I'm Officially Crazy!

Options
I did it...

I just registered ($100, non-refundable) for my first Ultra!!! Eeek, it's a 50K in Moab, Utah in March!

A little scared, but also very excited.

Oh have I also mentioned, that I haven't even run a marathon yet?

Yep, that'll be happening in January. So let's hope all goes well. I thought about waiting to register for the Ultra until after said marathon, but all the early registrations end before it. Plus, I did a lot of trail running over the summer, including pacing someone on a 100 miler, so I kind of know what I'm getting into. I THINK anyways...

My plan will be, after my marathon in mid- January, to just keep doing 20-22 milers on the weekends, but start adding more trail running into them. There's some trails about an hour away that are in more of a canyon-like setting, so snow (hopefully) shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any advice from fellow Ultra runners?!?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No advice from me, just a good luck and yes, you are crazy!:wink:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow! Go you!! I must say I'm not surprised and could've predicted this was the route you were going to go :-).

I'm thinking of registering for a 50k trail run in June, so I'm all ears for tips too. I've got Big Sur in April so I'll be upping the hill running before that anyway. I've got some trail shoes on my holiday wishlist too.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great plan! I intend to do my first ultra next year too! Trails are awesome
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have no real advice, since I've never done one. But as someone who procrastinates by looking up training plans, I will say that the KEY part of ultra training is having back-to-back long runs. That means, you'll do a 20-22 miler... but then do a 16-18 miler the next day (or something like that). The idea is that you are building your ability to run on super tired legs. :)
    But I'm jealous! I want to get a fast marathon in before I start thinking about ultras (plus I need to get out of Florida, the only trails we have here are alligator infested... it must be nice to have canyons relatively close!)
    Good luck!
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Can't speak from personal experience here, but my dad is someone who is crazier than you. He runs 50 and 100 mile races pretty regularly. He started with marathons and worked his way to ultras, then to 50's and finally 100's. His training runs are 30-40 miles multiple times a week getting ready for the 100, with rest a week before the actual race. Rest being "small" 10-15 mile runs.
    But like I said, he worked up to those. If it were me I'd start with a half, work my way to a full, THEN do an ultra. You want to be able to at least run the distance of your race beforehand, so I don't know if 20-22 miles will be sufficient enough for training. If your race doesn't have a ton of hills then if you only are doing 20-22 miles for training throw hills in with it, lots of hills.
    As for shoes, I don't think he uses hoka's for ultras, but I know he uses them for the 50's and 100's. If you haven't heard of them check them out. They look silly and are expensive, but according to him and his fellow 100 mile friends they are a dream for running long distances, they also last forever. Other than those he uses higher end Saucony running shoes for his training and shorter races. He has about six pairs, and each one serves a different purpose. I don't know what all they are, but I know one or two is for trail, and one is for the city (never sidewalk).
    Before the race do a carbo load, he always goes to a Chinese buffet or something similar and eats pretty much the whole buffet. Sounds disgusting, but he said it really helps him get through the race without feeling dead. Afterwards he does another carbo load, but not as extreme as the one the night before. He also ices his feet and legs in intervals. For the next week he does a ton of stretches and puts on some compressions leggings to help his muscles recover.
    Well hope this helped! My dad is 60 by the way and has done this extreme running for 10 years now.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness. Tell us how it goes--I think you'll be a bit hard-pressed for advice; the further you go, the fewer people have been there. Good luck!!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

I have ran several half marathons including a trail half, a 25K trail run, and a 17.1 mile mountain race with 5500' gain/ 4500' loss. This race will be 3500' of gain over the course of the 50K. I also run at least 10 miles or more every weekend (and working my way up to 20 for marathon training in January).

I think I'm going to buy a book on Ultra running, but I definitely like the idea of doing a 20-22 miler on Saturday and then following up on Sunday with a 16 or so. That should be very doable for me!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I think I'm going to buy a book on Ultra running, but I definitely like the idea of doing a 20-22 miler on Saturday and then following up on Sunday with a 16 or so. That should be very doable for me!

If you don't have it already, your first book purchase should be "Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons" by Bryon Powell. He's got training plans in there and advice for pretty much every aspect of ultra distance running. I'm currently 3/4 of the way through Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness" and I've found that to be an interesting read too.

Do you have a coach? I've considered getting a coach if I do indeed sign up for a 50k. Part of it is just because I do better when I have a really good plan to follow and am held accountable!

Hopefully Sarah will chime in. That first book I recommended was her idea; she also convinced me to try Hokas and I never want to wear anything else now.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Relentless Forward Progress was the one I was going to buy!

I read Scott Jurek's book a few months back and loved it (whenever I'm in Boulder I'm secretly hoping I'll run into him, lol...yet to happen, but I can keep wishing!).

I'll have to look into these "Hoka's". Right now I have Brooks Cascadia trail shoes, and they've been great so far.

A coach is a great idea in theory, but I honestly am not sure I could afford it (I know, it's all about priorities). I'll have to think about it though. I was kind of hoping I would find a book to be my unofficial coach...like Hal Higdon is for my marathon training.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I love it. I am inspired to do an ultra some day too. Can't believe I am saying that! A lot of miles to go first. First official half and full next year. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Relentless Forward Progress was the one I was going to buy!

I read Scott Jurek's book a few months back and loved it (whenever I'm in Boulder I'm secretly hoping I'll run into him, lol...yet to happen, but I can keep wishing!).

I'll have to look into these "Hoka's". Right now I have Brooks Cascadia trail shoes, and they've been great so far.

A coach is a great idea in theory, but I honestly am not sure I could afford it (I know, it's all about priorities). I'll have to think about it though. I was kind of hoping I would find a book to be my unofficial coach...like Hal Higdon is for my marathon training.

If you can't afford coaching I would try to find running groups or crews that meet and run together in your area. There membership fee is a lot less than coaching fees and depending on the group or crew they can offer a lot of support in training and planning in addition to company on long runs and accountability. Plus they can be a lot of fun!