5x5 + Running

Options
decblessings
decblessings Posts: 113 Member
Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this group. I am in my third week of Stronglifts. I have a question about incorporating running into the mix.

I've been doing free weights for 2-3 months, although not on any sort of strict schedule until 3 weeks ago. I've also been eating at TDEE for 3 months and I'm trying to make a very small cut currently. Finally, last week I started back on a running schedule. Probably too many changes for me all at once, but they're all things I've done in the past, but over the summer I gave my body some time to recover from what I've put it through.

So I have been lifting Tuesday and Thursday evenings after work (SO glad my gym is now including childcare in the membership price!) and Saturday mornings. My running group is running Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. Last week I ran with them on Monday and Wednesday and was just too tired to go Friday. We run before work, so we begin around 5 AM.

So I guess there is about 9 hours between my lifting and running, and then 36 hours before the next lifting schedule. I know that I should be taking it easy during my runs for recovery, but I used to be one of the fastest in the group (we aren't a fast group by any means... by "fast" I mean 3 miles in 30 minutes) and since I took such a break my pace slowed by a minute/mi or more. So my ego won't allow me to go even slower as the group is all running about the same speed now. My stupid pride won't let me be the slowest when I was once the fastest!

After my runs I'm really fatigued. I guess I'm just wondering if my body is likely to get used to this schedule or if I'm simply doing too much? Our runs are only like 30-40 minutes or 3-3.5 miles, so it's not like I'm training for a marathon. Thoughts?

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at what you are eating? You should be able to do both but you need to have the fuel to do it.
  • aliciaje
    Options
    I think either you will find your body will get used to it, and if not in a few weeks you are doing too much.

I am currently lifting Mon-Wed-Fri and I usually run for 30-1hr one day during the week and then either a long bike ride or hike on the weekends. Oh and I bike commute to work every day so that is 30mins light biking. I definitely felt slow and tired the first couple weeks of stronglifts since I was sore a lot, but now I feel like my running has improved. I also sometimes do HIIT during the week (if I feel like torturing myself) and find my sprint speed has improved greatly with strong lifts.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am doing a similar program. I think it was smart to take a day off when you were just too tired.. this happens to me every so often and it helps keep me sane. :)
  • decblessings
    Options
    I'm glad to see there are others that are doing the same and dealt with some exhaustion the first couple weeks. Today was my first running day (alarm didn't go off on Monday morning), but I feel ok. It probably didn't help that last week it was TOM. I'll push through! :) Glad to have found 5x5s and this board!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I trained for a marathon while doing SL5x5 but found that both were sufferring...so I had to make a decision. I stalled out on SL and kept up the running. Now that the marathon is over, I'm back to concentrating on lifting and doing minimal running.

Point is...one will always be able to help the other, but you won't be able to do both well.
  • HeatherOltmans
    HeatherOltmans Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also trained for a half while doing SL....and I found that I really couldn't let myself progress as much as *I could have* on squats especially, and get long runs in as well. I was ok if my runs were 3-4 milers, but the longer runs really suffered If I had lifted too much even if it was 3 days before! So, my race is Oct. 27 and once that is over I think I will be able to put a lot more into SL and increase my squats more without being afraid of how it will affect my long runs. :) Good luck!
  • decblessings
    Options
    I think I will just aim for 2 30-40 minute runs a week. Cardio helps my mood, but I'm enjoying the lifting, so I guess ultimately, that is my main focus.