How do overweight people wear their pumps?

Options
So I was just diagnosed in May. I'm doing my own injections at the moment, but have been doing a lot of research online about the different pumps, changing sites, how to wear them with different clothes, etc. But what I haven't found is advise from people who are plus size. All of the youtube videos are of skinny-ish people, without rolls on their stomachs, etc. I'm just wanting an honest, upfront answer. Also, are there any complications since some of us have more fat in the areas we would have our pumps/cgms?

Replies

• tknuzum1984
    Options
    I was curious about this also. I looked into an Omni pump and they send out a dummy pump, for you to wear (non functioning) to see if its something that would work.

As for others, I think it would just be a case of setting it to where you can get it to your input place (sorry not sure the correct lingo) and go from there. Am interested in what others say though. I am doing research on this topic also.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've been pumping for over 15 years and wore a pump when obese. I have used both Medtronic and Animas pumps. I would use the infusion sets that had a deeper cannula. The skinny peeps just use the shorter ones. I have always put the sets in my abdomen area. No problems what-so-ever.
  • bikaga
    bikaga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started the pump 2 months ago, haven't had a problem with the sites on my stomach... I try and avoid the places below the belly-button where I used to inject just to give them a rest and also because some flattening trousers would have the seams right on top of it and that wouldn't be comfy, but other than that, no problem!
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite end, severely underweight, and still have issues with sites. I don't have enough fat on my arms and legs to have a site along with severe scar tissue from all the years injecting, so have to use my sides and back. However a friend of mine that is slightly obese is also on the T:Slim pump that I have and she doesn't have any issues. She uses a larger canula (mine is 6mm and her's I believe is a 9mm canula, but don't quote me on it). She also uses longer tubing than I do. I use 24" tubing, and it makes it easier for her to place her sites on her legs and arms. The big key is to place the sites where they won't get irritated, such as right on trouser lines or where they could easily get caught on something (unless you go with the Omni, then I am not sure I don't know anyone personally on an Omnipod.) In any case really look into getting a pump, you will be amazed at how free you feel (even being hooked to a tube all the time) and being able to tweek your doses at various times of the day really helps with your control. You can't lower your long acting at certain times of the day (like I have my basal rate lowered for 3 hours while I'm sleeping) and if you are low you can unhook it so that you are not using the insulin while you are trying to correct being low.

Jenn