Any bikers out there?

Options
I biked all trough my first pregnancy, up to my due date. My doctor hated it, because he meant it was extremely dangerous. I did a lot of online research about it, and felt it was still right and safe for me. You're balance might not be so good when you're pregnant, and a fall can harm the fetus. fair enough. But driving a car is also potentially more dangerous while pregnant. And I'm sure my doctor would never tell me not to drive.
Now that its getting close to my first check up, I'm starting to think I maybe should find another doctor this time around.
He was fantastic in all way, but this whole biking thing really annoyed me. Because he was so on it. He admitted that he would never ride a bike himself either, and was generally terrified of people biking in NY.
So I wonder if there are other bikers out there. Is this a common opinion among doctors, that pregnant women should not bike? Would I hear this even if I found another doctor?

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My doctors advised me to ride as much as I wanted until the 3rd trimester....when they figured my balance may be off. They did advise any cycling I do NOT be road riding because of the inherent danger of riding alongside cars/trucks. However, when I pointed out that the local trails are busy with families (who stop on a dime or go dangerously slow) they changed their reply to "go where you feel most comfortable."

I'm 31 weeks tomorrow and have not been on my outdoor bike as much as I thought I'd be, but I do use my spin bike at least once a week still.
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My nurse-midwife also is totally against biking. Apparently she has had more than one patient who has fallen and ended up with complications...

She is all for me riding a stationary bike at the gym, just not freely outside.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm only 15w with my first so I don't have much experience with the balance issue.

I asked my doctor whether I could exercise and he kind of laughed at me and then said yes.

I ride my bike to work once or twice a week and I occasionally go for a ride on weekends. Of course there's a risk of a fall or a car (or another cyclist) crashing into you and harming the baby.

The risk might be smaller in a car or when walking but so far, I didn't feel the need to stop cycling.
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    30 weeks here...my OB is completely against it. 1. the risk of falling 2. the risk of getting hit. 2 is probably the most likely scenario -too many people driving and not paying attention. I think 'no biking' is the opinion that most doctors will have.

That said, my OB was completely for spinning. So I am still spinning 2-3 days a week, just have to watch HR from getting too high (I keep 160 as my max - but mine has always run high - typical pre-prego max was 190-195) and need to keep from overheating. ie Lots of water and position myself closest to the fan.

It's hard to pull back from something you love, but the reward will be worth it! Good luck!
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was all for cycling. Through my own fault, I fell yesterday and fractured my wrist. Baby wasn't checked at the hospital but I had gone out of my way to protect belly and it all feels like before.

Your bones are apparently weaker, more prone to break, and as you know, you cannot take the "good" meds right now.

I'm now undecided. I need to workout, and I love doing it outdoors but right now, I can either exercise nor use my hand, so this might be worse.