Endinburgh Marathon Festival

Options
josywosy
josywosy Posts: 49 Member
Is anyone planning on taking part in any of the events next year or done it in the past?

I'll be doing the half marathon and it will be my first.

Replies

• kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Toying with the idea but not quite ready to commit yet! :) I know I'll need to make a decision really soon though or all the places will have gone.
  • josywosy
    Options
    I literally just registered for the half! Eek! Well at least I have loads of time to get ready.
  • I also registered for the half over the weekend there. Only done 10Ks up till now. Am officially bricking it!

See you there hopefully!
  • josywosy
    Options
    Woo hoo! Good for you!

I can't wait to do it, but I'm super nervous. As long as I finish I'll be happy! Eek
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I did the half marathon this summer. I am contemplating the full marathon, but I want to get my half marathon at a better time too. I was considering the rock n' roll half marathon :)

The half marathon was great. I am not a fast runner what so ever. I just took my time, chatted to other runners, jumped up and down for photos, took advantage of the cookies, jelly beans that kind folk were giving out and generally had an amazing time. I finished in 2:32 which is jogging pace, but I was glad that I didn't stop once, and kept a nice even pace. I noticed a lot of people would sprint off, walk, sprint, walk, continuously, and I gradually over took them. Just find your comfortable pace and stick with it and don't get stressed out with other people running faster then you (something I learned at the Great Ireland Run).

You get an option to do the kilomathon as well, which I highly recommend. It certainly made me realise how much more training I needed to do. It was a great atmosphere as well, as it ends in Murrayfield stadium.
  • josywosy
    Options
    I did the half marathon this summer. I am contemplating the full marathon, but I want to get my half marathon at a better time too. I was considering the rock n' roll half marathon :)

The half marathon was great. I am not a fast runner what so ever. I just took my time, chatted to other runners, jumped up and down for photos, took advantage of the cookies, jelly beans that kind folk were giving out and generally had an amazing time. I finished in 2:32 which is jogging pace, but I was glad that I didn't stop once, and kept a nice even pace. I noticed a lot of people would sprint off, walk, sprint, walk, continuously, and I gradually over took them. Just find your comfortable pace and stick with it and don't get stressed out with other people running faster then you (something I learned at the Great Ireland Run).

You get an option to do the kilomathon as well, which I highly recommend. It certainly made me realise how much more training I needed to do. It was a great atmosphere as well, as it ends in Murrayfield stadium.

Super helpful! Thanks so much!

I think the rock n roll half marathon would be fun as well.

Hopefully I'll see you all there!
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    Definitely see you there! Especially for the cookies off random strangers.
  • ChocolateSnowflakex
    Options
    I've never done a half or full marathon before. Only done 10K.
    Hoping if I sign up for the full marathon now though it will be that extra push of motivation I need but with a realistic training schedule :)
  • josywosy
    Options
    I've never done a half or full marathon before. Only done 10K.
    Hoping if I sign up for the full marathon now though it will be that extra push of motivation I need but with a realistic training schedule :)

You should do it! You should be able to do it. If you can't find a training schedule that works for the full, do the half. I'm using the my Asics training plan.
  • ChocolateSnowflakex
    Options
    My charity place application is in :)

I'm doing an 8-week pre-training schedule start this week then after Christmas I'll start the half-marathon plan :)
  • josywosy
    Options
    My charity place application is in :)

I'm doing an 8-week pre-training schedule start this week then after Christmas I'll start the half-marathon plan :)

Fantastic! Good stuff! You'll do great!
  • clanander
    clanander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would really like to do the full marathon, I'm not sure I have one in me, a half is challenging enough. I'm a plodder though, so maybe?! I always think to myself, hell if Eddie Izzard can do multiple marathons day after day with no training, I can surely complete ONE!

I haven't signed up, YET, £50 is quite steep...unlike the course.....plus point!!!

Winter training isn't much fun though. :-/
    I guess I need some motivation.

Would you girls mind if I add you? I'd like to follow how you go and if I'm brave I may ask Santa to pay my entry fee.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did the Full Marathon in 2011 and loved it. It's a great flat-ish course but was quite wind-y on the return leg into Musselburgh.
    I've also done both Rock N Roll Halfs and they were great - it's an awesome route around central Edinburgh - more Edinburgh based than the Festival of Running route.
    I'm planning on volunteering this year at the Festival of running so might see some of you there!
    Lx