Need Help using up to set my Daily Calorie Goals

Options
tchrnmommy
tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
If i'm trying to lose weight I have to have a calorie deficit. I know all about the logistic on BMR and calories to maintain...yadda yadda...I'm just trying to figure out how UP figures in to the equation. So if I look at the "resting burn" category, I'm assuming that is what I'd need to MAINTAIN my current body weight....Correct?

So here is my problem.....if that category is only like 1400 cals....and I excercise at 350 cals...then I'm not maintaining at least 1200 cals and I know that's not good? I only got my UP yesterday and this is probably why I'm having such a hard time losing weight. I'm only 5'2" (if I stretch a little ;)

Suggestions or guidance appreciated. Also feel free to add me christy.brooks.10.10.09@gmail.com

Replies

• Yuanashi
    Options
    I have also just started using Up, but how I figured things out was like this: The Up measures how much you move around during a day and gets the total burn which is how much you should eat to maintain your weight. I think the resting burn in Up app is like BMR... Or at least the number I get there roughly compares to the number I get for BMR from body composition measurement. If you have your MFP and Up accounts linked there will be automatic adjustment to your calorie goal in MFP.

So for example, my BMR is about 1357 kcal/day. And if I multipy that with 1.3 or something like that (there is calculators in the web that calculates this for you from your info if you say you are sedentary) I get maintaining calories (calories that you burn in normal everyday life, not including excersice) , which for me is around 1900 something, because my BMR is pretty low. Then I multipy that with 0.8 to get 20% off to get good calorie goal for losing weight. With me that number is 1466 kcal/day. Then I move around during day and log my workouts to Up etc and Up band gets my total burn which today was 2296 kcal this far because I went to Zumba. It estimates that I will burn 2403 kcal in total today (it is already pretty late here in Finland). Because MFP always assumes that you will burn 2000kcal/day (or at least I have not find any place where to change this) this equals 403 kcal to be adjusted and that shows up as Up adjustment calories in your exercise page at MFP.

I find this to be fairly accurate way to adjust your daily goal because I burnt 537 kcal at Zumba, but because my total energy spent today (without exercise) is below 2000 I only get 403 kcal to eat more. Before I just logged my exercise at MFP and I would have got all 537 calories to eat more, but this is not accurate because during the day I burnt less calories that what MFP thinks I did. Also if you go to the settings and also allow for negative adjustments it will scale down your goal lightly if you are not very active during the day. Of course this means that you have to sync your band at least in the morning and in the evening, and maybe also before dinner to know how much you can eat today.

Not sure if this explanation was very clear but hopefully it helps a bit :)
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes that was very helful. Yesterday was my first full day, so it made sense what you were saying.

Thanks
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was trying to figure it out too.

Thanks