first marathon 5 days away!

Options
My fist marathon is 5 days away! I am both nervous and excited. I have adjusted my goal time, I know I just want to finish. I think I should be ok there, I ran a 22 miler and two 20 milers without a problem, so unless something major happens I should be able to finish. Second goal 4:30. But my main goal is 4:10. My half PR is 2:00:30 which I just got smack in the middle of marathon training (the weekend before this half I ran a 20 miler on Saturday and got a PR on a 10K that Sunday) And I ran that half with a numb foot from mile 2 to 12. And the weather so far is predicting just about perfect running weather, low 34 high 57 partly cloudy with 55%Humidity. So I am really hopeful of the 4:10..

and a side note my 7 year old son ran his 5th 5k with me on Saturday and ran it it 35:50..I am pretty pround of him!

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your marathon! Sounds like you're prepared both mentally and physically--you're gonna kill it!

I ran my first this past weekend with a goal time of 4:20 (my half PR is 1:49:10, but I didn't want to stress out too much about sub 4:00). I hit the half mark at 2:09, so right on pace...then at mile 16 my back, hip, and knee started killing out of nowhere. Had to hobble the last 10 miles--final time of 5:16:02.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Good luck Sammy...you are as prepared as you can be. have a terrific race!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sammy you are going to do awesome, I just know it. You have trained consistently and put the work in. Can't wait to hear about it when it's over.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting this far!! You'll do great!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck. So many inspirations out here getting me excited to keep up my training for my first marathon next year.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Good luck Sammy!! You put in the training and that will carry you to the finish!!

Sidebar: I loooove running with my boys. i hope that I instill a love of it in them as we'll so they never have to struggle with health and fitness like I did/do!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good luck, as I often do, I'll offer my top three tips for race day (free of charge):

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast

Have fun!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Looking forward to reading the full race report here. :flowerforyou:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    have a blast!!!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

You sound well prepared.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son! I wish my boys would run. Of course you will finish your marathon! Have fun, enjoy the crowds
  • freckles369
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you luck too! I haven't run a marathon yet but I've heard it's best to aim to finish first & work on time goals in subsequent marathons. Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Love the 3 top tips you got ;)
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good luck, and dont worry about the time just have fun!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    Enjoy the race!
    Don't forget to let us know how it goes!:smile:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good luck, enjoy it, & have a fun run! First marathons are unforgettable! :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your first marathon! I have a good feeling that you are going to surprise yourself with a great PR!

Congrats to your son as well. I'm trying to get my daughter to run with me, but still no luck. She'll walk though.:smile:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your race. Remember to smile and enjoy everything you have accomplished to get here!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I'm running the Columbus (Ohio) Marathon on Sunday, looking to do it in less than 4 hours.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I'm running the Columbus (Ohio) Marathon on Sunday, looking to do it in less than 4 hours.

I'm doing the Columbus half!! Good luck with the full, and good luck to the OP, as well. You people are nuts ;)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I'm doing the Columbus half!! Good luck with the full, and good luck to the OP, as well. You people are nuts ;)

Good luck to you too! If we are nuts, you must be half nuts :tongue: !