Newbie Question for Deadlift

Options
MissMary02
MissMary02 Posts: 15 Member
What grip do you ladies find works best for you? Also, gloves, or no gloves?

I just started SL last week. Today will be workout 4. On my deadlift, I'm finding that I just can't seem to keep my grip. I wear gloves with wrist support so maybe that's where I'm messing up? I've tried overhand and a combo grip, neither of which seem really comfortable. My problem is that I have weak hands due to carpels tunnel but a strong back. lol My working weight right now is 135 lbs. Any suggestions on how I can improve this before I drop my bar in the middle of the set?

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Do you **need** the wrist support? If the gloves are what is keeping you from getting a grip, try lifting without them. I find that since my hands are small to begin with, wearing gloves doesn't let me get a good grip. If the problem is your grip strength, look up weighted farmer walks. At 135, I imagine a mixed grip would work better. If you find that the carpal tunnel keeps you from being able to get a decent strong grip, maybe consider using straps instead of gloves - but someone else will have to jump in there because I don't use straps. Good luck!
  • MissMary02
    Options
    It's not that it's needed I guess, just helps keep everything in line when doing the OHP and rows, etc. I could totally ditch them for a better grip with deadlifts since it's not really requiring in weight be ON my hands. Just hanging from them.
  • MissMary02
    Options
    And hmmm to the straps. That sounds like it might work. Anyone have any experience with them?
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have been told to go with chalk over gloves, as gloves add creases and can actually increase callus formation.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have been using gloves since I started (early August) and they have been fine. but the last 2 sessions I didn't use them and that was also fine. I do think that I could still go with or without gloves, but I can see where I may have had a better grip on my DL (120lbs). Anytime I thought I had callus' forming, they went away within a day. no problems.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use the combo grip...no issues yet..just did 140lbs

I am however looking for chalk as I noticed the last two times the last 2 reps were starting to sting a bit.

No gloves, no straps just bare hands and bar so far.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    hook grip the bar (just google hook grip for lots of images) it kinda hurts at first, but will give you one solid grip!! ditch the gloves and use chalk instead, and when you start lifting really heavy and can't hook grip anymore (i can still hook grip at my 1rm of 260) use lifting straps (but hold off on those as long as possible so you can get your grip strength up)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you could go without the gloves for deadlifts, and just use them where you need them for support. If you google straps + deadlift you should get some idea of how they work.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm also at 135lbs and just finished my w/o #4! At the end of my set yesterday I held the bar for as long as I could (only 7 seconds) and then I waited a few minutes and did one more DL and held it again (~10 seconds). You could also try hanging from a pullup bar for as long as you can after every workout. (I read both of these tips on message boards somewhere, I'm not taking credit just passing them on!)

FWIW I don't use gloves. My plan is to hold onto the bar after all my sets and hopefully my grip strength will continue to improve.. when I can't increase any more I will try a mixed grip.. when that isn't enough I will look into chalk.

Good luck!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You might want to give a mixed grip a shot. Just be sure when you lift the bar off the floor that the arm of the hand that is supinated (underhand grip) is straight. I would only do mixed grip on your working set/s, and continue to use an overhead grip on your warm up sets to build up your grip strength. If that doesn't work for you give straps a shot.
  • MissMary02
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I found out yesterday that my husband actually uses straps when he does his dead lifts so If it ends up that I have to go that route, atleast he's there to show me! For now though, I'll go with the no gloves and give the hook grip a go on my working sets and see if that helps. Also, thanks beccamh for the tips on improving my grip strength. I'll definitely add those little things into my workouts!
  • MissMary02
    Options
    So here's an update. Yesterday increased my deadlift to 145 lbs. Lifted without gloves and a hook grip and everything went smoothly =) Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    awesome! grip strength takes time, but is something you don't want to shortchange :)