I'm new. Looking 4 encouragement & weight loss friends!

Options
I am 39 and heavier than I ever thought I would be, 265lbs!! I thought I was fat at 220! I am a full time student and hold the couch down way too much. So, before I hit 40 I am making some changes!

My goal is to get to 190lbs and be able to run a 5k race!

Feel free to add me for reciprocal support!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started running in January and completed my first 5K in March. Now I am working on my first Half! If you are still in the beginning stages, come on over to the Couch to 5K group as well. There is a lot of support over there too! Welcome to the running world!

Just a heads up. Remember that weight loss is going to be a combination of diet and fitness, with diet taking up the majority. While running creates the calorie deficit to enjoy life, you will still have to watch what you eat and be smart about your indulgances.

Also, go get fitted for proper running shoes from a quality running store, one that can properly measure your gait and know what shoe will work for you!

Welcome to the running world!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with rduhlir above. I started running about three years ago but didn't lose a pound until I started MFP and educated myself about what I was putting in my mouth. Diet and running and a powerful tool. I lost 25 pounds in about 4 months and it really wasn't all that difficult. Congrats for taking the first steps into your fabulous 40s!
  • mustlovekale
    Options
    Hello new runner! :) What an amazing journey you have ahead of you. I agree with what the people above said, and I totally second the Couch to 5K program. I did that program when I wanted to started running, and now I've run 5 half marathons and I'm going to finish my first marathon (in two weeks!).
  • rlegg7
    rlegg7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Chetrchet! I am wondering how you've been doing! It's been a long time since your first post and I'd love to hear if you got into running and met some of your goals!

I started Couch to 5K a year and a half ago and I have since fallen in love with running! I really never believed I could love to run! I have not pushed myself much beyond 5K until now because I have had other interests (Zumba, weightlifting, etc.) but I am about to run my first 10K in June....eeeeee! Exciting! The first time I crossed a finish line I felt like I could do anything. It helps you to conquer stress and build your confidence. How can you go wrong, right?