Try something new challenge 10/16/13-10/23/13

Options
808malia
808malia Posts: 631 Member
I know everyone has been really busy lately but I think we should still make time to challenge ourselves. So this week try something new! Try a new fruit or veggie from your grocery store, a new piece of workout equipment at the gym, or a new healthy food item like greek yogurt or hummus... It does'nt really matter what it is as long as its a healthy choice and its new to you. I have been trying all the different types of squash in my grocery store, and I plan on trying beets this week :bigsmile: as well as trying a new piece of gym equipment... So try something new and share with the group! You might even enjoy it :drinker:

Replies

• just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Woohoo Malia!! I will definitely try something new this week. Not sure what it'll be yet, but I'll check back in once I have decided!
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I tried hummus this weekend. I especially liked the roasted red pepper hummus one. yummm!
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I bought baby eggplants the other day. I don't really know what to do with them or how to cook them, but can't way to experiment.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I bought two new things at the store yesterday. Eggplant, which someone said is good in stir fry, and DW said we are doing a stir fry soon (probably tonight.) Now, do I peel it or just chop it into squares?

Also bought Kale. Supposed to be a billion recipes for that stuff online. I'm not fully convinced on either of these, but I have them and will not let them rot in the fridge...
  • dinobunni
    Options
    I tried water aerobics for the first time yesterday and LOVED it! I also had some fat free cream cheese today and didn't like that lol. I have a lot more of it to eat though so I'm gonna stick to it. I joined a gym on Tuesday so I'm going to try all sorts of things! I'm excited!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of us Malia ;)

This week I tried storing milk in the cupboard but since that is not a good thing I think I am going to try from tonight forward for the rest of the week to get 8 hours of sleep! This means being in bed at 10 not 1. I feel sluggish and gross from not sleeping right!

Also I want to try another new fruit or veggie still trying to pick up the healthy things at the store!
  • Ignaura
    Options
    I bought two new things at the store yesterday. Eggplant, which someone said is good in stir fry, and DW said we are doing a stir fry soon (probably tonight.) Now, do I peel it or just chop it into squares?

Also bought Kale. Supposed to be a billion recipes for that stuff online. I'm not fully convinced on either of these, but I have them and will not let them rot in the fridge...

O dice it for stir fries. Cooks faster.

I've been thinking about trying kale. I've seen a lot of recipes for kale chips, and sounds like an awesome snack option
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    on tuesday i tried the elliptical machine for the first time. that thing is EVIL! oh my upper thighs burned after only 10 minutes. but, i'm getting right back on it tomorrow.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Jackie, I know how you feel about the elliptical ... same here! :laugh: It's new 'again' to me because I haven't been on it over the summer. I would much rather play tennis, but got rained out today so I forced myself to do it.

Love reading about everyone's 'something new'... and Dan, you are a stronger person than me if you keep the 'no spoiling in the fridge' pledge - I need to follow your lead! :ohwell:
  • 808malia
    Options
    You guys are all doing so fantastic! Thanks for embracing this challenge. I know it can be difficult to try new things, but it can also be exciting :bigsmile: Feel free to try as many new things as you want this week and share them with us. Good luck with all your new adventures!
    @dinobunni if you chop up some pickled jalepenos and mix them in the cream cheese it wont taste so funky :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Eggplant - dare I say it? Two thumbs up. DW wouldn't let me stir fry, however I did prepare it by itself. According to the Internet, the key to this is to salt it and let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse the salt off of it. I then sauteed rounds in a tsp of EVOO in a non-stick pan, lightly browning. What flavor! I will have this again.

Will the kale fair as well tonight? I have read about "Kale Chips," but baking it at 350 degrees for an indeterminate length of time, checking it every few minutes sounds like too much trouble right now. I'm thinking chicken breast in some fashion for dinner tonight. I'll see what I can find to do with kale to go with it.
  • Ignaura
    Options
    I just had roasted macadamia nuts... didn't really like them... I'll stick to macadamia ice cream :P
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I kind of tried something new today - the pool at my gym. Not that I've never gotten in a pool before, but I've never actually swam with the purpose of exercising. It was a work out, definitely!
  • 808malia
    Options
    Great "something new" Jess! Water exercises are always fun :) I tried chayote squash this weekend and it was ok, but I think I'll try to prepare it differently next time... It came out kinda tough :huh: If anyone knows a good way to cook this squash please let me know :)