Was weight loss stagnent when you first started Crossfit?

Options
Quick back ground...

I'm an active Cyclist I'm not a lance but I'm not weekend warrior either. I put the miles/time in on the bike and at the gym

I wanted to improve my cycling but also take my weight loss and fitness to another whole other level.

:smile: Crossfit was a no brainer and I have to say after my second week I love it.
I have a long road ahead of me but I'm not afraid to do the work.

In the mean time I've side lined the bike mostly because I'm brutally sore right now. :heart: :heart: :heart:

*I was in a bit of a plateau prior to starting, 2 weeks later no change and actually I'm up 2-3 lbs

Is this pretty normal?

Not sure If I'm just gaining muscle or water there's some sort of of fluid rentention due to being sore.

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Make sure you're eating enough for your activity level and it'll even out!
  • Possible_Infinity
    Options
    Thanks...

Trying to adhere to 1500 cals per day...

On the days I do crossfit I usually eat back most of my workout calories
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal because your muscles are sore and more likely retaining water. I doubt it is muscle gain as yet. Check your TDEE to ensure 1500 calories is enough, each person is different, want to ensure you are eating enough food.

I love crossfit and glad you are enjoying it as well

Good luck :)
  • momof2osaurus
    Options

Yeah, I'd check your TDEE too.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hit the 3 month anniversary with crossfit and I have not lost a single pound. In hindsight I wish I had lost some weight before starting crossfit, but I have still seen wonderful changes in my body. I am my own worst enemy in that I do not eat the way I should, but I'm becoming more and more motivated to do so.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am up about 15 since starting CrossFit 1.5 years ago. Shift your focus from 'Weight Loss' to 'Fat Loss'. If you cannot make that shift, then you might as well quit CrossFit now. Find someone who can do Body Fat % for you. Even taking measurements don't always work when you CrossFit. I've gained inches in arms and legs, stayed the same in the waist.

Also, 1500 calories is probably not enough. Check out the FB Page 'Eat to Perform'. Find your TDEE and minus 10%. I would not go more than that as how active you are.

Also, CF will make you sore at first that you cannot walk, sit, move your arms, etc but over time it will get better. I rarely am sore anymore and I go heavy. If I am, it is nothing that the warm up doesn't take care of.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks...

Theo, just for comparison I am 43, currently weight 287 and have been Crossfitting since July. Did not see much if any weightloss at first, but I was fine with that as I knew beyond question that I was getting stronger and fitter.

My gym started an eating challenge on September 9th. I weighted in at 304 (a bit high but I had been floating between 295-305 my whole crossfit time.) Diet is very strict paleo, drink a gallon of water a day and take 4 1000mg doses of fish oil. As of today I've lost 17 lbs since the start and am hoping for 10 more by October 9th when we finish.

I eat at TDEE and my target is 2600 calories a day. I sometimes go more but generally strive to be a bit short of that on a weekly basis.

I'm not sure of your size but given the amount of activity you are doing 1500 calories seems awfully low.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I agree with bostonwolf. When I started crossfit in May, it was awesome, was getting better and felt better, but scale wasn't moving. Wasn't until I started the Paleo challenge on July 1st that the weight started coming off. It ends on the 31st and I have lost 18 pounds and some ounces, hoping to hit 20 pounds total but will see. My entire house is Paleo, which made it way easier, because there is no processed food in the house at all. My son is 10 so every couple weeks, I take him for a treat because he does so great on it, and it helps him to not get frustrated. I also take fish oils, but not as part of the challenge. I hurt my knee back in July, and it just wasn't getting better, my coach one day asked if I take fish oils, and I said no, he said start taking them. My knee is great now, so am now able to start working on my OHS etc.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm in month 4 of CrossFit and I've stopped using my body scale. I know I'm up 5 pounds or so, but the results I'm seeing in the mirror and in my clothes are the proof. It's working. At first you will retain a ton of water. It's normal. After your muscles start to adapt that will even out.

I agree with everyone who says to make sure you eat enough to sustain the level of activity CrossFit demands. I'm bad about not eating enough and have to force myself sometimes.

Keep going though!
  • Possible_Infinity
    Options
    Thanks,

I appreciate all the advice!

The end game is still weightloss/fatloss... :smile: I'm close to my goal

I've had "Weeks" over the summer where I was burning 8-13000 calories between cycling and the gym.
    I hardly ever went over my calories those weeks.

I've bonked after a sesh of crossift but I've done that cycling as well. That's more of planning your meals correctly before your work out time though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I haven't bonked since I was training for the Boston Marathon 13 years ago. Got the runner's high halfway through a 15 mile run and it was all over after that. Fortunately I had a partner with me. He literally dragged my *kitten* for 8 miles, refused to let me quit on him.

We were running the Charles river and for the first half (of course) had the wind at our backs. We ran the last 8 into the teeth of a 15-20 mile per hour wind. I don't think I've ever slept so good as I did after that.
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    The end game is still weightloss/fatloss... :smile: I'm close to my goal

If your primary goal is watching the scale go down, CF may not be for you. It does not play well with the scale.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

I started losing again even though its at a much slower pace. The other thing I'm figuring out if I'm really sore I'm holding water, like today its friday I'm crazy sore and my weight is up a few lbs.

NBD...
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

I started losing again even though its at a much slower pace. The other thing I'm figuring out if I'm really sore I'm holding water, like today its friday I'm crazy sore and my weight is up a few lbs.

NBD...

BCAA's my friend... nothing better for muscle repair/soreness... along with foam rolling.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    BCAA's my friend... nothing better for muscle repair/soreness... along with foam rolling.

Thanks, I've heard good things about BCAA's... Definetly going to pick up a bottle soon.

I had some knee pain prior to crossfit that I resolved with a roller. I'm roller Junky :tongue: I even bought the brutal rumble roller for using at home. I'll do the regular roller then go back over with the rumble roller. The results are fantasic.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What is BCAA? I'm on week 3 of crossfit (my first week of real classes) and haven't lost any weight yet but I'm so sore I can hardly move so I assume I'm holding onto water?
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My protein shake has BCAA's in it and I do find I'm not very sore post workout. It's Vega Sport. I am considering another type, but so far it's been working. I'll have to see.

I only just started, but i'm hoping with a Paleo challenge i'll see some weight fall off. Looking to drop another 30lbs.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I gained a few when I first started..undoubtedly from muscle. Never lost any just from crossfit, only lost weight after I started eating Paleo despite eating the same amount of calories I was eating when I was non-paleo
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is watching the scale go down, CF may not be for you. It does not play well with the scale.

this...so much this. CF is more about getting strong and fast and good at everything.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I take Catalyst from Advocare because that's what my box sells, but is there one you recommend?

Also, their bottle says to take them BEFORE a workout, but I hear people in here say they take after. Is there a difference?