Garmin connect

Options

Replies

• kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been using this for a while - I'm sure it used to tell me which run contained my fasted km, mile etc. now it seems that you have to run that distance (and stop) in order for it to be included in the fasted km stats.

I'd quite like to know how fast my fasted km is, is this information somewhere else?

Thanks,
    Steve

I'm new to using the Garmin but wondered this too as I've run over the distances but it hasn't logged them as a record. I'm comparing it to Strava, which I used previously and does all these things automatically, which is really useful and motivating.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also how do you no what your heart rates should be set at?

I bought a book called something like "heart rate training for the compleat idiot" (note the incorrect spelling of complete).

His theory is that most people don't train their heart properly. They don't work it hard enough, and they work it too hard when resting.

So he says there are 2 heart rate zones to worry about - your recovery ( < 70%) and your working (> 85%). It tells you how to work them out by finding your min and max. Finding max is brutal and requires doing intervals on a hill or treadmill until you burst.

The idea is then to do your intervals and tempo/sprint runs in your working heart rate - and then taking your long slow recovery run in your recovery zone.

The first few times I tried to run keeping my HR down I ended up walking lots - something he says is typical.

I recommend the book, it was only a few pounds from amazon and it's all about using a HRM when running.
  • kiekie
    Options
    Morning all. Think you can see my runs now? I didn't have any friends either I'm look for people to motivate and push me to go that little bit further not neccassarly commenting on all the things I do but asking the question could I have gone that little bit further.

I've been running for a while now but I did two runs in the same day a 10k and then a 5k and it really took it out of me. It was so hot as well. It has taken me a while to get over them and me able to run again for say 30mins I got up to an hour and 10mins. I have a few conditions that don't really help especially with fatigue but I will not let them get in my way. I don't have races planned yet but I'm looking at some for next year. This I feel has effected my training as I have nothing really to aim for. Very long term I would like to run an ultra and maybe do a triathlon.

Think I might get into a route with charging the watch. In the Callander part I surprised it does not say what people have done is that more for challenges or sort of group runs so to speak

Also how do you no what your heart rates should be set at?

Your two runs on the same day, was that London 10k and The Color Run by any chance? I thought about doing the London 10k but decided to do The Color Run instead for fun. It was SUPER hot that day!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just requested to join the group, the three numbers at the end of my forum name should help identify me.

Smiffy
  • ummmmm84
    ummmmm84 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I looked at it too. Maybe next year . it was a local 10k morning run. I worked for a few hours then did the 10k then my friend drove us to train station then did the 5k colour run it was soooo hot that day..

Thanx Steve for the book recommendation I'll have a look

Welcome to the group smiffy
  • kiekie
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like a helluva day!

I did an off-road 10k mid-September that it took me an age to get over too. My body strength really needs to catch up with my cardio fitness and enthusiasm!
  • ummmmm84
    Options
    My body needs to catch up with my enthusiasm hahahaha.

It's not very of ton that I get a race on my doorstep (it's was in the same town) so I couldn't resist. The colour run the came along I explained to a friend and said I think we can do it so we did. I think it helped with my 10k time. I didn't expect the heat tho. I don't do hot I think is what I learnt from this year and I'm not a morning runner better in the evenings. I do like to do abit of off roading I like the trails especially the woods
  • smiffy645
    Options

Welcome to the group smiffy

Thanks for adding me!
  • smiffy645
    Options
    Right, think I have managed to share my stuff and work out how to use groups on Garmin. How many of us do Parkrun?
  • ummmmm84
    Options
    Morning

I have done 1 on the park run front if that counts...they just start so early :). I did want a t-shirt but you have to do 50 of them

I'm still a little confused in the group front but I haven't gone on there to have a good look yet. Think my profile is open now to groups etc
  • kiekie
    Options
    I've also done one ParkRun. It really hasn't fit in with my schedule so far as I've been doing LSRs on the weekend and training for events and tend to need a rest day afterwards but I would like to do one at least monthly.

It would be good to have a virtual MFP race on Saturdays!
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    Right, think I have managed to share my stuff and work out how to use groups on Garmin. How many of us do Parkrun?

got my barcodes HERE but haven't used them yet - usually there is someone to do my long run with on a Saturday and am not quite up to a 5k first thing followed by 10+ miles with some super fit ultramarathoner, but am going to be brave and do the long run alone this Friday. Can't see myself doing parkrun more than once a month because I'm lazy and it's a massive effort for me to come in under 30 mins and I get more pleasure from running slowly but for a couple of hours
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    can we set group goals? I don't know how to use the features (does it have any?)
  • kiekie
    Options
    it's a massive effort for me to come in under 30 mins and I get more pleasure from running slowly but for a couple of hours

I'm the same. I like to keep a tab on my 5k time but I get so nervous about racing, even ParkRun, it's not all that enjoyable. But I'll try again soon as see if I can get the hang of chilling out and just getting on with it like a training run.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    any idea how we can communicate via the Garmin group thing or should we use this thread to talk?

I've started loggin my 5k time after seeing the personal best thing on garmin connect. It's a good distance to run at lunchtime here at work.
    I'd like to be able to run this regularly inside 30 minutes, but it nearly killed me doing it yesterday - my heart rate was up at 193.

So I need motivation to run this regularly. Does anyone fancy a virtual 5k group run? Simply run 5k next week and upload it to garmin connect.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    ok, am up for that - haven't even got my few sub 30 5ks on my garmin and I sometimes have the opportunity to join in a lunch time running group where there is one speedy runner (usually it is really slow) soooo yes please

don't quite know what to do with the group, it must have more to it? do we put stuff in the calendar or what?
  • smiffy645
    Options
    We could do a 5k or Parkrun (for those that do it) league. I'm in one on another forum and we use age grading as a way to keep it more fair.
  • ummmmm84
    Options
    I would love to run 5k in under 30mins. I did a 5k everyday challenge for 50 days not that long ago. I don't tend to go any less if I can help it.

Can we do a message to all in the group on Garmin connect or is it individual messaging?

Wonder about doing a virtual run every week like you would in a club run?
    I'm part of the running bug and they have set up quite a few virtual races/runs
  • smiffy645
    Options
    I can't see anyway to message the group or have some type of forum, might have to do that here?
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, another Garmin user here. I'd love to connect with like minded people for support and motivation. I have sent request to join the group, feel free to add me, my name on there is Maisa Squires.