missing here?

When you are on the main screen, does it show in the upper lefthand corner that streetpass is turned on?
  • jaimrlx
    Options

When you are on the main screen, does it show in the upper lefthand corner that streetpass is turned on?

Yes! But I called a co-worker to come over and explain it to me a little better. I think I had it set up right but for some reason it wasn't finding others. He called out that it also wasn't counting my steps. Touche.

He basically reset everything and what not, we'll try it tomorrow when he brings his in. :3
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Fire Emblem Awakening is amazing, Pokemon X and Y just came out which are equally amazing. Animal Crossing is cute and addicting. The online store has quite a few classic games available like Zelda oracle of Ages/Seasons.