Musicals and Theatre

Options
What musicals and theatre do you folks like? My partner is very into musicals so we go to the theatre a fair amount. My favourites so far have been Chess, Avenue Q, Priscilla the Musical, Lion King and Phantom of the Opera. I should try and get to see some plays more.

Replies

• imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ahh .. I really should go see a show sometime. Honestly, the last time I went, must have been early 90s! I saw Cats and Starlight Express .. thats how long ago ;)

You'll have to make some recommendations, or maybe we could all go together!
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    LOL! We saw Starlight Express earlier this year at the hippodrome. We so should catch a show together am sure Em would like that :-) We get some pretty good stuff touring locally.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    HEDWIG is coming to broadway!!! starring Neil Patrick Harris!!! omg, can't wait!!!
  • jakekaskey
    jakekaskey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HEDWIG is coming to broadway!!! starring Neil Patrick Harris!!! omg, can't wait!!!

Holy crap-balls how did I not notice?!? Well hell, if that's not inspiration for this queen to get my *kitten* into hottie shape I'm not sure what is!!!! :-)

And to other shows-- my absolute favs are actually from the late 90s/early-aughts (I think): The Civil War and Jeckyl and Hyde (and to tie it all in to loosin' weight, for any of you who sometimes feel like you're constantly battling your "inner Jeckyll" who says "go ahead and skip the gym" or "its alright, go pick up a quick dinner from McDonalds since you had a long day," check out the song Transformation from the show-- it's helped me when I need to turn up some music, let out my show queen and belt out some inspiration! :-)
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    arsenic and old lace was a fun one, I helped one of the actors prepare for his part. I tend to like comedies though but if it's catchy enough life is good.

another one I was fond of was wicked.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    For me, it's anything that has something I can do at karaoke. What gay boy doesn't want to be doing musical theatre songs at karaoke. Come on, if we don't do that, they'll take our gay card from us, right?

So lately, for me, it's been Jekyll and Hyde (This is the Moment, and Bring on the Men, which is great when a guy does it). I've always loved Pippin. Of course, the "musical" Bombshell. aka SMASH, NBC's TV show had some incredible numbers (Second Hand White Baby Grand, Don't Forget Me, Crazy Dreams, etc.). And who wouldn't want to sing "The King of Broadway" from The Producers -- at the top of your lungs being able to shout "Who do you have to **** to get a break in this stinking town".? And of course Wicked.

So many shows I'm forgetting. But keep them coming. There are so many.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I live for Priscilla the Musical!!! Me and my love like Rent, and I also dig Kinky Boots.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Love Rent! Totally forgot to mention that. Saw a one night only performance of it in London. I hope we get Hedwig here too, that would be awesome. Anyone seen Book of Mormon? As good as Avenue Q?
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Def Rent, Wicked, Phantom, Avenue Q! I kow some people cringe, but I love Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat...such a fun show to me!